So what would you keep/change for MK9?

Goraka

Personally I think that the core gameplay is as good now as it has been for years. I'd definately keep that the same initially.
I'd keep the Freefall Kombat, lose Klose Kombat and Rage. Bring back Multiple Fatalities and Deathtraps, and KAK, but keep story mode as it is. I like the whole Super Smash Bros. Brawl style of cutscene to fight. Apart from that, a little increase in roster size and a few more Unlockables and I'll be truly sated.

I don't have a problem with Klose Kombat. Freefall Kombat needs to be reworked so that if the aggressor scores hits but ends up getting countered, he or she still inflicts damage on the opponent.

They should make the buffering a bit more forgiving and include unique character introductions similar to what SF has done with SF4.

I think that the freefall kombat is a keeper. Perhaps longer falls and more special moves during freefall would prove to be quite interesting. The main fighting engine is the best MK has had in years. The characters fell light and swift compared to the bulky feel they've had in other 3D MKs, so I guess that should be kept as it is too.

I'm not too sure about the story mode though. It's cool the way it covers all the characters in either side in one go, but that takes a lot of replayablity out of it. If there was a seperate story done in this style for each character in the next game, then I think they will be doing a lot better.

Conquest mode took too long I found. Its nice to have it this way, but If they found a way to make the story made last x2 as long as it did for both sides (make chapters longer)... Or even give a split decision mode (push circle fight Scorpion, Push square fight Sub-Zero). Some achievements after victory over meeting certain criterieas (make a player have to refight chapters to get them) if they are not going to have a Krypt...

I wish I could comment on free-fall, all I can say is "It looks cool". Close combat also looks cool but needs expansion. From what I've seen, you use it so little. Put in a way to roll to stand up rather then just standing up so fighters aren't sitting ducks while on the ground/getting up. Aside from that... No mini-games is a plus since all they do is distract anyways. The mini-games are now all in-battle which is a better place to have them.

I wish I could comment on free-fall, all I can say is "It looks cool". Close combat also looks cool but needs expansion. From what I've seen, you use it so little. Put in a way to roll to stand up rather then just standing up so fighters aren't sitting ducks while on the ground/getting up. Aside from that... No mini-games is a plus since all they do is distract anyways. The mini-games are now all in-battle which is a better place to have them.

You can roll when recovering.

Keep Klose Kombat.
Lose the Rage mode (since it is so tied to the story of MKvDC, wouldn't make sense to keep it)
Integrate death traps into Freefall Kombat (that would RULE!!)
Keep Story mode.. but more expanded.

.....and give us new characters that DON'T SUCK

Klose Kombat and Free fall may look good but they both suck balls I mean push this button push that button R1 it has no skill involved so bin it

Pro move's must be kept and the Rage meter add's tactic's to the game do I break or save for the Rage round's can be won or lost depending on what you decide.

Bring back gore fatalities and Death Traps...

I can imagine the over the top gorey fatalities and the death traps returning in the next game. They couldn't use that kinda stuff in MK Vs DCU because the DC fans would have a hissy fit if Superman lobbed his opponent into a grinder. With fatalities they could make them less violent (turning them into brutalities) for the superheroes, but there how would you do that with in-battle death traps? They would have to be disabled every time a superhero was fighting.

I'd li9ke to see the rage mode disappearing, because it can make fights far too annoying. Each round seems to hang on the balance of which character has his/ her rage warmed up.

You can roll when recovering.

In that case its not good/far/fast enough to avoid something like Superman's infinite.

Either way, I'm only going by what I've seen here since I don't own the game nor console (yeah taking this one hard) to play the game on. If I'm wrong, so be it... I won't deny it. But its still not rolling well enough to get out of the problem I've put forward here. I've seen that combo, if you could roll backwards quick enough/far/whatever you could avoid it, yet it seems impossible from clips of gameplay I've seen.

Well, Angle, I would definitely keep the fighting engine, but I would add more and more to it. Kind of like adding more technical aspects to the fighting engine. It is already loaded with stuff, I understand that, but more is better, and I would add more stuff. Better air kombat would be one of those things.

One thing I would get rid off is the VS concept. I know it is popular right now, and believe me I would like to see more of it, I thought MK VS DC would never ever work, but lo and behold it worked like a charm. I would at least put all new Mortal Kombat characters, or many more from MK4 and MKDA. Well that is what I have for now, tell me what you think, my ideas, are they good or bad?

Another expanded idea that might be able to break that combo would be being able to launch an attack from laying down on the ground. You'ld have a delay, of course, of a few seconds for the fighter to come round to his sense (not fair knocking them down otherwise) but afterwards, you could either kick at them or roll into an attack.

I saw a video last night of the kombo in question here. It really is cheap, and it makes me glad that I don't play online, because losing to a cheap like that would simply turn me off playing the game.

I completely agree. Online is overrated. I'm not going online just to get my ass kicked. I would just rather practice with the AI.

Another expanded idea that might be able to break that combo would be being able to launch an attack from laying down on the ground. You'ld have a delay, of course, of a few seconds for the fighter to come round to his sense (not fair knocking them down otherwise) but afterwards, you could either kick at them or roll into an attack.

There are wake up attacks, too.

If the infinite you're talking about involves Superman's ground pound, then it doesn't matter if you can roll around or attack out of a rising animation. The ground pound affects the entire arena, so you can't roll away from it.

They should have made it more like Juggernaut on MvC. Where it attacks in a direction instead of all around.

There are wake up attacks, too.

If the infinite you're talking about involves Superman's ground pound, then it doesn't matter if you can roll around or attack out of a rising animation. The ground pound affects the entire arena, so you can't roll away from it.

Aye, I've seen it, I thought it was just in a large circle from when he hits the ground. Anyone else any bright ideas? I'm out of ideas now. I need to get my hands on a PS3 and a copy of the game. Impossible now, next year is my PC upgrade year. £230 I don't have is going to bbuy a brand new PC because I've reached the limits I can go with his 4 year old thing. :-/

I have stuck this thread to keep a good discussion going on MK9.

- Gameplay is a good start, expand and polishing from here would be ideal and I'm 99% sure that's what they're doing.
- Would love to see more non-rounded arenas. Stuff that just looks and feels more real to be in and a part of.
- Destructible objects in the way at times, etc. would also add to the immersion of the title.
- Darker and grittier atmosphere is also key. I always reference the color palette of MK2 as the best feel the series has had. Something the Unreal engine does well at too, I find when Unreal games are too bright they begin to look plasticky.
- I would love an expanded Story Mode that is a free roaming Shaolin Monks style game mixed with elements like they had in Konquest mode. And if they had time, some really intense cutscenes like in MKvsDC. This would wholly depend on schedule of the game though, as there is a lot to do for the cinematic stuff.
- LOTS and LOTS of easter eggs in the game. I'd love there to be tons of hidden things that even the guides don't have. Extra or hidden fatalities, unlockable characters, hidden fighters like in MK2, stuff that we have to find and discover. These elements really keep people coming back for more.

Love to see stuff, not required.
- I'd love a Grid-Style multiplayer shooter game for extra replayability, should be rather easy since they are using the Unreal engine.

I'm going to write up more on this over the Christmas break I think. I have a lot of ideas of what I'd like to see, but I have things to take care of today.

Personally i would like to see MK take a page out of Street Fighter IVs game and make it a 2D fighter. They can still make it look cool, and i think the game would play better if it werent a 3D fighter.