Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shao Kahn

My OWN pants-- oh wait, these aren't mine
    Xbox Live
    ryknowcore
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I've already dialed in my views on the arcade thing previously, but to reiterate, compared to what the arcades were 5-10 years ago, they are dead now. Hell, even the Gameworks I used to go to is pretty deserted now, and that's like the grandaddy of arcades right there.

If it was just the little crappy arcades closing down and struggling for business, that'd be one thing, but it's not, it's all arcades. Give me one arcade in the country that's currently doing even half the business it was doing back when MK and Street Fighter ruled. There could very well be another resurgence in the future, but as of right now, the arcade business is burnt out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah it's really sad. I was at 8 on the Break this past Monday which is a relatively big arcade, even by standards 10 + years ago, mostly fighting games, some pool tables, a lot of pinball, misc ancient games, some DDR type games as well. At any one point there was no more than like 5 or 6 people in there but we got there around 9 PM. On tourny nights it fills up a little, but all people who are playing the specific games. I went on a Tuesday back in February and I played at least 8 different people in UMK3, and they didn't just play and leave. There were more people watch as well, the thing that sucks about the location of UMK3 in the building is it's in a narrow spot right by the bathroom before the pool tables where the room widens around a corner, so you have people walking by a lot and there can't be a crowd or it'll be a fire hazard lol.

ECCX tournament for UMK3 is coming up May 28th, and I cannot wait. Should be a lot of people at least watching, probably no more than 12 in the (unofficial) tournament. Unofficial...
    www.ultimatemk.com - your source for UMK3 competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well every Friday and Saturday noght where I go there's at least 20 to 30 people in the arcade (it's in a mall) and the arcade only has like 30 machines or less. 2 CVS2 machines, 1 Tekken 5, 2 Third Strike, 1 MVC2, 1 Guilty Gear, 1 Neo-Geo with Samurai Showdown 5, 1 SNK VS Capcom Chaos, and various dance games, shooters, and racers.

There's always good comp and no scrubs on the fighters

Kombatant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juergen
    Well every Friday and Saturday noght where I go there's at least 20 to 30 people in the arcade (it's in a mall) and the arcade only has like 30 machines or less. 2 CVS2 machines, 1 Tekken 5, 2 Third Strike, 1 MVC2, 1 Guilty Gear, 1 Neo-Geo with Samurai Showdown 5, 1 SNK VS Capcom Chaos, and various dance games, shooters, and racers.

There's always good comp and no scrubs on the fighters
    20 to 30 people in an arcade with 30 machines is a fantastic number of people now, but, it is still Dead compared to how arcades used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the mid 80s to the mid 90s, when I was in Atlantic City NJ way more often than I should have been, you couldn't even walk because the arcades were so packed. It would be incredibly hot in them because there were TOO many people in a small space, it was definitely not regulation. Having to wait in line to play Rampage, TMNT, Wrestlefest, eventually SF, then UMK3, those were the days.
    www.ultimatemk.com - your source for UMK3 competition.

Xbox Live
    Darth Sadistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EWAShock
    Having to wait in line to play Rampage, TMNT, Wrestlefest, eventually SF, then UMK3, those were the days.
    Ahhh memories, those games were awesome! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Shao Kahn

Sad about the arcades...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information