Martial Arts Thread

I did TaeKwonDo for 13 years (started at 7) and stopped doing it due to moving away for college and I didn't want to open up a school of my own (which was pretty much a must in order to test for the 4th degree Black Belt).
It was awesome as a hobby and it was a great discipline that I loved.
I've lost a good 21 lbs since 2012, so it may be a good regiment to start up again to add to my fitness plan.

I think you are confusing Ju Jitsu with Judo or Brazalian Ju Jitsu. Both Judo and Brazilian Ju Jitsu are more competitive oriented. The main focus of Judo, is throws and takedowns and the focus to Brazilian Ju Jitsu is to get the opponent on the ground and lock him. Both of these are impractical in real life situations.

However Ju Jitsu, in its tradional forms have lots of disarming techniques which is really useful in real life situations. Also contrary to popular beliefs Ju Jitsu employs strikes and kicks as well and not just a grab based martial art.

Learn you some.

Not necessairly. I think a lot of people on here themselves are being impractical. As a black belt in Judo, I have seen it work first hand many times in street fight situations and conflicts. I think a lot of people here think if they learn striking rather than grappling they can combat more than one.

That's straight unrealistic. Two people, maybe. But that can be done with grappling also.

If three people are coming at you, unless you're really lucky and can knock them all out with one punch in the span of 3 seconds, then you're ****ed.

If it is more than two, run. Honestly. It never works out like the Bruce Lee movies guys. The more you know, the better. But it is just like believing in effective self defense for combating a knife or gun.

It is always a gamble. That being said, I believe from experience practicing boxing as well, that grappling is much more applicable. You throw someone on concrete floor, they're usually done. Striking implies you're going to trade blows, and that is in of itself, a gamble.

Just my two cents from quite a few fights growing up.

Also, Judo does teach striking, contrary to popular belief. It is just often disregarded since it is not allowed in competitive scenarios.

It all depends on the individual school as well. Not only do they vary in quality of instruction, but their focus as well. I used to attend a dojang that more or less focused on the sport of form Taekwondo. Techniques placed emphasis on kicking over all else. I can only recall one day where the instructor decided to do a punching drill and a handful of "self-defense" techniques. Looking back it at now, it was good exercise, not something would prepare for a real confrontation.