Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I don't mind if you work on the endings and pose the models. If you can make some cool renders, then go for it. I don't know how to export the rigged character from 3dMax to Blender. I'm guessing I need to export it as .fbx or something like that. You'll need to work on the materials too, like making the skin look realistic with Sub Surface Scattering, building a scene for the background. It'll be more to it than posing a model.

agreed with bleed, will be a lot of pain import the model and set all shadings, a new rig just for a single ending render.

Anyway remember that all will be just flat images so the final sprite don't need to be a perfect final render, details and effects can be added in photoshop.

what about try to make a stage? right now im with the UI so other members can try to make a stage.

I don't mind if you work on the endings and pose the models. If you can make some cool renders, then go for it. I don't know how to export the rigged character from 3dMax to Blender. I'm guessing I need to export it as .fbx or something like that. You'll need to work on the materials too, like making the skin look realistic with Sub Surface Scattering, building a scene for the background. It'll be more to it than posing a model.
Yup I know, can 3dsmax export as smd or psk? It would be easier if that was possible, I can do it if it has that file type, and I know, I need to learn how to do SSS, since I am a bit confused about it, and if there is like someone who could tell me the stories ect. for the ending then I would know what I would do it like :)

agreed with bleed, will be a lot of pain import the model and set all shadings, a new rig just for a single ending render.

Anyway remember that all will be just flat images so the final sprite don't need to be a perfect final render, details and effects can be added in photoshop.

what about try to make a stage? right now im with the UI so other members can try to make a stage.
I may not have to rig it though, if the file types I may need are in 3ds max then that would be fine :)
Yeah I sometimes add effects in photoshop and if I did this, I would have to anyway as well as building the scene.
I dont know what I do about making a stage, I dont know how to create them, if someone was willing to help me I would try it :)

In case you guys wonder, if I don't show up for a day or two on this. I'm working on several projects at the same time, programmer for one, then I'm making UMK3 scorpion with the custom fighting style for my self, this project and real work. Then I sometimes get these side jobs for character art or I'm practicing traditional drawing, etc.

Like today, I'm working on getting some animations done for UMK3 Scorpion and I have to go to work, so I'm not working on the MK1 version.

busy busy...

the main idea is use 3D models only for sub bosses.
anyway but if characters are done like this can be considered get sprites from a 3D models

Scorp_final.gif

at 1280x720:
Spoiler:
Scorp_3d_Mugen_1280x720.png

all this was done by Bleed (gabe687)

Just saw this......

HOLY SHITBALLS, BATMAN!!! o_O

The sprites are actually twice that size and I have them working in mugen. One problem I'm running in to, is the color limit of 256. I can't get enough shading on the model to make it look as smooth as the original render from 3dMax.

Interloko, do you know how to get around that in 1.1? You have 32bit images, but how do you make the palettes, with separate .sff files?

I'm also wondering about the antialiasing, does mugen 1.1 let you have sprites with antialiased edges / semi transparent pixels that fade to the invisible background.

That's how my sprites come out by default from 3dmax as .png

The UMK3 scorpion looks great but the MK1 Scorpion suffers a massive case of looking too plastic. Are you going to tone that down and make his outfit look more like cloth like the pic of the live actor dressed as MK1 scorpion? The real outfit looks more matte (except for the shin guards that look more plastic\shiny than the rest) and light kind of goes through the yellow parts.

Also that UMK3 scorpion is great because it even resembles the original so much that it kind of looks like John Turk. Are you going to make sure the rest resemble the original actors? This should be especially true of Johnny Cage, Jax and others who you see their faces clearly.

Once that MK1 vest is complete I'm sure you could reuse it for MKII just replace the cloth mask with a plastic mask with grill kind of like the BMX style masks they used in MKII and same thing with the shin guards and replacing the baggy black clothes with a black wet suit.

Also are the health bars going to be modified to match the original ones in the original games? Also in some of the pics I have seen earlier the proportion of the size characters to the screen doesn't match the originals. Is this going to be changed as well?

BTW I would think that if it truly had 32-bit support that antialiased edges on the sprites would be possible because you could just have the built in antialiasing that an 8-bit alpha channel provides. That is unless the engine strips out the alpha channel and just reduces it down to 24-bit with just on\off 1-bit transparency.

Also something to keep in mind is while filming they where constantly spritzing the actors with water to make it look like they where sweating. I remember seeing pictures of them spritzing Ho Sung Pak during video shooting for MKII. The one who was making Jade in the example screenshot above had the right idea but I thought the proportion of the characters was too big to the screen and I wondered if the gameplay would suffer as a result.

Last edited:
Here stg i was working last days

MK1_Rayden.png

It's already a 3300 Tris Low poly Model with Normal Maps bakes.

I guess in the game we are using a High Poly character for get better details.

Last edited:
The MK1 Scorpion doesn't have any textures on it, I'll add that soon and make the materials look different like you say. Right now it's a default shader in Zbrush that makes everything look like clay.

I'll match their likeness the best I can. I can't make them 100% but I can get pretty close, some help from you guys would help with that. You can tell me if something looks weird, because if I stare at a model for too long, I start to not see some errors.

These are other models I've made over time, so you can see how close I get on average.

JaxHead3d_hair.jpg

boots_added.jpg

kung_Lao_wip.jpg

BarakaFace.jpg

Kitana-1.jpg

I especially like that baraka face it looks better than the nosferatu mask they used while shooting the video for the game. I think you are making good progress they just need better materials like I said and yeah, since they are going to end up being prerendered into a 2D fighting game it probably would be better go to with high poly for the best appearance and to fully take advantage of the fact that they are pre-rendered.

I'm sure you have a collection of behind the scenes photos from the various Mortal Kombats to use as a reference? That would be very handy. Such as:

JohnParrish.jpg

Your model looks pretty close actually. I think the chin in your model could be a little smaller though.. but it could be just me.

Last edited:
smoke.tets, all models showed my Bleed haven't materials assigned.

The last batch of pics Bleed show here are just for show works he did time ago, all they aren't for this project so we are not trying to make they better. They are only works of the past. And not for this project :)

Cant wait to see what you guys come up with....BTW does anyone know how long it took Boon and Co to finish making MK1?