For those complaining about this game being a re-hash

I dont see why constructive criticism regarding too much roster carryover is a bad thing. It is a completely fair point to say that they have back-peddled a bit on the "wiping the slate clean".

BUT

At the same time. If you take MK9 as wiping the slate, it also means that MK4 onward never really happened. So arguably they could just be tabling a large handful of completely original characters. Ill withhold judgement till I see the final roster.

I have huge issues with the decisions with the game so far. It's not just about the story, which is, and has always been, a significant part of the series (it's fine that it's a fighting game, but it's not marketed as just a fighting game. This series has had several movies, a comic series, TV shows, etc.)

A few of my issues:

- A significant portion of the roster appears to be made up of MK 9 characters. Normally, I'd be OK with this, especially given that I'm a fan of the series, and a lot of the MK 9 characters are the most popular, however, we were promised differently, and therefore, hardcore fans got their hopes up. If the MK X roster was huge, I'd be okay with characters returning from the dead in this game, but given that, according to speculation, more than half the cast is from MK 9, it's very disappointing. The characters are very well-designed, I know, but can you imagine how they could've re-designed post-MK 3 characters instead?
- The characters returning from MK 9 are the same characters that always get attention. No one is ever going to appreciate or take characters like Rain, Baraka, Scarlet seriously if they always get ignored. Having a large portion of the roster dead could have given some underdeveloped characters some well-deserved spotlight and made the game refreshing.
- Netherealm war has passed - Does anyone else feel this is a huge missed opportunity? This also leaves me worried for characters like Tanya, Reiko, Shinnok, who are already fighting for a spot in a quickly filling roster.
- Post MK 3 characters continue to get ignored - I get that NRS regret a lot of the characters, and have now used the comic books as a way to correct their mistakes, but a lot of these characters have fans, and could have many more fans with an MK X re-design. It's just speculation for the most part, but given the trend lately, it's frustrating to see realms will continue to be ignored, and amazing characters, such as Hotaru and Havik, will likely be a random comic book casualty.

Given whats happening in the comic, I would NOT be surprised one bit if in the first five minutes of the game, characters like Tanya, Reiko, Jerek and such are all killed off during the Netherealm Wars. If that happens im going to seriously be upset.

If you don't like the final roster, DON'T GET THE GAME. Yes, it's that easy.

Or people could learn to debate. Not going to happen I know. We get a character reveal, something we've been positively gagging for and already the arguments start.

If people don't like the roster they're entitled to be disappointed that the game they were looking forward to doesn't meet their expectations.

I hate Kitana's "new look"

She still looks just as slutty to me...Whats with all the praise?
Seems to me like the biggest difference was breast reduction surgery.

I can't wait to see how manly that face is. You all know it's gonna be ugly as hell.

And that's unfortunately going to be the case for me.
I WILL NOT buy a PS4 with MKX just to play an updated MK9.

I also find it HILARIOUS that you think you can tell people to chill out, or say commander is in denial and shit.

Have you looked at the shit you've wrote in the Sub-Zero thread? Yeah, we don't call you "Trolling Roaster" for nothing...
Oh so so butthurt... I love it. :laugh:

No kidding. We know (maybe) 1/2 the roster and none of the DLC roster. People need to quit overreacting.

Not really.
So because the roster isn't fully revealed, i'm not allowed to get upset? That makes zero sense.

Every character revealed is taking up a slot for a different one. That's my complaint.

EDIT: Dammit, sorry for the double post.

If you want risks, look no further than Dragon Age Inquisition (and Leliana's return) and Mass Effect 3.

Yes they are story focused games, but both actually tailored more towards gameplay.

With DAI, the game felt like an entirely different game with a few characters crossed over. This game could have been a huge misstep, but turned out to be GOTY material. One of the series' biggest complaints...Leliana was still alive, even if you killed her in origins (the game is old as dirt, this is no longer a spoiler) and their reason was "the maker didn't want me to."

With Mass Effect 3, people were expecting some returning ME2 squadmates, but instead they got ME1 2.0 (same squad minus 1 with 2 new characters). Plus, if you killed Ashley instead of Kaiden (again this game is too old to be a spoiler) then you can eventually see that Ashley is still alive (though no interaction with her, nor does anyone notice). You can look up the reviews to see how well that game turned out to be. :laugh:

The thing is, we've already had these characters in MK9 (all 8 of them) and with this game, it looks like we can master it day one just by learning the same exact combos from MK9 (with universal moves, it's not that hard to adjust). It looks like its heading towards the Deception road where they took characters from one game and added extra moves and a pretty face while slapping on new characters. As for the MKDA route, they have no characters from Post-UMK3 (Quan Chi and Kenshi don't count) announced, and if the rumors are true we may only receive 1-2 post characters.

At this moment, I'm actually hoping that they are counting the Post-UMK3 characters as new characters. I'd actually give them a pass on that this time.

I have huge issues with the decisions with the game so far. It's not just about the story, which is, and has always been, a significant part of the series (it's fine that it's a fighting game, but it's not marketed as just a fighting game. This series has had several movies, a comic series, TV shows, etc.)

A few of my issues:

- A significant portion of the roster appears to be made up of MK 9 characters. Normally, I'd be OK with this, especially given that I'm a fan of the series, and a lot of the MK 9 characters are the most popular, however, we were promised differently, and therefore, hardcore fans got their hopes up. If the MK X roster was huge, I'd be okay with characters returning from the dead in this game, but given that, according to speculation, more than half the cast is from MK 9, it's very disappointing. The characters are very well-designed, I know, but can you imagine how they could've re-designed post-MK 3 characters instead?
- The characters returning from MK 9 are the same characters that always get attention. No one is ever going to appreciate or take characters like Rain, Baraka, Scarlet seriously if they always get ignored. Having a large portion of the roster dead could have given some underdeveloped characters some well-deserved spotlight and made the game refreshing.
- Netherealm war has passed - Does anyone else feel this is a huge missed opportunity? This also leaves me worried for characters like Tanya, Reiko, Shinnok, who are already fighting for a spot in a quickly filling roster.
- Post MK 3 characters continue to get ignored - I get that NRS regret a lot of the characters, and have now used the comic books as a way to correct their mistakes, but a lot of these characters have fans, and could have many more fans with an MK X re-design. It's just speculation for the most part, but given the trend lately, it's frustrating to see realms will continue to be ignored, and amazing characters, such as Hotaru and Havik, will likely be a random comic book casualty.

I couldn't have said this better, especially about the part where the chances of post-MK3 charcaters (MK4, DA & Deception) and new characters is limited by each MK9 character that they bring back.

I find Trolling Roaster's typical douchey reply of "If you don't like it, don't get it" hilarious, and I can't personally ever relate to that.
I've never bought an MK game, just for 1 character, and there's no reason that I wouldn't buy the game because 3 out of the 11 revealed characters are a disappointment to me.
It's a given that I won't like ALL the characters in an MK game.

I don't like the whole "Quan Chi and Kenshi don't count" arguement... They are still post-MK3 characters. Yes, they were in MK9, and though MK9 was a different version story of the three first games, it is STILL a post-MK3 game!

Quan Chi first starred in MK4 (of the main series) and Kenshi in MKDA, both games being post-MK3 games.

I don't like the whole "Quan Chi and Kenshi don't count" arguement... They are still post-MK3 characters. Yes, they were in MK9, and though MK9 was a different version story of the three first games, it is STILL a post-MK3 game!

Quan Chi first starred in MK4 (of the main series) and Kenshi in MKDA, both games being post-MK3 games.
The meaning is of post-MK3 characters that haven't been done already.

I couldn't have said this better, especially about the part where the chances of post-MK3 charcaters (MK4, DA & Deception) and new characters is limited by each MK9 character that they bring back.

I find Trolling Roaster's typical douchey reply of "If you don't like it, don't get it" hilarious, and I can't personally ever relate to that.
I've never bought an MK game, just for 1 character, and there's no reason that I wouldn't buy the game because 3 out of the 11 revealed characters are a disappointment to me.
It's a given that I won't like ALL the characters in an MK game.

Do as I do -- treat him like a ghost. It's an attention thing, so if you comment back, they're getting the attention they desperately want/need.

Rehashes sell. Just look at Call of Duty and John Madden Football...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
Doesn't mean it's a good thing. Just look at Call of Duty and John Madden Football... and Assassin's Creed. And every other franchise that's losing its quality which each and every rehash.

theincubuslord said:
Then you should have worded it so to avoid misunderstandings. ^^
So I should say "mk4+ characters besides Kenshi and Quan Chi"? Too long, lol. People should be able to ascertain I'm not referring to them.

Doesn't mean it's a good thing. Just look at Call of Duty and John Madden Football...
Except John Madden Football actually IS good, because it has (and is named after) John Madden, and is a video game of the greatest sport in the world...Tackle Football!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I don't find the returning characters in MKX for rehashes though.

re·hash (rē-hăsh′)
tr.v. re·hashed, re·hash·ing, re·hash·es
1. To bring forth again in another form without significant alteration

Except for maybe Raiden and Kung Lao, the other returning characters sure have significant alterations to them.

Not really.
So because the roster isn't fully revealed, i'm not allowed to get upset? That makes zero sense.

Every character revealed is taking up a slot for a different one. That's my complaint.

EDIT: Dammit, sorry for the double post.

Getting disappointed over a roster choice I can understand.

Getting as actively upset as you've been getting today? That's an overreaction, and you need to chill out because it's ridiculous.

You, I, nor anyone on this forum knows what else is on the roster, how big it is, or how much DLC we're going to get - but you've spent today screaming about it like there will never be another new MK character and we'll be stuck in an endless repeat of MK9 forever.

I'm not saying you can't have an opinion on the roster or have feelings or whatever - but at least try to reign in your reactions to an event-appropriate level, because right now your reaction to Kitana being revealed isn't on the level of "there's a character in the game I don't want in the game." Your reaction along the lines of "Ed Boon took a shit in my mother's mouth and I'm out for vengeance."