Snes or Genesis?

Well, for MK1, I would say PC. Everything from the arcade was there and there were cheats too. It was ok on Genesis, I guess. MKII on the SNES was far superior to MKII for Genesis. For one, if you had to go out and buy a new controller just to play a good game, that's a little excessive. Oh, and "Blast Processing" was complete nonsense. Every Nintendo system since the SNES has had 2 graphics processors.

As biased towards Sega as I always have been, I'll give a more unbiased answer. MK1 on the Genesis had the blood and fatalities intact as well as playing better than the SNES version, so it wins there. MK2 on the SNES had better graphics and sound than the Genesis version and all the blood and fatalities that MK1 on the SNES didn't have, so it wins there.

Wyckid said:
For one, if you had to go out and buy a new controller just to play a good game, that's a little excessive. Oh, and "Blast Processing" was complete nonsense. Every Nintendo system since the SNES has had 2 graphics processors.

MK 1 and 2 were plenty playable with a 3 button controller. There were some variances on how to perform certain moves, but it didn't really hinder how the game played at all (unless anyone really missed the immensely weak crouching low punch). I enjoyed both games on my Genesis for quite a while before I even got a 6 button controller. MK3 is a whole different story, but the first two games were fine.

"Blast processing" may have been an excessive term used to sell consoles, but the Genesis was still faster than the SNES, even if not by much.

i always hated genesis. most of the games (save 1, the sonic series) were terrible. on top of that i could never adapt to the controller, it pissed me off. i will grant you that mk1 was shit on snes thanx to all the BS censorship, but otherwise i found it much easier to play with a controller that is styled the right way for the game, and after mk1 i had no complaints.

to be honest i never found any sega games to be worth shit. sonic is an exception only because i see him as the mario-esque icon of that platform.

Well MK1 SNES, the gameplay was very sluggish. However, at the same time, the gameplay in MK1 is pretty terrible, so that didn't make a huge difference. Graphics wise, the Genesis version was damned near the ugliest thing ever. Blood and full fatalities or not, I couldn't stand how terrible it looked.

Vote=SNES

MK2 is hands down better on SNES. There is no single redeaming quality in MK2 for the Genesis. The sounds are god-awful, the graphics are heinous, and the gameplay is no closer to the arcade then SNES's.

Vote= So long as you can see and hear, SNES has to get your vote.

If snes had blood, then I vote Snes. But since it doesn't, I'm still going to vote Snes. It had more of the arcade feel to it, even though it didn't have blood... :/

Khaos said:
If snes had blood, then I vote Snes. But since it doesn't, I'm still going to vote Snes. It had more of the arcade feel to it, even though it didn't have blood... :/

Well he did say MK1 and MK2, and SNES MK2 had plenty of blood...

As much as it pains me that there was no blood in MKI SNES, I must still say SNES thanks to the graphics and gameplay for both.

And Ryknow, as much as I respect you, I must say that your comment that your opinion is "unbiased" is rather suspect, since only someone with a Genesis bias could possibly think it acceptable to play MK with a three-button controller.

I must say that for MKII snes wins, not even a comparison in my book. MKI is a tough one, because even tho genesis had blood and fatalities they were the ugliest fatalities i have ever seen, Kanos heart rip it was a circle in the arcade, and on genesis it looked like Kano pulled out their liver, just an all around ugly version, even so the snes gameplay was kinda sloppy and unresponsive, for that reason genesis gets my vote for MKI

Love Cowboy said:
And Ryknow, as much as I respect you, I must say that your comment that your opinion is "unbiased" is rather suspect, since only someone with a Genesis bias could possibly think it acceptable to play MK with a three-button controller.

Well, perhaps it's just my experience with the game, but I never had a problem playing the first two games with a 3 button controller. A number of moves were actually easier, too (for example, Kitana's fan only required you to hit forward, forward, A). Obviously the games were tons better with a 6 button, and once I played 'em that way I couldn't go back, but I still think the games are plenty playable without them (again, though, MK3 is a different story). I think it's less a factor of "bias" and more of a factor of being used to the 3 button controller, though.

Anyway, when I said I thought MK1 was better on the Genesis I wasn't even thinking about the 3 button thing. If I had to compare a 3 button Genesis MK1 to the SNES version, well, my verdict would probably be different. Although you couldn't do much in MK1 anyway, but... eh, tough call.

3 button pad for megadrive was no problem once you got used to pressing start to switch. I even played SF2 with the 3 button before I got one of the new pads.

how anyone can doubt the quality of the MD's roster I dont know. If you were young at the time and saw how completely unique sonic was, youd never say something like that. The sheer speed of it blew everyone away. It was far more than just a mascot.

DeathcoreRyknow said:
...the Genesis was still faster than the SNES, even if not by much.

If you've ever played "Bubsy the Bobcat" or "Uniracers" on the SNES, then you'd know that that is complete BS. You could also find system spec sheets on both systems and realize that the Genesis was way overpowered by the SNES.

In the end, the only way the Genesis could possibly be "faster" than the SNES is because crappy graphics can process faster. :wink:

Oh, and the 3-button thing didn't bother me much because when I first got MK1 on the PC, my gamepad only had 2 BUTTONS! You actually had to press BOTH buttons to block! AUGH! So, that's why I'm so good at fighting games using a keyboard... heh.

The Genesis had a higher clock speed. But, the genesis was less capable of processing in each tick of the clock.

That's why the SNES could do so much more. Even the 32X was nothing too spectacular, although that was mostly limited by the cartridge size available at the time. That's why MK2 for 32X still has dramatically less color and overall worse looking graphics then the SNES version.

DreemerNJ said:
That's why MK2 for 32X still has dramatically less color and overall worse looking graphics then the SNES version.

I think that was more because of Probe, the development company Midway always used to do the Sega conversions of MK games. For the 32X version of MK2, they didn't even bother redoing the game, they just took the Genesis version and added more colors and a few extra frames of animation (like a whopping 5 total). The 32X was more capable than the SNES on paper, but no one really bothered to take advantage of that technology, they were content on just making piss-poor updates of existing Genesis titles. The truly amazing thing, though, is that the 32X conversion of Virtua Fighter was probably closer to its arcade counterpart than MK2 was.

Off-topic, Probe sucks ass and I hope they're long out of business by now. Just look at the shit job they did on MK2 for the Saturn, a platform that was plenty capable of running an arcade perfect version. The only thing even remotely decent they did was the Saturn version of Primal Rage.

DeathcoreRyknow said:
DreemerNJ said:
That's why MK2 for 32X still has dramatically less color and overall worse looking graphics then the SNES version.

I think that was more because of Probe, the development company Midway always used to do the Sega conversions of MK games. For the 32X version of MK2, they didn't even bother redoing the game, they just took the Genesis version and added more colors and a few extra frames of animation (like a whopping 5 total). The 32X was more capable than the SNES on paper, but no one really bothered to take advantage of that technology, they were content on just making piss-poor updates of existing Genesis titles. The truly amazing thing, though, is that the 32X conversion of Virtua Fighter was probably closer to its arcade counterpart than MK2 was.

Off-topic, Probe sucks ass and I hope they're long out of business by now. Just look at the shit job they did on MK2 for the Saturn, a platform that was plenty capable of running an arcade perfect version. The only thing even remotely decent they did was the Saturn version of Primal Rage.

I agree completely. The point I was going for, and reading over it I don't think I was successful, was that even if they did go all out for the 32X version of MK2, it would look like crap because cartridge memory was so expensive that they wouldn't be allowed to make it since they knew it wouldn't be a big seller.

Virtua Fighter was extremely impressive at the time, I think because 3D games don't need as much cart room. (Ridge Racer for PSX could fit on an SNES cart no problem -CD audio). With VF they just had to make it correctly and not worry too much about space. Plus, VF would sell hugely in Japan and so that's always a good argument for making something.

MK2 for Saturn was an abomination. Based on the versus games for that system, it could have handled an amazing version of MK2. But instead they made a crappy looking crappy sounding game with LOADING DURING THE MATCH. They should have been forced out of business for making that. Just like M$ should have been forced out for Windows ME.

I am a supporter of Mandatory Bankruptcy.

DreemerNJ said:
I agree completely. The point I was going for, and reading over it I don't think I was successful, was that even if they did go all out for the 32X version of MK2, it would look like crap because cartridge memory was so expensive that they wouldn't be allowed to make it since they knew it wouldn't be a big seller.

Gotcha, I get your drift now.

DreemerNJ said:
MK2 for Saturn was an abomination. Based on the versus games for that system, it could have handled an amazing version of MK2. But instead they made a crappy looking crappy sounding game with LOADING DURING THE MATCH. They should have been forced out of business for making that. Just like M$ should have been forced out for Windows ME.

I am a supporter of Mandatory Bankruptcy.

Word. I'm glad to see someone that feels the same way about that whole thing, 'cause it's pissed me off for years.