getting on my nerves

satinsoven

i never realy understood why posting in month old topics wasn't against the rules, but would still earn you a flame or remark.i say someone should be able to state their opinion, give advice, or say anything else they're itching to, without being stopped simply because the topic is "old". things should change.

If there is something relevent to add to the proceedings I doubt anybody would reprimand you for posting in an old topic. Why just a few weeks ago when we first learned of the new Boss Rush Mode in MK:SM there was a thread with an unanswered question about a door in the foundry. Somebody decided to post that it turned out to be the door to Boss Rush Mode. A perfect example of a good post in an old topic. A bump is not bad simply because it's in an older topic, it's bad because it's useless. If it doesn't stir up meaningful conversation, it doesn't belong in the forums at all, much less in a dead topic.

Its okay to post in topics that are old if you add to the thread, and the thread is still interesting. If you just make a comment like "yeah that level was hard" then maybe you shouldnt because it wouldnt really matter anymore, or if its someone asking a question from say 5 months ago, he probably found the answer, or doesnt care anymore. Just pick and choose the topics wisely, im sure you will know if a topic should or shouldnt be brought back up. Was there a specific thread you were talking about?

satinsoven said:
i never realy understood why posting in month old topics wasn't against the rules, but would still earn you a flame or remark.i say someone should be able to state their opinion, give advice, or say anything else they're itching to, without being stopped simply because the topic is "old". things should change.

What Glamador said is correct but to add to it, I can understand that for new members the threads are all new to them. The problem is, they need to actually read the posts that are in it. A lot of bumps aren't needed because the question was already answered but the person didn't read any of the thread and they bumped it to give an answer that has already been said. That is just more old news to bring up top in a forum that should remain dead.

well thx peoples i thought bumping, whether good or bad, is stupid to other members and they think you just try to bring up your post count.i once posted a comment in artwork saying "i at least like the creativity that you used in what you had"and others got annoyed.

It's not such a bad thing if you do it once in a while. Another problem is when the member who originally made the thread isn't even active anymore. If you posted a comment in an art thread saying "nice work!" or something like that and the poster doesn't even come here anymore, what's the point,right?

Here's my analogy of "bumping topics" when I replied in this thread.

Bump!

If a thread is a month old or even 2 months old, I believe it should be bumped if a member has something interesting to contribute, or even a question/comment. Or that member hasn't replied to that particular thread due to registering after that topic was made, such is the case in the above url.. Because if he/she made a new topic, then other members are on their case almost immediately saying 'Stop Bumping Old Threads' But this is something that the staff has to deal with, so be prudent in your actions thanks, Mods.

It just all depends on the situation. People have common sense enough to know when a post is useless or when it is useful. No one here is denying that if it is a legit bump, it's cool.

I think people get upset at bumps just for the fact that it is something old and now it is back at the top of the page and the newer topics will be forced to the back. Most people prefer fresher topics to be visable on the first page instead of old stuff.

I personally think that if someone wants to post something about it, they should do it in a polite way. Bumps are usually by new members so just be nice and give them a heads up instead of people being jerks.

Spoken like a true Mod.

Also to add to your above comments. Some members [vets & noobs alike] miss a good topic entirely, thus they bump it to add their comments. I have seen that countless times, Jade.

But yes, bumping is an issue that every forum has and like I said, it's up to the staff to judge for themselves and be as fair as possible at the same time.

Um...I was pretty much agreeing with you so I don't see the problem here and the sarcastic mod remark...I don't find a problem with bumps as long as it isn't useless. Bumping a month old topic just to say "hey that was cool" is really unnecessary. If you have good imput, great. Go and bump a 3 month old thread if you want to. But bumping it just to say "wow" or "good job" isn't really justified.

I can't control what people type. If they want to be jerks, that can't be helped but in that situation, I would just be polite about it. If i had something good to add, I'd add it. If I felt the post wasn't needed, I'd kindly let them know.

Lastly, don't treat me any different because I am a mod. I am the same person and I don't let positions in a forum get to my head. I am the same person I just have a few responsibilities so the different treatment just because of a title is really unnecessary. Talk to me normal because nothing has changed. I would have made the exact same post if I weren't a mod.

Wasn't being sarcastic at all and I don't intend on treating you any differently, any of you.

Last edited: