How to unlock secret characters in UMK3 for MAME?

hexadevil

I know someone has figured out a way to do this but I haven't seen anything here...

Is there a way to unlock the secret characters like Ermac and Classic Sub Zero in the UMK3 MAME rom? I've tried entering the UKC, but it always fails. There should be a way with either an audit or a repack to unlock the characters manually.

Any ideas?

You can unlock them via switches in the MAME cheat menu (which you need to download the cheat.dat file to use). You should be able to download the file at whatever place you use for your MAME utilities.

The codes should work fine, though. I put mine in through the UKK screen, just like you would in the arcade, and got each one on the first try. Maybe you're just confused about what buttons are used and what order they're put in. For the number combinations juergen gave, this is the order the buttons go in:

(Player 1) HP, LP, BL, LK, HK, (Player 2) HP, LP, BL, LK, HK

Thanks. I enabled cheats and double-checked my .dat file - everything looks normal.

But, when I enter the cheat menu, and try to enable the hidden characters using the provided cheat, they never unlock. I saw somewhere that it was supposedly a cheat engine problem, but I am currently running MAME 0.95 and the newest release of UMK3. Still no luck.

I tried entering the UKK's but for some reason the last 2 to 4 characters are locked and I can't change them. I thought this was related to the game difficutly but it seems more to be related to the difficulty ladder you pick, and not the game difficulty setting. Even when I beat it on the highest ladder, at least 2 of the last UKK icons are locked and I can't change them.

Any additional thoughts?

OK well I tried entering the UKK, but as soon as I hit ANY button, the screen shakes and it takes my entry. I can't seem to change any of the symbols to the right ones. Any thoughts on that one? If I can't press the buttons to enter the symbols, I have NO idea how to enter the UKK...

Oh, geez, now I see what you're talking about. You're not on the "Ultimate Kombat Kode" screen, you're on the "Lost Treasures of Shao Kahn" screen, in which you choose your reward after beating the game. That's completely different.

The UKK screen comes up in place of the "game over" screen when you haven't unlocked all the characters. You don't even need to bother with beating the game to get to it, either. Just start a normal game on any difficulty ladder, lose a match, and let the "Kontinue" counter run out.

Right after that you'll be prompted with the "Enter An Ultimate Kombat Kode" screen with 3 bars that each contain 10 boxes (all of which are set to the dragon symbol by default). You then have 10 seconds to enter one of the UKKs. It's just like entering the versus screen codes, only it's expanded to include the high punch and high kick buttons on both controllers. From there, just use the information we gave you above.

Also, since you need to use the buttons of both players to enter the code, you'll probably want to configure the 2nd player's buttons to something you'll easily remember. I personally have the 2nd player controls mapped on the number pad of my keyboard to resemble the arcade controls (7=HP, 1=LP, 5=BL, 3=LK, 9=HK), which I did especially for putting in the UKKs.

Good luck!

Damn im retarded.. Thanks!

But now I've hit the same problem everyone else has where the character select screen is all goofy looking now that I've unlocked everyone....

I've seen posts about it before but none with any resolution to the problem...

hexadevil said:
Damn im retarded.. Thanks!

But now I've hit the same problem everyone else has where the character select screen is all goofy looking now that I've unlocked everyone....

I've seen posts about it before but none with any resolution to the problem...

Yeah, you're pretty much stuck with it-- that's what mine looks like, too. My only suggestion would be to keep disabling the hidden characters and then re-entering the codes over and over again until you somehow get lucky and the select screen doesn't look like that, but that'll probably just be a huge waste of time. I could almost swear that I had all the hidden characters in without the screen screwing up before (I've had to re-enter the codes since I originally downloaded the rom for some reason), but I could just be imagining crap.

I've also always been irritated by the poor sound quality of this game in MAME. I'm going to make a custom Linux install with X configured to run at 54Hz so I can truely match video and sound clock.

I'm determined to make this rom work perfectly!!! It's 1 of 4 roms I even play (MK, MKII, UMK3, and Killer Instinct), so if I'm only playin these games, they might as well work right...