Ed Boon Teases "Unexpected Surprise" from NetherRealm

ED BOON AND NRS GIVE US KI3 PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT WOULD BE UNEXPECTED OR MK VS KI WOULD BE EPIC OMG I CANT WAIT I HOPE NRS MAKES KI3 coimmon ed boon commmon nrssss pleasee give us ki333333333333333333333

ED BOON AND NRS GIVE US KI3 PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT WOULD BE UNEXPECTED OR MK VS KI WOULD BE EPIC OMG I CANT WAIT I HOPE NRS MAKES KI3 coimmon ed boon commmon nrssss pleasee give us ki333333333333333333333

KI = exclusive property of Microsoft

Seriously...how many times do I have to point out that NRS and WB own NOTHING related to the Blitz and KI franchises?

I agree with the above. And its completely right. Rare is owned by Microsoft. So unless Rare or Microsoft sell the rights to the KI IP NRS can't go anywhere near it.
Unless there is a deal brokered between WB and Microsoft for an MK/KI style crossover game.
And a lot of people are speculating that because of the resurgence of MK and MVC3 and all these fighting games, that Rare are actually working on KI3 for the X-Box 720's launch.
That's pure speculation though.
I think NRS are going to announce a new IP or that they are working on an existing IP they have acquired the rights for.
I seriously believe it will be absolutely unrelated to MK.

I doubt Rare is working on KI3 for the 720, the team who worked on the first 2 games left the company, they'll probably release KI1 on XBAL to see how well it does first. It's still possible for NRS to make a crossover fighting game involving KI, but they'll have to work something out with Rare.

Hmmm... I'm hoping a new game. Would definitely like to see a new adventure game this time.

You guys think they will be at PAX East? I know we will!

Mortal kombat MMO when you battle it's a fighter(like mk9) with stat upgrades.

I'm just kidding I don't play MMOs they are huge time sinks for nothing.

So when is this unexpected surprise supposed to come?

Oh, and I hope that it is not a new MK adventure game. Shaolin Monks was pretty poorly written, and the konquest modes of MK Armageddon and Deception were not very good in both gameplay and writing.

Or that NRS took the DLC sales and bought those rights?hmm

I doubt it. Midway's role in the KI series was minor. I don't remember if they built the arcade cabs and/or hardware for the KI games, or if they co-published the game along with Nintendo. Whatever the case is, I do know that they had nothing to do with the console versions.

I doubt it. Midway's role in the KI series was minor. I don't remember if they built the arcade cabs and/or hardware for the KI games, or if they co-published the game along with Nintendo. Whatever the case is, I do know that they had nothing to do with the console versions.

As far as I can tell they built the cabinets. The ones they sent to the arcades where basically the same standard ones they put MK (and other games) into except with street fighter style six button layout panels and "Ultra 64" hardware inside although it wasn't the exact same hardware that ended up being shipped as the Nintendo 64 it was more powerful and had a hard drive allowing a bigger game.

If anything it was a joint effort with hardware provided by nintendo (it had a 100Mhz R4600 CPU... the N64 had a 93Mhz R4300i), customized and put together by midway (it used their DCS sound system like MK2 and later had).. stuck in their own cabinet and software by Rare. Midway's role it seems was to facilitate\publish the arcade release. Hell, midway probably developed the hardware with some prototype specs from nintendo and included some stuff they where getting into at the time like hard drives in arcade machines which they ended up using in other machines of the time and of course stuff they where already using (DCS).

The home version which ended up being on the SNES and Gameboy and was quite scaled down from the arcade was purely by Rare and published by Nintendo AFAIK.

Last edited:
While it's true that Microsoft owns Rare and its IPs, I have reason to believe that Nintendo also has a copyright claim to the original KI games (they were listed as a copyright holder in the original arcade games). I know for a fact that Rare games that do not have Nintendo-owned characters (such as Perfect Dark) have been re-released on XBLA, which leads me to believe that KI's characters may be owned by Nintendo; if that's the case, then it explains why KI 1&2 have not been re-released on XBLA. I know that Rare sent the DKC IPs to Nintendo after they got bought out by Microsoft, since Nintendo created Donkey Kong before Rare was even established.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I said earlier\elsewhere... I saw a tweet by Boon a while back (not sure how long) that indicated some kid of limbo due to the trifecta of companies that had a hand in it at the arcade.

At the time Rare was closely working with Nintendo and even made Donkey Kong Country for them. Nintendo had a 49% stake in Rare at that time. In fact I had a promotional video from Nintendo which was all about DKC yet showed a sneak peak of KI (arcade version of course) at the end. The arcade machines where manufactured by Midway but where licensed by and had nintendo logos on them. It always seemed to me that Nintendo was heavily involved in KI treating it like a first party title. So I wouldn't put it past them to own the copyrights to the characters.

Additionally the SNES version of KI had a "only for nintendo" label on the box.

Looking at the internet it appears they keep on saying they are interested in it but it could be true that Nintendo has a stake in it and doesn't want to let them even rerelease it much less make a new game since they are now a Microsoft subsidiary. Although if they really wanted I'm sure Microsoft could buy the rights... I think they have enough money. But then again Nintendo may not want to sell the rights and are being a stick in the mud about it.

You know what would be great though but probably not possible anytime soon? A KI HD remix.... imagine all those SGI sprites and FMV background rerendered in HD! The way the camera zooms in and out also would lend well to widescreen as well since in the original game the characters could be any distance from each other and that wouldn't change with widescreen.

Last edited:
There's another issue involved in re-releasing the KI games; does Microsoft have the legal power to block Nintendo from re-releasing the same KI games on Virtual Console? If you ask me, I think that would depend on whether they are the arcade versions or the console versions. Since the console versions were exclusively on Nintendo consoles, I doubt there would be much MS could do to block those versions of KI from Virtual Console.

I do know that Rare can still make games for Nintendo's handhelds, since Microsoft has no participation in the handheld market.

enexpected?

that phrase hasn't gone to well for us MK fans. I'm sure we all remember vs DC and Freddy right?

True. So, in reality, "unexpected" means something that I want or something that I'll like. But since it's already been stated that additional DLC for MK is not happening (even in the form of an "Ultimate Mortal Kombat"), the announcement will be something expected: something that I don't want or something that I won't like.

enexpected?

that phrase hasn't gone to well for us MK fans. I'm sure we all remember vs DC and Freddy right?

I thought MK vs DC looked good on paper, but the fact that the game aimed for the T-rating (a first for the MK franchise) due to licensing issues ended up watering down the end result. The fact of the matter is, toned-down violence was virtually uncharted territory for MK (with the exception of the SNES port of MK1, and that was completely out of Midway's control), and let's be real here; MK fans don't like to see their product toned down. Turns out this was the last game ever released by Midway, who was already in a bad financial situation to begin with (they had been operating at annual net losses since 2000).

As for Freddy Krueger? Don't you dare make me bring up that Dokken music video he was in; I've posted it in several threads already!

Last edited: