Official Complaints Thread

Re: Overpowered Raiden

Yeah, there' a reason they put a dash into this game.

Good, but not overpowered. His electric fly is really punishable. There is a sweet spot where Raiden is a little safer, but most of the time his electric fly is punished by a full combo. People need to break the habit of punishing spinning aerial opponents with uppercut. Dash up and do a full combo. Condition your opponent to not carelessly throw out unsafe moves. Block and punish a few times and they should learn; if not, keep punishing.

^^ I couldn't have said it better myself!

While Raiden might pretty much be the best MK9 character in his state right now doesn't mean he's a god character (well, you know what I mean).

There are so many ways to counter attack a special move in this game that, your not being able to uppercut a blocked special move, doesn't make it overpowered. Some special moves have greater punishment windows than others. But it's all part of the balancing of each character. Trust me, if Raiden's special moves (or EX moves) seem unfair, he's more than likely weak in other areas of his combat palette.

Just like the first time you fought Goro, Kintaro or Shao Khan (or all of them in the same fight)... they seem cheap and unbalanced, but with time and practice, you get to learn their weaknesses and punish them as much as you can... and want.

It really is not that hard compared to other games today. (and especially back a decade ago...)

Patience and observation is key.

Last edited:

But thats besides the point. His move isn't as punishable as most other peoples... You shouldn't have to dash into a combo to beat him... honestly, thats broken if thats the only way to punish a flying raiden. Besides, his recovery time from that move is ridiculously fast.

His fly, unless properly spaced, is no more/less punishable than other moves that leave the opponent aerial and spinning. Yes his fly is the fastest special in the game, but that doesn't make it overpowered. Like I said, reading/conditioning your opponent is key. If you're getting hit by raw electric flies, either your opponent is reading you very well or you are doing very unsafe things yourself. Getting hit by too many aerial EFs? Stop carelessly jumping in on him. Getting hit by it after a blocked string? Do a safer string, block and punish. Electric fly is a good move, but definitely not overpowered in any sense of the word.

Need I say more? His Electric Flying move is too powerful and too fast, with too little recovery time.

It does 10% damage in two hits. That move is just way too powerful. If someone blocks it and Raiden starts spinning in the air, there is a big gap between him and the opponent, meaning the blocked attack isn't punishable by uppercut. Has anyone tried this? Playing online before PSN down, and I haven't ran into any Raiden players. Hes so OP, its not even funny...

I use raiden every time I play online, I dont know why you tihnk he's over powered. His electric fly is so fast probably because his projectile is so slow, and I mean that thing is slow. It can easily be blocked at almost any time. However, the EX projectile where it shoots both directions rarely misses making it a good match ending move, and you can build combos after it.

Last edited:

Why does everybody say his Superman move is OP,Learn how to block people..........if anything its his teleport that is broken, does anybody agree? *crosses fingers*

I don't feel anything from Raiden is broken, but his teleport is amazing. Definitely stronger than his EF.

Just read and watch videos about how to counter moves, when to block and when to attack. It's all over the net.

It's like any sport... you can't master the game after your first few tries.

Raiden's EF will be a joke after a little bit of practice, trust me.

Your wrong. His move is the Fastest, yes. And no, I'm not getting hit by them at all, but rather I cannot punish him for doing it. What I myself like to do and what others have done to me is do the electric move as the opponent is standing up. Most of the time, they aren't ready for it and hence, get it. Others, they know its coming but they cannot block it, such as me.

Also, how do you figure I 'carelessly' jump in on him? I consider myself a moderately decent to good player. I don't do things randomly and I do know how to read my opponents.

"Getting hit by it after a blocked string? Do a safer string, block and punish." What does this even mean? I've already said I block, he bounces back and spins. I uppercut and miss. I'd have to dash to him to string a combo, which shouldn't be the case. I -should- be able to uppercut him as punishment... just like the rest of the characters.

Edit; Also, how do you think any special is worth 10% damage? It's totally overpowered in EVERY sense...

Your wrong. His move is the Fastest, yes. And no, I'm not getting hit by them at all, but rather I cannot punish him for doing it. What I myself like to do and what others have done to me is do the electric move as the opponent is standing up. Most of the time, they aren't ready for it and hence, get it. Others, they know its coming but they cannot block it, such as me.

I'm sorry but you're doing it wrong if you can't punish the special. How can you see the move coming but not block it? Hold down the block button, not like it randomly mixes up mid or low.

Also, how do you figure I 'carelessly' jump in on him? I consider myself a moderately decent to good player. I don't do things randomly and I do know how to read my opponents.
I wasn't saying you personally fall for this. It's something that happens to a lot of players, I was speaking generally. And if you're struggling with an unsafe move, you obviously can't read your opponents well enough.

"Getting hit by it after a blocked string? Do a safer string, block and punish." What does this even mean?
A blocked string is a series of attacks you do that your opponent blocks. If he reversals right after with an EF and you get hit you either:
a) were not holding block
b) did an unsafe string.
Either block afterwards or do a safer string.

I've already said I block, he bounces back and spins. I uppercut and miss. I'd have to dash to him to string a combo, which shouldn't be the case. I -should- be able to uppercut him as punishment... just like the rest of the characters.
There is absolutely no reason to punish a spinning aerial opponent with an uppercut. It does 12%. Do a combo and get a free 30-50%. It makes absolutely no sense. I'm sorry but learn to punish better. And stop claiming that the move is harder to punish than other specials that act similarly; only difference is you need to dash, which is already the case for some specials.

Edit; Also, how do you think any special is worth 10% damage? It's totally overpowered in EVERY sense...

10% scales quite a bit in a combo. The only really strong thing about EF is that it carries the opponent very far, letting Raiden get enemies into the corner easily.

I'm not so sure Raidens fly is faster then Kabals dash
Tom Brady confirmed that Raiden's fly is the fastest (non-enhanced) special.

Last edited:

I'm sorry but you're doing it wrong if you can't punish the special. How can you see the move coming but not block it? Hold down the block button, not like it randomly mixes up mid or low.

How can you say I am doing it wrong when you haven't seen me play? I'm starting to doubt your skill level and your knowledge of Raiden. -I- myself use Raiden pretty often, and I find my roommate (who happens to be on equal skill level as me) to be pretty easy when I am using Raiden, but when hes Raiden as well, we both have trouble...

Oh and I do block the majority of these EF's... but sometimes, you want to pull off a move, such as Scorpions teleport when your standing up, but he does the EF, which automatically cancels any other move your trying to pull... Raiden's EF is simply overpowered and plows through every characters specials.

I wasn't saying you personally fall for this. It's something that happens to a lot of players, I was speaking generally. And if you're struggling with an unsafe move, you obviously can't read your opponents well enough.

I don't fall for this move, I often block it. Sometimes I fail though, and it gets me. Regardless, you still have to DASH to be able to start up some sort of punishment for being blocked... but sometimes, if you aren't fast enough (Professionally fast) then you miss your chance because Raiden is already on the floor ready to do another attack... Its just cheap, admit it. Nothing you say makes sense, because it doesn't work that way... or how your making it out to be.

There is absolutely no reason to punish a spinning aerial opponent with an uppercut. It does 12%. Do a combo and get a free 30-50%. It makes absolutely no sense. I'm sorry but learn to punish better. And stop claiming that the move is harder to punish than other specials that act similarly; only difference is you need to dash, which is already the case for some specials.

Thats a retarded excuse, no offense. Seriously, think about it. Do you expect a noob to understand this concept? This game was made noob-friendly, but when you have people that uses Raiden, and you are EXPECTED to be able to pull off a combo via dash, then thats broken. Simply put. Besides, even after the dash, Raiden's EF recovery time is RIDICULOUSLY SHORT, meaning you don't even get to pull the combo off... this I've seen and tried just now in fact with my roommate.

And please do elaborate on the 'similar' special moves of characters that have the same concept as this EF move.

-Does it do the same amount of damage?
-Does it REQUIRE them to dash towards the bouncing opponent?
-Does it have SHORT AS HELL recovery time?
-Is it easy to SPAM?

10% scales quite a bit in a combo. The only really strong thing about EF is that it carries the opponent very far, letting Raiden get enemies into the corner easily.

Thats ridiculous, how is he not overpowered. His special EF alone does that much damage... The damage percent of the move itself is too powerful, much less the recovery time and how it basically moves him and his opponent to the other side of the map...

Tom Brady confirmed that Raiden's fly is the fastest (non-enhanced) special.[/QUOTE]

Whose Tom Brady, when did he say this

An extremely good MK9 player. He frequently posts on TYM, and is regarded as one of the most knowledgable MK9 players. He said this during the Power Up 2011 (which he won) stream, when Markman asked if Kung Lao's spin was the fastest special in the game. "Fast" refers to the start up frames of the move, not the traveling speed.

Why does everybody say his Superman move is OP,Learn how to block people..........if anything its his teleport that is broken, does anybody agree? *crosses fingers*

Because it is. His Transportation move is not quite as OP as his EF move. If you are expecting it, you can easily just press grab, to counter his grab or whatever. I do agree though, that move is fast too. Everything Raiden seems too fast and too strong... it needs tweaking and balancing.

I use raiden every time I play online, I dont know why you tihnk he's over powered. His electric fly is so fast probably because his projectile is so slow, and I mean that thing is slow. It can easily be blocked at almost any time unless there jumping at you close range. I find it useful to distract people however, I shoot his projectile all the way across the screen and there sitting there waiting to block it, and because his projectile is so slow you can actualy teleport right after it and show up behind your opponent right as there blocking it for a free combo. But for the most part his projectile is useless, the EX projectile where it shoots both directions however almost never misses making it a good match ending move. As far as the electric fly goes, if you block it, just like most teleport moves, he just sits there and spins in the air waiting to be killed, so its best used at the end of a combo, because you can send them into the corner where I think raiden can do the most damage. But if you want to complain about a move being too fast try playing against Kabal.

I play Kabal as well. His only fast move is the running, which it should be for its concept. Problem is when he spins in the air, you cannot punish him until you get close to him, but sometimes its too late, and hes already recovered... His recovery time for that move is simply too fast. Theres a gap between him and you when he bounces back from a blocked EF.

"Fast" refers to the start up frames of the move, not the traveling speed.

Oh, ok gotcha. I thought the fastest would refer to the speed of the move. I don't know all that much about fighting games, learnin pretty fast though. i'm listening to this tom bardy guy right now on this radio recording

How can you say I am doing it wrong when you haven't seen me play? I'm starting to doubt your skill level and your knowledge of Raiden. -I- myself use Raiden pretty often, and I find my roommate (who happens to be on equal skill level as me) to be pretty easy when I am using Raiden, but when hes Raiden as well, we both have trouble...
Because the move IS unsafe. If you're not punishing it, you're doing something completely wrong. No way around that.

I don't fall for this move, I often block it. Sometimes I fail though, and it gets me. Regardless, you still have to DASH to be able to start up some sort of punishment for being blocked... but sometimes, if you aren't fast enough (Professionally fast) then you miss your chance because Raiden is already on the floor ready to do another attack... Its just cheap, admit it. Nothing you say makes sense, because it doesn't work that way... or how your making it out to be.
How does it not work that way? If you can't react fast enough to a blocked EF with a dash, you're the problem, not the move.

Thats a retarded excuse, no offense. Seriously, think about it. Do you expect a noob to understand this concept? This game was made noob-friendly, but when you have people that uses Raiden, and you are EXPECTED to be able to pull off a combo via dash, then thats broken. Simply put. Besides, even after the dash, Raiden's EF recovery time is RIDICULOUSLY SHORT, meaning you don't even get to pull the combo off... this I've seen and tried just now in fact with my roommate.
"Noobs" have no right to call a move OP. They have a lack of understanding of basic gameplay and do not understand how to properly play. Any one at a semi-skilled level should be able to dash in and do at least a combo string into a special. It's not difficult to double tap forward before you do a combo like you normally would.

And please do elaborate on the 'similar' special moves of characters that have the same concept as this EF move.

-Does it do the same amount of damage?
-Does it REQUIRE them to dash towards the bouncing opponent?
-Does it have SHORT AS HELL recovery time?
-Is it easy to SPAM?
Similar meaning spinning aerial after it's blocked. The move does not have short recovery time, get that out of your head. The move is only easy to spam if you have a brain dead opponent who does not block and punish.

Thats ridiculous, how is he not overpowered. His special EF alone does that much damage... The damage percent of the move itself is too powerful, much less the recovery time and how it basically moves him and his opponent to the other side of the map...
Again get the thought out of your head that the move is safe by any means on block. The damage scales pretty badly in a combo. And a raw 10% for a very high risk is hardly broken.

Also, you might want to recheck your argument. Several people in this thread have already agreed with me or said something similar. Not a single person has reinforced your side.

Last edited: