Old schoolers, what do you think of the demo?

I honestly wish they would go back to 2D Mortal Kombat. Ever since they went 3D, the game just hasn't had the same feel....I like the old style. A fatality just isn't the same when it's not a 2D model that is detailed and actually looks like a real person, as opposed to a 3D 'cartoony' character.

To above poster, They could definitely make the 3d models look real.. Look at fight night champion.. Now if they made the characters like that, but dressed up like mk, then I'd be impressed. Overall I like the demo, but the sound is definitely lacking. Mileenas sai's were the only effects that stood out to me as bring good. The music right before a fatality is lame, the announcer is horrible. And the females are way too beefed up, look like transvestites.. Overall character design/style was way off and I do agree, catroony.. But it's still fun to me in an enhanced mk deception kinda way. (I actually kinda liked deception) but next time they should go for models that look as real as fight night.

Well said gamemk, I do like the look & feel though like others have said with this new MK. I think THIS MK is what Deception should have been more or less far as the look and design.

Other then that I gotta say that it seems like the only character that stays consistent in MK games is Scorpion, his look, animations and special moves etc. If they would just stick with what works like Reptile has gone down hill up until now (the klassic reptile outfit is FTW). The way MK has evolved I will never understand, I liked the graphics/look of deception but some of the character designs like Smoke was terrible in my opinion. Everything I have seen other then very small little things like sub zero's stance that people are complaining about is great. NOTE: I personaly have not been able to play the demo yet though because my dang PS3 is possibly lost in the mail for all I know at this point (I bought a 60gb PS3 no one had it local, plays PS1 & PS2 games :]).

Last edited:
I had a hard time putting my finger on which games, this MK resembles. But you translated it correctly, altough umk3 rules? what do you mean by that?

by how the game is played. Very offensive, fast fast fast. MK2 is a more of a chess match and UMK3 was more like blitzkrieg.

I have an arcade in the box stick that is very similar to the TE stick. It is worlds better then the baby paddle that comes with the ps3 but it still takes a lot of getting used to. For example, those of us who spent thousands of hours in the arcade playing scorpion now have to get used to using kick (I assigned it to traditional low kick spot) to teleport instead of high punch. Needless to say the muscle memory is hard to overcome and it will take a lot of practice to make it fluid.

Also, since I reassigned buttons to as close as "traditional" mk as possible, its a hassle to translate all the move lists and shit from triangle, square, and circle. It would be a lot easier if these combos were listed in the traditional written manner (backpunch/backpunch/backkick/ instead of triangle triangle square).

That being said, it's almost like playing back in the arcade.

To get an idea of what my stick looks (almost) like check out

http://www.arcadeinabox.com/mk.jpg

Start buttons and such on side.

I totally endorse AIAB, as the BEST stick you can get on the market. Even tho i got a Mad Catz Combat Panel over a month ago, i dont use
Japanese parts for my fighters, and AIAB feel like i removed the control panel off an american cab (MK or SF).

They get the Static Seal of Approval. <3

I honestly wish they would go back to 2D Mortal Kombat. Ever since they went 3D, the game just hasn't had the same feel....I like the old style. A fatality just isn't the same when it's not a 2D model that is detailed and actually looks like a real person, as opposed to a 3D 'cartoony' character.

amen, Jade. but sadly, a game like that huge be ginormous. Look at that crappy Dark Presence or wtf ever its called. Its siiting at over 1TB big and will never be released.

Another thing about the old school MK games thats totally overlooked is their simplicity. It was simple, but yet very strategic. You could go on forever with its simplicity.

Even now with MK9 it just has to have no many extra things when all it need is simplicity. :/

digitized graphics get no respect whatsoever. it's hilarious. they're the graphics upon which this entire franchise is built; they're the reason that mk9 can even have a "back to basics come to jesus moment" and yet, they get no love. mk2 and umk3 still hold up to this day, while mk4-all the 3d mk games look dated. 3d computer graphics do not hold up, because there's always an upgrade that's inevitable. it's like how every generation falls in love with old hand drawn 2d animation disney movies, and the old star wars movies, and all the older 3d animation and star wars prequels look terrible now.

mk1-umk3 were crafted by actual artists and sculptors and it shows. it's the same way that the old star wars movies have life, because there's puppets, handcrafted models and everything is "REAL" in a made-up universe; and the new movies are all sterile, lifeless cgi created environments and creatures. sadly, i feel like mk uses 3d graphics just so they can have those elaborate cutscenes. it's like how yoda turned cgi just so he could have an elaborate fight. like we all needed that.

there really is a charm to the original mk trilogy, and for the old fans, at least for me, that charm has grown because it's been 20 years, and no game has ever looked like--or played like-- those games. it's just a record of those cool 5 years where mk was still mk. just think about that.

1991-1996. the mortal kombat franchise is 20 years old, and the only games that are even respected cover a tiny 5 year span. that means that midway wasted 15 years making worthless games. by contrast, capcom spent 20 years making sf2, sf2 c.e., hyper turbo, super, super turbo, alpha, alpha 2, alpha 3, sf3, third strike, cap vs snk, cap vs snk2, mvc, xmen vs sf, mvc2, mvc3, sf4, ssf4, and they're bringing back third strike. LOL. imagine if ed and co. had given us even 2 more digitized mk games before they went 3d. what would mk be like today? it's just a shame. we never even got mk alpha.

and no, mk trilogy does not count. lol.

You don't need to explain it to me, I'm a huge gamer and know this stuff already, lol....I just happen to like old school 2D MK much better. Now, MK looks like every other 3D fighter. I understand the why part of it but I still dig 2D better.

Yes I loved the game and it reminded me of the old 3 games in terms of many things. Thinking that it has the potential to be the best game in the series. digitized characters are gone and won't be back , most of you guys loving it , are just associating it with your old memories ...

I seriously hope they remap the specials more appropriately. I really don't see any advantage to the front/back limb deal they've got, so what was the point? The high/low attack layout was fine! It seems like they were gonna make it relevant since you can switch on-the-fly, but I haven't seen any reason to do it.

I was a fan of the old school MKs, the last one I ever purchased was Mortal Kombat Trilogy. After MK4 failed to impress me, the MK games fell off of my radar for good, I didn't look out for any of the new ones after MK4.

After playing the demo, I honestly feel this could become one of the best fighting games ever made. Maybe that reaction is a little too premature at the moment, but it has been a long time since I've anticipated a game to this extent, and I've not anticipated a fighting game for even longer.

That said, I have high expectations after playing the demo, and I'm glad I got my Tournament Edition preordered.

I agree 100%, I can't get used to the 3D fatality's, IMO it takes away from the "old school" feel of the game.

I think the game is great, feels a lot like MK2-MK3. Art direction is awesome, sound design is superb, gameplay is fun as hell, the animation is growing on me.
Minor Gripe: I wish the classic jump kick combos worked.

As for bringing back digitized graphics I don't see that ever happening in the main MK series. Just like SF won't go back to 2D sprites. The masses just would not get it, the suits wouldn't get it, they wouldn't think a 2D or Digitized game is worth full price. The mindset is 'real' games must have 3D graphics, which of course is completely retarded.

I havent played the demo yet so i cant comment the gameplay, but 2 things that still bothers me.

1. The voice overs are horrible, just horrible. I dont think i have heard anything thats sounds so fake before.
2. The design has always been a problem with the 3D mk games. The blood still looks kinda bad and the characters look pretty much the same as they did in the earlier games. If they are going to restart (kinda) the serie why dont they design the character in a more mature way? As mentioned earlier in the thread they look verry cartoony still. I dig Scorpions look and Sub Zero is not bad either, but the MK girls are so stereotypical looking it makes me vomit.

digitized graphics get no respect whatsoever. it's hilarious. they're the graphics upon which this entire franchise is built; they're the reason that mk9 can even have a "back to basics come to jesus moment" and yet, they get no love. mk2 and umk3 still hold up to this day, while mk4-all the 3d mk games look dated. 3d computer graphics do not hold up, because there's always an upgrade that's inevitable. it's like how every generation falls in love with old hand drawn 2d animation disney movies, and the old star wars movies, and all the older 3d animation and star wars prequels look terrible now.

mk1-umk3 were crafted by actual artists and sculptors and it shows. it's the same way that the old star wars movies have life, because there's puppets, handcrafted models and everything is "REAL" in a made-up universe; and the new movies are all sterile, lifeless cgi created environments and creatures. sadly, i feel like mk uses 3d graphics just so they can have those elaborate cutscenes. it's like how yoda turned cgi just so he could have an elaborate fight. like we all needed that.

there really is a charm to the original mk trilogy, and for the old fans, at least for me, that charm has grown because it's been 20 years, and no game has ever looked like--or played like-- those games. it's just a record of those cool 5 years where mk was still mk. just think about that.

1991-1996. the mortal kombat franchise is 20 years old, and the only games that are even respected cover a tiny 5 year span. that means that midway wasted 15 years making worthless games. by contrast, capcom spent 20 years making sf2, sf2 c.e., hyper turbo, super, super turbo, alpha, alpha 2, alpha 3, sf3, third strike, cap vs snk, cap vs snk2, mvc, xmen vs sf, mvc2, mvc3, sf4, ssf4, and they're bringing back third strike. LOL. imagine if ed and co. had given us even 2 more digitized mk games before they went 3d. what would mk be like today? it's just a shame. we never even got mk alpha.

and no, mk trilogy does not count. lol.

Dude you need to relax, Mortal Kombat HD will have digitized actors. Then you can play all the old school MK you want, where have you been?

Necessity is the mother of invention

when ed and john had very limited options they made pop culture history, but when they were given too many options the game went down hill. for example, how could anyone think it was cool in mk4 to have scorpion hold a friggin mallet in one hand and shoot a spear out of the same damn hand. lol. come on man? that's the funniest/stupidest thing ever. from there, stuff just got worse and worse. i'm sorry but, i really do think ed should let someone else be the producer/creative director of mk. he can be like the executive producer or something. he just doesn't have what he had when he was younger. it happens to everyone. it's like george lucas. he's the last person in the world who should've been writing and directing those prequels, but he's george.

if mkhd is dead, that would be par for the course for dumb decisions made by the mk creative team.

numbers from vgchartz:

don't know the validity of these numbers.

i won't even list the original trilogy since we all know they sold multiple millions of copies, and i don't list pc or handheld or gamecube.

trilogy:
(psx) = 2.79 million
(n64) = 0.96 million

mk4:
(psx) = no data
(n64) = 0.74 million

mkda: (seems like fans bought mkda just to see what 3d mk would be like, because the sales fall off after mkda).

(ps2) = 2.17 million
(xbox) = 0.88 million

mk vs dc:
(only modern mk game with good sales, most likely due to novelty)

(ps3) = 1.27 million
(360) = 1.23 million

no digitized mk game has ever sold under 3 million copies (combined console numbers). lol. and they killed digitized games. i predict mk9 will do slightly better than mk vs dc, but neither console will do psx trilogy numbers.

Wow, its awesome that you found those numbers. We know what we could compare this game's release to now.

But on another note... the games MK4-MKvsDC didn't sell because the GAMEPLAY sucked so incredibly hard that most fighting game fans ignored it.

if mkhd is dead, that would be par for the course for dumb decisions made by the mk creative team.

It most definitely would be which is why I want Static to elaborate on this "RIP" thing he's got going on. I just saw he posted the same thing over at SRK without an explanation. There's nothing in the HD subforum about this. If it really is in fact dead then I guess I'll have to cling to the new MK and just hope that it brings back at least some of the feel of the older games. If I nab it that is. But I'm in the same camp as Jade. The 3D modeled games just don't have the same feel to them. The exact same thing happened with SFIV. Kept with the 2D roots but with 3D models and it just didn't feel like the old school SFII/SFIII games.

I'll reserve judgment until I can get my hands on the demo tomorrow but even that won't be entirely accurate since it's an old build. I'm still worried about whether I'm even going to like the game seeing as how I went on a *****fest in another thread about it. But to be fair, hadn't played it and only was going off vids and other's impressions.

FYI IIRC, VGchartz isn't entirely accurate as far as numbers go or so I've read so I don't know how much stock I'd place in it. I don't doubt that the numbers for the digitized games beat out the 3D games.

extremely premature on on my reply as i just played a little bit with each charachter but i agree with some of what i have been reading. the kicks feel stiff and short. i cant even pull off a simple jump kick to sai combo with mileena no matter how deep i try to do the jump kick. blah.

extremely premature on on my reply as i just played a little bit with each charachter but i agree with some of what i have been reading. the kicks feel stiff and short. i cant even pull off a simple jump kick to sai combo with mileena no matter how deep i try to do the jump kick. blah.

Try inputting the <---, ---> square as soon as the hit lands, You really need to "buffer" the moves with this build. Once you get the feel for it you will be able to do some cool shit.

Agree with "Jade", nothing can wins the human photografy.
Anyway, i play the demo, is cool and all that, but i miss the run button, i dont like how the characters makes little jumps to move faster.

I love this game. I can't even play the old ones after this. Feel too damn slow. Don't get me wrong I love them, but the way this game plays is amazing.