GameSpot's Mortal Kombat 20th Anniversary Retrospective

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
GameSpot has finally posted their comprehensive 20th Anniversary Mortal Kombat Retrospective documentary. GameSpot stops by <a href="http://www.netherrealm.com">NetherRealm Studios</a> and <a href="http://www.chicagowushu.com">Chicago Wushu</a> to interview the team members about the genesis of the original <a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat">Mortal Kombat</a>. Over the twenty minutes they sit down and interview the game's sole programmer <b>Ed Boon</b>, character and animation artist <b>John Tobias</b>, background artist <b>John Vogel</b>, audio engineer & composer <b>Dan Forden</b>, <b>Carlos Pesina</b> who played <b>Raiden</b>, <b>Daniel Pesina</b> who played <b>Johnny Cage</b> and the ninjas, and <b>Ho Sung Pak</b> who played <b>Liu Kang</b> and <b>Shang Tsung</b>.

<center><iframe width="480" height="270" src="http://www.gamespot.com/videoembed/6378022&vidSize=480" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe></center>

This was really well done and I'm hoping we see further documentaries from various outlets as this year continues.

Wow that was great seeing John Tobias! I wonder if Ed ever threw out an invitation to come back and be apart of the team?

Great little retrospective that brought back memories of growing up in the arcades playing the original Mortal Kombat then the whole hysteria around II. A lot of the info points have been brought to light but enjoyed the little stories of for example when the Pesina's and John got side swiped by ta car on their way to shoot. Interesting stuff!

Great! Im so happy with this Documentary!

See a 20th Anniversary game remake will be so special for all fans. Fights in the past divide the team and actors, but i believe that all the bad things that happen, now are part of the past and all they will be happy to make something together again.

Congratulations MK Team and actors for the great work you did and still doing for this game that have a lot of fans around the world!

Damn what an awesome Documentary/interview with the people that started it all. Thanks for the memories
This is the reason I got into gaming.

Anyone knows if Ed and John are enemies or something?

Gamespot did really good, buy they forgot sonya and kano.

Overall I was shocked at how good ho sung pak looks, he didnt age at all, I remember seeing him in WMAC masters and thinking, damn, he would make a good liu kang for the movie without knowing he was the real liu kang from the game.

I am SO glad that you included a warning for Carlos in your paragraph, it prevented a surprise heart attack <3

Anyone knows if Ed and John are enemies or something?

I don't think they were ever enemies, they just had creative differences and John went on to other things. Considering he was around while MK9 was in production, I would assume there was no ill will.

Good video. I just cant believe that nothing is being done for the 20th anniversary. I mean I would have waited a year for the arcade collection if I knew nothing was being done this year.. Kinda lame.

Good video. I just cant believe that nothing is being done for the 20th anniversary. I mean I would have waited a year for the arcade collection if I knew nothing was being done this year.. Kinda lame.

I agree, i feel the same way just like most of you especially after what happened with the extra content released for the PSVita, if NRS can only release the extra content released for the Vita for the home consoles id be happy with that Mortal Kombats 20th Anniversary is just tight around the corner in August since MK1 was released in the arcades and i would hate for august to pass by without anything from NRS

I don't know about you, but after the shit that happened with Midway, the fact that MK was even able to make it to a 20th anniversary is satisfying enough for me

I hope they do a 20th year anniversary for Mortal Kombat 2. I would love to see the Actress who played Kitana, Mileena, and Jade,