Johnny Cage Thread - "I make this look easy!"

Any answer?

I find it best to save it for EX Shadow Kicks, it goes through s*** which is always cool, or having full bar makes people uneasy, which makes it easier to run up to them since in most cases, people will be like uh ohs, x-ray.
EX force balls are cool, but there are better tools to use other than that.

A good way to start pressuring is when the opponent is a dash away and you dash in then catch them with b3, dash, 2, 1, 4, 4, nutpunch, then go into a 2, 1, b4, string to hit low and throw them off then proceed using f3, 3, frame trapping and f3, 2 strings or your bnb 2, 1, f2, dash 4, 4, flip kick to chip damage or put your opponent in the corner.

And always try to create openings with d3or4s or d1or2s into your bnbs if you dont wanna cycle your strings with 2, 1, b4, since its not the best low mixup string using footsies for openings is much more viable imo.

ex forceball is situational in my playstyle i try my best not to use ex forceballs unless trading long range when the opponents health is low

I would say your forceball combos could be viable though in maintaining frames and pressure cant say for sure if its worth it though for one bar when you could use a regular nut punch which isnt punished often and does considerable amount of damage for a meterless special.

I think the combos I posted become very useful against blocking opponents, if the opponent doesn't block is obviously better connect the nutpunch

Is it just me, or is Johnny Cage like the sickest fighter in MK9? He's combos are badass & easy to string together, and his special moves are sick. The only thing that sucks is his X-Ray is a ***** to actually pull off, while every other character just has to hit the X-Ray when their opponent is not blocking, Johnny Cage's X-Ray only works if an oppentant hits you while performing the X-Ray.

Is it just me, or is Johnny Cage like the sickest fighter in MK9? He's combos are badass & easy to string together, and his special moves are sick. The only thing that sucks is his X-Ray is a ***** to actually pull off, while every other character just has to hit the X-Ray when their opponent is not blocking, Johnny Cage's X-Ray only works if an oppentant hits you while performing the X-Ray.

In fact, I think Johnny's X-Ray to be ..... pure genius. You can bait people to fall on it, in fact, the X-Ray itself is a big parry move, very useful against pressure .....

Johnny Cage is sick good, I played him a lot in demo, but, have not specialized now with the game released, but, he is a very good character, best rushdown in the entire game ..... and probably, as story character, the best martial artist of all MK 2011 roster, since he was trained by the best of the best martial arts masters around the world, hehe .....

I love Johnny Cage MK 1 Arcade intro, so badass !! XD

Wow? How about the situation of putting the opponent in the corner from mid stage in one combo? I'd rather be doing johnnys corner rape combos ending with nut punchs rather then doing a nut punch after 4, 4, (since it tends to miss most of the time anyway) and following up with safe strings. Nut punch is more reliable when used with a b3, dash, 2, 1, 4, 4, nutpunch sorta deal or f3, 2, nutpunch/f3, 3, b3, nut punch.

jps, 2, 1, f2, dash 4, 4, shadow/flip is the way to go if the opponent is not in the corner. Alternating 2, 1, b4, and 2, 1, f2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 4, nut punch after getting your opponent in the corner with the first combo is a much better way of utilizing johnnys specials and pressure imo.

Midscreen-> 2,1,f2, dash, f+3 xx nut punch. This is actually his bnb.

This combo in the first post ----> -11 hits 68% X-ray dash D+3 2,1 F+2 4,4 shadow kick.
Is ********...it does 52% :/, I did it today online.

X-ray, dash, b+3, dash, 2, dash, 2, dash, 2, dash 44 xx nut punch is 52%. It also ends in nut punch.

Midscreen-> 2,1,f2, dash, f+3 xx nut punch. This is actually his bnb.
X-ray, dash, b+3, dash, 2, dash, 2, dash, 2, dash 44 xx nut punch is 52%. It also ends in nut punch.

Thanks for the tips MagiCurtains! :)
What do you think about EXforceball? I would really like to know your opinion about this.

Thanks for the tips MagiCurtains! :)
What do you think about EXforceball? I would really like to know your opinion about this.

Ex forceball is definitely viable. :)
Especially against characters who struggle against pressure. Characters like Noob or Sub-Zero (not limited to of course) are probably the ones which you want to pull this off on. Considering you never want them to leave you.
You can skip what I say if you're experienced though. Since what I'm saying is something you probably already know.
When you waste a bar, you really have to know what you're getting out of it.
It's 3% damage on chip and 11% on hit(but everyone knows this so it's not important).
The reason you're doing this is to extend your standard chains and to continue your pressure.
It's a safe method to stay close.
I'll go over a few things it does do. On hit, it leaves you at a large frame advantage and they have to take whatever you throw at them next. On block, it leaves you at frame advantage whether they're crouching or blocking standing up. You tend to have more frame advantage if they're blocking standing. When this happens, your next chains can start without trouble. A well timed jump could probably take them out of the pressure.
Did I mention that it leaves them standing?:wink:

Ex forceball is definitely viable. :)
Especially against characters who struggle against pressure. Characters like Noob or Sub-Zero (not limited to of course) are probably the ones which you want to pull this off on. Considering you never want them to leave you.
You can skip what I say if you're experienced though. Since what I'm saying is something you probably already know.
When you waste a bar, you really have to know what you're getting out of it.
It's 3% damage on chip and 11% on hit(but everyone knows this so it's not important).
The reason you're doing this is to extend your standard chains and to continue your pressure.
It's a safe method to stay close.
I'll go over a few things it does do. On hit, it leaves you at a large frame advantage and they have to take whatever you throw at them next. On block, it leaves you at frame advantage whether they're crouching or blocking standing up. You tend to have more frame advantage if they're blocking standing. When this happens, your next chains can start without trouble. A well timed jump could probably take them out of the pressure.
Did I mention that it leaves them standing?:wink:

Thanks a lot again! :)

uhh everytime i play against reptile its like an elbow dash party or whatever his move is called is that move punishable?
cuz everytime i try to punish it it seems like i cant

any tips?

uhh everytime i play against reptile its like an elbow dash party or whatever his move is called is that move punishable?

any tips?

do the 2, 1, F+2. I usually get him with that.

After landing an anti air punch you can dash and do 1xx1xx1xx4,4,nutpunch. I've been doing this alot now and it's helping. Also, after landing that combo you can simply dash at him again and keep on the pressure.

I've just had a look @johny Frame Rate ..hes ridiculous fast.. all strings under 10 Frames in fact even 4(4) = 9 Frames.

Some Examples:
Subs 2 = 11 Frames
Reptiles 1 = 11 Frames
Kenshis 1 = 10 Frames, F2 = 12

Even if a noob keeps spamming Johnnys 1(= 8 Frames) or 2(= 9 Frames) he will have huge Frameadvantage.. thats pretty sick ..nobody is able to come up close to johnny .. Only chance is keep him on distance.. but his EXShadowKick prevents that.

I think I'll have a deeper look @him soon! :D

any tips?

Uhm ..actually u shouldn't have any problems punishing reps dash on block.. Reptiles Special Dash = 6 Frames. The only move thats faster than all of johnnys normals/specials.. except D1 = 6 Frames so its a tie their :D

Last edited:
ive been playing johnny online for a bit now online and 2, 1, b4, is greatly overlooked but i love it, it makes the opponent stutter for a sec and sets up new pressure strings... and you have the luxury of throwing f3, 3, b3, nutpunch or 2, 1, f2, > (insert finish here) or even just f2, 2 repeated is amazing pressure when sync'd after 2, 1, b4

u just have to make sure when you use his 2, 1, b4 that you make sure as soon as he throws the low you hit your next combo or you might get hit first but unlikely if your seasoned enuff to time it and keep the stirngs going