Official Shaolin Monks Smoke Missions Guide (w/Screens)

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
Find Smoke
First you must find Smoke. Smoke is found in a secret area in the Living Forest. You need to find the second set of Clay Statues and throw one of the moving ones against the center piece of the wall to reveal a door. You can only throw them after busting their shield with the "Fist of Ruin". Below you can see the door after it was opened:
Smokes Location.jpg

Once you find him he will give you missions, five in total, one at a time. Perform the mission and then return to him for the prize.

Quest 1
Smoke Quest 1.jpg

Kombat Tomb look-a-like room. Through the Tarkatans through the walls at the back to reveal the directions of Liu Kang's fatality.
Smoke Quest 1 Done.jpg

500 EXP Reward

Quest 2
Smoke Quest 2.jpg

Goto Wu-Shi Academy and destroy the evil statue blocking the path to the Warriors Shrine. Here is a picture of it open:
Smoke Quest 2 door.jpg

Keep going and when you reach the bridge you'll get notified it is complete.
Smoke Quest 2 done.jpg

700 EXP Reward

Quest 3
Smoke Quest 3.jpg

Return to the Soul Tombs and upon entering the main building, a new door will open with a skull above it. This is the torture chamber. You need to throw three Tarkatans into the each of the three torture areas on the walls.
Here is a picture of one of them:
Smoke Quest 3 Area 2.jpg

What you need to do is perform a Grapple (R+Black) to hold onto the enemy and move them into position. Then hit 2 (Y) to do a flip up to toss the enemy into the air. Quicky jump and do an in-air throw and toss them towards the open hole. Do this to all three areas.
Smoke Quest 3 done.jpg

700 EXP Reward

Quest 4
Smoke Quest 4.jpg

Go to the portal stage and throw an enemy into each one of the two Purple Portals.
Smoke Quest 4 Portals.jpg

You can use the Demon Captains, the Shadow Priests are not throwable.
Smoke Quest 4 Done.jpg

700 EXP Reward

Quest 5
Smoke Quest 5.jpg

Now you must take the portal at the end of the area Smoke is in, and that will take you to The Pit II from Mortal Kombat II. Here you will be presented with a long series of Demon Captains that you must defeat.
Smoke Quest 5 Pit 2.jpg

Defeat them all and live, and you will complete the final Smoke Quest.
Smoke Quest 5 Completed.jpg

Return to Smoke for your prize.
Smoke Quest 5 Done MK2.jpg

You are rewarded with a playable version of Mortal Kombat II and 700 EXP. You can access Mortal Kombat II on the Kontent Menu on the Main Menu of the game.

Mortal Kombat II
MKSM MK2.jpg

Sadly this is the same version of MK2 that came with Midway Arcade Classics Vol. 2. a year ago that has buggy sound & music.

It also is missing the ability to Random Select AND the ability to Battle Smoke. Here you can see I hit D+START when Toasty appeared on The Portal Stage. But I was presented with the PAUSE MENU instead.
MKSM MK2 No Smoke Battle.jpg

yea i just got it a minute ago and its disappointing how they just slapped in the MAT 2 version in there.........i wanted the full version :cry:

I am stuck on the 3rd mission. I have MKSM for PS2, and I'm grappling them and pressing triangle (the equivilant of Y), and nothing is happening. I just stay grappling them, and they don't flip or anything. What am I doing wrong?

Kryptonite said:
I am stuck on the 3rd mission. I have MKSM for PS2, and I'm grappling them and pressing triangle (the equivilant of Y), and nothing is happening. I just stay grappling them, and they don't flip or anything. What am I doing wrong?

Upgrade your Throw Button Special Moves to include that move.

Patrick McCarron said:
Kryptonite said:

Upgrade your Throw Button Special Moves to include that move.

Thanks. I completed it now. :D

I know it's off topic but, can you maybe PM me a guide for beating Shang Tsung, Kintaro and Shao Kahn.Just kind of tell me how you did it.

Camu-san said:
I know it's off topic but, can you maybe PM me a guide for beating Shang Tsung, Kintaro and Shao Kahn.Just kind of tell me how you did it.

We are working on those still, I haven't personally beaten it yet. But will be soon (tonite or tomorrow). Until then I'd say start a new thread and see what help gets provided to you. Thanks!

Well I can tell you how I did it for Kung Lao. Shang Tsung I just kepy on popping him in the air and doing 3 hit juggles with a throw. I repeated. Kintaro was really easy. I kept doing dive kicks 5 times land, 5 times land, repeat unitl dead. Shao Kahn I kept throwing my hat at him and staying a distance away. He will go into a mode where he uses his hammer. I still kept my distance throwing my hat. After a few small charges, he starts swinging his hammer in 360 motions towards. He circles about 7 times and then ends with a overhead swing. He gets stunned after that and you can hit him during this time. Not combo or anything cause he gets up and kicks your butt. I just keep using the hat or project at him. Oh when he starts swinging his hammer at you, use your long jump and jump across to the otherside and then follow around the circle and long jump again. I killed him on the 4th try. Hope this can be useful.

Your direction request is my command. Ok you need to go to the Wushi Academy. Pretty much almost all the way from the start of the Wushi Academy. Remember when you came up to the that bridge and right when you started walking on it, a cinema came on showing a spiked ball flying right at it and destroying the top part of it and you had to jump a little further not to get hit? Well instead of going right to take that bridge, go left and you will see a small pit with some spikes and a higer part of ground. Long jump over that and walk ahead. There you will see a statue to break. Also, if you walk further into the area of the warrior shrines. The moment your in there, there is a walk to the right you can run up on and grab. So you do that and jump up on the top and there is a statue. Walk p to it and intertact with it. Keep doing this and it will come to life and you will fight Ermac at the warrior shrine.

wow, thanks, i couldnt figure out how to get out of the one part of the academy, I guess im just still in shock that my Redskins came back to beat those damn Cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you guys done the smoke missions with all 4 fighters. I need to do it with Scorpion. Just wondering if anything was unlocked when done that way. Will try it out tonight.

Hi,
I'll probably get yelled at but...
I've done all the Smoke missions and hes said MKII is unlocked.
But where is it?
Does it load automatically and my PS2 is just crap?
Is there a special menu for it?
Do i need to be playing 2 player to play it?
I'm confused.

So yeh if you guys would tell me where MKII is unlocked to that'd help me out.