hope you like this sprite

here's the final version, been working all morning on him.

i modeled his legs around shao kahn, to make them big, and edited the kneepads.

Last edited:
Sapphire said:
I'm not really feeling it for this one. The sprites don't have the feeling, if you get. Specifically, the transparent shadows are a bit, you know, not good, and they should be a little tilted to the right because of the lighting on Reiko.
Speaking of Reiko, his name should be capitilized, which it isn't.

Once again, the sprites do not feel like MK sprites, they look like something...K1LLKANO would make :D. I also want to know why Reiko is holding that shuriken like Homer holds Bart (in otherwords choking).

First off, I appreciate any concern you have for my graphic editing talents. It's all appreciated in one way or another, I'm sure.

The shadows are fine. There is no lighting in the foreground, and there is no lighting to the left or to the right of these sprites. The position of the shadows was done in accordance to the placement of the lens flares on the flanks of Shao Kahn. Those are the only sources of luminance in the picture, so one would assume that the shadows would be situated

Your critique, already battered full of thoughtless holes, is only beaten further into submission by your lack of knowledge in terms of how ]{0MBAT, an MKOnline administrator and the designer behind the Kombat Pavilion, types up his name. The closing bracket as well as the opening brace wouldn't mold to well with lowercased letters, so, as ]{0MBAT types up his own username, I placed capitalized all letters. Every other fake I've done shortly before and following this one has made use of the same lowercased style in which Reiko's name has been placed. Try to keep up, Tinkerbell.

Reiko is holding the shuriken in that manner because he's aiming. He's already caused the victim enough suffering, so he's positioning the placement of the shuriken to put ]{0MBAT out of his misery.

The sprites are done in my style. I do not model my choice of sprite design after anyone. If anything, and this is more often the case than not, sprite editors model their designs after me. I should also mention that this image was produced well before K1LLKANO ever decided to maul himself a niche in the industry, so any presumptions you or others have in regards to me copying his realistic style are in error.

Keep trying, Sapphire. You may one day find something to nitpick about in one of my images.

By the way, satinsoven (Christ Almighty, edit your username), the Armageddon rendition of Reiko you've produced isn't terrible, but I'd suggest lengthening his thighs about four pixels, and maybe add another pixel or two in length to his shins. Shrink the head, and use, possibly, MK3 Shang Tsung as the base for the head. The facepaint is already there, so it's not like you'd be disfiguring anything anymore than you already have. Hope that provides some sort of aid in your search to finally generate something worth providing criticism.

I believe I can see the future, because I knew that that was what you were going to say.

Aiming, you say? Well, as one who takes ninjutsu and actually uses shurikens, I have never seen a shuriken being held as that one is.

To say you're a bit testy about your work is an understatement, I see that everytime somebody says that your art isn't the greatest around, you go around trying to make them believe that it is. I, for one, think your art is lacking a lot, and your cockiness isn't making it any better.

Also, on how the sprites look, I only said that they look like K1LLKANO made them because that really is the best example around at the moment, not to say that you based them off of him, as I'm sure you've been making fakes since before he was introduced to the biz.

Futhermore, for your little thing about the lighting, I believe that the torches are a bit too far away and too centered for Reiko's vest to be lighted like that.

Once again, VenoMark, your cockiness is the only thing that's keeping you down. You really need to learn to accept people's critisims, even if it's not what you want to hear.
You suck. Accept it. Get over it. Improve. That's my advice, and very constructive, at that.

VenoMark said:
By the way, satinsoven (Christ Almighty, edit your username), the Armageddon rendition of Reiko you've produced isn't terrible, but I'd suggest lengthening his thighs about four pixels, and maybe add another pixel or two in length to his shins. Shrink the head, and use, possibly, MK3 Shang Tsung as the base for the head. The facepaint is already there, so it's not like you'd be disfiguring anything anymore than you already have. Hope that provides some sort of aid in your search to finally generate something worth providing criticism.
done and done, i put the edit on my last post. he does seem taller. thanx for the advice, veno.

Sapphire said:
I believe I can see the future, because I knew that that was what you were going to say.

Aiming, you say? Well, as one who takes ninjutsu and actually uses shurikens, I have never seen a shuriken being held as that one is.

To say you're a bit testy about your work is an understatement, I see that everytime somebody says that your art isn't the greatest around, you go around trying to make them believe that it is. I, for one, think your art is lacking a lot, and your cockiness isn't making it any better.

Also, on how the sprites look, I only said that they look like K1LLKANO made them because that really is the best example around at the moment, not to say that you based them off of him, as I'm sure you've been making fakes since before he was introduced to the biz.

Futhermore, for your little thing about the lighting, I believe that the torches are a bit too far away and too centered for Reiko's vest to be lighted like that.

Once again, VenoMark, your cockiness is the only thing that's keeping you down. You really need to learn to accept people's critisims, even if it's not what you want to hear.

Who in Hell said he was using any fighting style in that finishing maneuver? You're making a painfully thorough effort at finding errors in that image. Tell me, which fatality, in any videogame utilizing something similar to a fatality, does the executor ever implement a maneuver to do away with the victim resembling any martial art that they are supposedly using? Stop. Honestly. You're no better at critiquing someone's work than you are at designing whatever in Hell those flattened piles of shit you snap out supposedly represent.

My cockiness is keeping me down? Do I really need to go over this AGAIN? Honestly, people, I'm not cocky. I'm very confident, and it's because I do indeed improve practically every time I produce an image. This sample was done years ago, back when I was on a two-year hiatus, back when I had practically nothing to use a base for this sprite. That is no longer an issue, as I've refused to use any part of a pre-rendered sprite as a base for anything I now produce.

And if that quote you ripped from one of my past critiques is directed at me, then you clearly need some serious optical work done. I suck? I need to accept that? I need to get over the dim-witted theory that I suck? That's...well, it's blatantly obvious that that is not your advice, so no need to go any further into that.

I accept criticism just fine. It's often that the criticism I receive is just as dim yours, just a bunch of imaginative bullshit that only picks out traces of what may be wrong with the image in question, if anything at all. The lighting is fine. The shadows are fine. If you want to go into detail about issues regarding lighting, if I were you, I'd take a look at some of my own work before I start dragging out something with someone who clearly standing several dozen rungs above you on the artistic ladder.

Just a quick question: What does my art lack? Don't say a Goddamned thing about lighting, because every single image I have ever seen has had at least half a dozen issues with the lighting. It's a ****ing fake picture. The shit I do now, which is more just to keep my status where it is should I feel anyone is a real threat (and stop saying that I think I'm the best; everyone who doesn't have a problem with me thinks I'm the best, and even those same people have said I was the best at some point, more often when beef between them and I wasn't as heated as it may have been now), has barely any issues, if any, with lighting. I sketch out concepts of backgrounds to improve what I deem as my worst flaw--being completely custom backgrounds--as well as conceptual imagery of created characters. I now go as deep as drawing up anatomical illustrations (sometimes photographs of the human form) on search engines and various websites that have been able to offer me something of quality to use a resource for my sprites.

The thing that gets me more worked up than anything else Internet-related is the fact that people presume I'm pompous because of the way I critique another artist's work, or if I go onto criticize someone's own criticism about my work. I criticize you because you pick out shit that isn't there, and when you're wrong, you start grasping at anything that'll look somewhat believable and pray to God that I'm too naive to notice the errors in your poor judgment. I've been at this for a very long time. Yes, I know I haven't dished out anything in awhile. I could upload and post some of my incomplete work, some of which has been edited in the last week, but usually when I offer that it goes unnoticed and people go bashing me because they don't see me pouring work out of my ass like they do.

Yeah, this response went on a little longer than I had planned, but I am so ****ing sick of people making the assumption that I think I'm the best based only on my own word. It's the word of every person in my top five artists (who have been in my top five for years on end, well before they ever told me directly that I was the best) that has coerced me into believing that that theory is indeed as close to fact as it could ever get. Like I've said in the past, I see flaws in my own work that no one can pick out. This image does possess flaws. I'd point them out, but you'd just claim you've seen them before I said anything, but didn't believe they were big enough to bring out and into the open.

Christ. I'm done. Keep it up at your own risk. I'm through piddling around and playing games.

saphire, some months ago you said i just didn't have the talent of making computer art, even if i have the vision. zoom to today, where several of my works get several good reviews on several forums...do you still feel that way about my "talent"?

Very much so, but I will say that your art has improved, very much since your first post here, and I believe that has something to do with you making original sprites, instead of making fakes with already used sprites. Once again, your sprites still don't have the magic, but they're getting better.

VenoMark, + 500 skythe points. In addition to the 300 I gave you earlier.

EDIT: didn't realize how old this was. :/