How the hell did you guys beat MK 2 ? (PSN)

To NYC Scorpion and anyone else having trouble with MK2: A trick that worked in the arcades works for all the MK2 ports: switch your controller to player 2. Seriously, as player 2, you can jump at the A.I. (unless they've just "recovered" from something such as a projectile or getting knocked to the ground). With any character, you can jump at the A.I. from just the right distance (half screen maybe) and knock them out of the air by kicking at the height of your jump as they'll attempt to neutral jump to knock you out of the air. This doesn't work on Baraka from what I remember because his jump kicks are so strong. Or, if they block your jump kick, block the projectile (if they throw one) and retaliate with a roundhouse or uppercut or sweep (depends on characters' recovery).

You can also use a cheap tactic I always used: when the A.I. approaches you, once again when you are player 2, wait until they are about sweep range and empty jump at them (don't punch or kick). This will put them in a retreat. They will continue to retreat to their own corner as long as you follow them. If you stop, they will retreat until they hit the edge of the screen; then they'll stop and throw a projectile. Jump the projectile and hit them with a jump kick combo.

This may sound confusing but once you get the hang of these tactics, the MK2 A.I. is truly easy. If I had a way to show you guys I would. Just remember this: be player 2, never throw out a random special, use jump kicks, and learn the "making the CPU retreat" trick. These tricks work with all 12 characters on the hardest difficulty.

I am absolutely being owned to death by either Raiden, Kitana or Mileena.

This game is ****ing hard, wow...

MK2 is by FAR the hardest MK. I breezed right through UMK3 and MK1. In MK2 you have THREE boss fights. Shang, Kintaro and Kahn. Kintaro is a ***** to fight...

MK2 is not that bad, Some of the fights start getting challanging higher up in the ladder, but for the most part the only character who is guaranteed difficult to beat is Kintaro. (Sub-Zero and Lui Kang are kinda tough if you get them close to the end). As for kintaro I recomend beating him with Sub-Zero, Baraka, or kitana. Sub-Zero's Iceball grants you free upper cuts. Baraka can catch him in the air with his arm blades which makes the fight a lot easier. Kitana can jump kick and throw a fan imediatly afterwards which is suprisingly effective.

Kintaro is only difficult if you don't know the jump kick trick to beating him with any character. Basically if you walk towards him from a little outside sweeping distance and do an immediate jump kick by holding up/towards and immediatly pressing high kick.. if you time that right usually he'll try to uppercut you but you hit him with the jump kick. I usually go by feeling so maybe someone else could tell you the exact distance.

Also he falls prey to Raiden and starting out with a jump kick then repeating teleport, round kick, teleport, round kick until he's dead or you mess up and then start it over again with a jump kick and then teleport.

i just beat mk2. that game is hard! i beat kintaro with kitana and i beat shao kahn with baraka. with kitana you do that move where she waves her fans and as stupid as kintaro is he will walk right into it and then you jump toward him and uppercut and then jump kick then the fan move again and so on. kahn is much easier than kintaro but strong just like kintaro. he can kill you just as fast. but he has even less brains than kintaro. so you just gotta sometimes wait till he taunts you and uppercut him and then do whatever characters moves to him and repeat. i think the hardest boss was shang tsung. grrrr he took more tries than kahn and kintaro combined lol. i beat him with baraka and chopped his head off for being so ****ing hard.

I am absolutely being owned to death by either Raiden, Kitana or Mileena.

This game is ****ing hard, wow...

Agreed, lol silly Raiden ;)!

But Nice tips everyone I hope they are helping the fellow frustrated out.

As for kintaro I recomend beating him with Sub-Zero, Baraka, or kitana. Baraka can catch him in the air with his arm blades which makes the fight a lot easier.

my god i had to of spent like 45 minutes last night trying to beat kintaro until i came across this post and beat him in like 3 tries. that mk II trophy is all mine now, thank you sir

I seriously need help beating MK2 on the 360. I get up to the 5th or 6th fight and then I get thrown around, literally.

I seriously need help beating MK2 on the 360. I get up to the 5th or 6th fight and then I get thrown around, literally.

There's a couple of options. Baraka's blades are very effective, do tons of damage (3 or 4 should win any non-Boss fight), and the AI tends to walk into them constantly. You can really punish aggressive characters like the female ninjas with him. Speaking of, you can use the female ninjas too. Kitana takes a little more skill, the AI tends to walk into the fan lift a lot, but you need to be good with the combos to get the heavy damage. I tend to be a Mileena dude, jump kick - Teleport kick usually will hit more often than it won't but when the AI blocks you usually get uppercutted. There's also the old standby of choosing Raiden and Superman-ing the snot out of the AI but I've had varied luck with that.

Also when you get to Kintaro, the key is to jump kick, walk TOWARD him, and do it again. It goes against what your brain is telling you what you SHOULD do (jump kick and jump back, since that works against nearly everyone else to that point), but it keeps Kintaro from being able to attack since his reaction time is slow.

I, for one, thought that UMK3 in MKAK was much more difficult than MK2....but then again I played the shit outta the PSN port of MK2 up until the release of MKAK. That trick to make the CPU jump towards you works like a charm. However I DO agree that MK2 is a rather difficult game in general....cheap ass AI!!

Okay, does this play EXACTLY like the Arcade version did?

Yes MK 2 is hard to beat but there are ways and once you learn them, it then becomes straight forward, if not very boring. Most of them employ jumping back and kicking. It's very lame. Don't even think about jumping in on the comp or trying to throw the computer. The comp will nuetral jump kick or if its someone like Kitana (anyone with an anti air move), just use fan lift and you will always be out thrown. Sweeping also works quite well. If you stand still blocking the comp probably walks up and just hammers you with low punches or a throw, right?

The game is easier to win if you use certain characters that can combo off of a back flying kick like Raiden, Scorpion or Reptile for example. Characters like SZ make the game interesting because things like ice puddle make the comp back off if I remember rightly, which allows you to cheese the comp out as it usually just walks forward ready to pwn.

Do some characters manage to "walk" through Scorpions spear on occasion.

I got to Kintaro and just quit.

Shao Kahn in MK9 is a piece of cake compared to the bosses in MKII.

MKII on very easy is way harder than MK9 on expert.

I can't even get halfway through the ladder on the PSP version (MAT).

My friend is a beast in the first two games, he's 29, he grew up playing those games in the arcades, he was playing at my place with my MK9 stick, I think that he only lost twice against the cpu, I do kick his ass in MK9 tho, cause he just couldn't adapt to the dial-a-combo system.

I got to Kintaro and just quit.

Shao Kahn in MK9 is a piece of cake compared to the bosses in MKII.

MKII on very easy is way harder than MK9 on expert.

I can't even get halfway through the ladder on the PSP version (MAT).

My friend is a beast in the first two games, he's 29, he grew up playing those games in the arcades, he was playing at my place with my MK9 stick, I think that he only lost twice against the cpu, I do kick his ass in MK9 tho, cause he just couldn't adapt to the dial-a-combo system.

Don't let Kintaro corner you because it really will be game over then. You can kick him out the air when he telestomps.

Incidently, Shao Kahn is very easy to beat.