starting fake

kold_as_ice92

okay every new fighter needs a new practice fake, right? well i cooked up a minor concept fake for Tien Shen. I know it's really crappy, but i figured i could try anyways. don't worry, it's just a starter that took me afew hours to work on all details together.

TienShen ripped out Baraka's blades and cut him in half. voila.

Way too much blood, the sprite positioning is bad, if he already killed him he shouldn't be stepping back, he should be getting in his victory pose, the face skin doesn't match the arm skin and the crotch-flap should be a bit more flat on the legs, instead of facing the viewer.
Also, why is Baraka shooting off from his body? Did it like get thrown or something? Because if that's not what happened, his upper-body should be a lot closer to the lower body.
And stop saying that your art is crappy. We know it's crappy, and we know that you saying you know it's crappy means that it's probably your best, and don't want to get made fun of so you say it's your worst.
Please, stop doing that. That shows you have a lack of confidence in your art, which is something that won't get you far. If you made it, and you enjoyed making it, then you should take pride in it, because there's no shame in being proud of what you made, even if people say it's bad.
3/10

atleast you tryed editing a sprite, looks kinda odd though. sapphire said what was mostly wrounge with it, one thing though, how come theres blood shooting out the end of the blades? unless there dripping then my bad lol.

-Foot

Foot_of_adhesive_tape said:
one thing though, how come theres blood shooting out the end of the blades? unless there dripping then my bad lol.

-Foot

well since Baraka's BLADES were ripped from his arms, i put meaty veins and such on his blades and blade sockets for gruesome realism

i have a suggestion for the sprite guy; like saphire once said,inverting something turns theblacks to whites. to avoid that, use this method i use:
in ms paint, paste in shei's suit and color it all black. then, paste the original suit over it, and invert the colors while it's still highlited. get rid of the black around the suit(filling it in with white)then paste it over the black suit. since the color white is transparent, the blacks will show up and make the suit realistic.
edit: my bad! it dosen't work with this sprite cuz the whites aren't pure white. i tried it myself.

Last edited:
Well, time for me to put my 2 cents in. (Damn these things not allowing the use of alt text input!) Don't mind if I rehash some of the other critiques here as I don't like to read the more in depth ones to keep an untainted view.

First off, the life bars, timer, and dragon symbols are all misplaced. Every bit of them is pushed too far down into the screen. The dragon symbols aren't far enough below the life bars, nor are they set far enough into the screen. I could rant on for ages on every part of that section that is screwed up but I'll stop now. Just remember, a reference photo is only www.mkw.mortalkombatonline.com away to get this right.

The fact that you actually edited the gore onto Baraka instead of using an existing sprite with the gore attached is a step in the right direction. Now you need to work on your cutting and pasting, and then especially the editing involved to make the two pieces flow together. Look at the in game sprites. Even they used tattered clothing with exposed skin before the guts when a body was torn in half.

The spine coming out of the body looks like crap btw. I know it's not your fault since Midway designed it that way, but it is your fault for not noticing it and fixing it.

The blood is way over done and none of it is original. Just a smathering of effects from in the game that don't fit well when that crowded into the screen.

The two characters should be placed a little closer to each other. Right now it looks as if Sub-Zer.... er, Tien Shen (isn't that a mix of DBZ characters?) miracled all the damage that is affecting Baraka. Good placement can make or break a fake. So for God's sake, do what it takes! :hmmmm: (ugh... I feel stupid after doing that)

The gore attached to the blades and Baraka's forearms is just a clever usage of pre-existing sinew that is coming from all of the torso gore throughout the game. No points there.

Your full sprite edit leaves a lot to be desired... The inversion of colors to get the blue has the lighting all kinds of jacked up. The parts that are supposed to be dark are light and vise-a-versa. It gives it a surreal look that doesn't flow well with MK. Also, it looks over saturated and very rough around the edges. Work on your pixel by pixel blending when using MSPaint. It's not as hard as it seems, just time consuming. The over saturation is killing the pants and the shin guards and well, basically the whole thing. It's too sharp and contrased. He's also got about 3 different skin tones going on at once. His arms don't even look real they're so bright. His hands are a disaster in action. They look like little fleshy balls growing out of his wrists and nothing like hands at all. The one closest to the viewer even looks like it's been put on backwards (palm facing out when it should be facking in).

I do have to say though, this Tien Shen must be one bad mutha to just hold on to some razor sharp blades with his bare hands.

Overall, you've created a Frankenstein type monster. What I mean is, that it's great and all for experimentation, but this should never have seen the light of day, KAI.

In the future, find a harsh critique who is willing to point these flaws out before you actually post your work. There's nothing wrong with getting advice from someone you consider to have an eye for the art. I'm always greatful for Khaos, Sapphire, and VenoMark for showing me where I've gone wrong and where I've gone right. I just don't like that they say my stuff is cartoony :reddy:

Better luck next time.