Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

What are the next (big) events where something could be announced?

The Game Awards on December 7th is another big event where they could announce something or reveal a trailer if they wanted to.

Will they, though? Don't know.
Anything is possible at this point.

Here's something to keep the hype up during this excruciating wait.

Is it just me or does Jade look like J. Lo in this video?

Thought about this the other day, but would anyone be opposed to NRS doing an Injustice 2 TMNT type of thing for MK11, where we don't technically have variations but rather gameplay loadouts?
Now, I'm NOT talking about individual "gear" but rather a way to switch up the type of kunai or swords (using Scorpion as a prime example, since he'll 100% be in the next game), and it either makes the character more of a zoner or rush-down.

Skins could still be unlocked via the Krypt, individual character Towers, as DLC etc, etc, etc...... but I was thinking if the TMNT in Injustice 2 were a way of NRS testing out a new type of feature in upcoming games, as a way to circumvent having to create 3 separate Scorpion character models for 1 character, as was the case in MKX.

I think it was Boon who mentioned that the variations were actually done as 3 separate character models for each MKX character, so we technically got 100 characters in MKXL, when all was said and done.

I wouldn’t mind having different load outs. However, the question is how would be able to unlock the characters weapons and or equipment.

I had in mind the weapon / equipment being unlocked from the start, since a lot of people didn't care for the rng system in Injustice 2.

I feel the gears gotta go because that gear management gets annoying/overwhelming after a while. But legendary costumes and the requirements to get them should get transferred to Mortal Kombat albeit in a different fashion. DLC costumes should work like premiere skins in Injustice or purchased via randomized color coded Koins like in MKDA (not like source crystals). Keep the leveling system for living towers and/or legendary towers, but make it where certain moves are unlocked via a skill tree in the mode(s). That way it'll be separate from online mode. And please bring something similar to factions because Guilds in Injustice are not the way imo. Factions were a bit more balanced (in the beginning at least) and you didn't have stuff split between 1000s of different groups.

Loadouts can be fun in sense that it gives players a degree of customizing a character. The downside it can multiply factors that can make balancing more difficult, even compared to character variations. Historically, variations, even the global variety, had balancing issues. In Street Fighter Alpha 3, for example, the very high damage output of the custom combos made V-ism the preferred choice for most characters.

Last edited:
I'm cool with the gear if it doesn't have stats tied to them.
Injustice's Gear system was awesome, but too clunky and tiresome. How the costumes pieces were essentially lego pieces, and you could run an event 50 times and get the same helmet every time, but it doesn't have the jaw piece you want. Just give us a proper customization system where we can pick each piece ourselves.

I'm super amped for this game tho. The jump from Injustice 1 to MKX was incredible. I can only imagine what they're doing with all this extra time.

Gear with stats tied to them belongs in the JRPG genre. Last time I checked, Mortal Kombat is NOT a JRPG.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Commander said:
Skins could still be unlocked via the Krypt, individual character Towers, as DLC etc, etc, etc...... but I was thinking if the TMNT in Injustice 2 were a way of NRS testing out a new type of feature in upcoming games, as a way to circumvent having to create 3 separate Scorpion character models for 1 character, as was the case in MKX.

I was just talking about the weapon-specific thing, as a different loadout, rather than NRS creating variations, per se.

Nothing to do with skins / costumes.

Meaning, swap out a different kunai or sword for Scorpion (as an example) and he has a different set of moves / specials / combos tied to it, rather than NRS having to create 3 separate character models again (like they did for MKX).
It's the same way that 80% of the TMNT's base moves / specials are the same, with the other 20% being tied to that weapon.
That's where I was going with that.
Just wondering if that was a "testing" of sorts for that feature in MK11.

EDIT:
I don't know how to explain it, and perhaps I'm not explaining it right since I'm not involved with game development, but basically what I want to know is:

"Were the Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2 a way of NRS bypassing / circumventing having to do 'variations' just to include them?"

No other character in Injustice 2 has that feature of swapping out the weapon and completely changing the up the character gameplay (IIRC), unless you can do that with the elusive Staff Of Grayson (which I don't have).

Last edited:
Oh wow all this time and still no MK news? Anything but a 1v1 fighter and good PC port would make me pre-order. MK9 was great because it was fresh, it went downhill with MKX and I couldn't care less about Injustice. They really need to build something new and original, instead of producing these same cookie-cutter games for almost 10 years. Deception could be a good starting point, or Shaolin Monks.

They'd lose a massive portion of their MK fanbase if they went back to the 3d fighting.

Which is why I think they're going to use that for the horror icon game, if they ever make it.

I don't mind 3D but will take 2D as well. I meant the same old storymode, for example. All four games were exactly the same. Cutscene, 1v1 fight, done. It worked with MK9 because of how new that concept was. I couldn't go through most of the MKX storymode because of how boring & repetitive it was, just YouTube'd it.

Maybe it was the last MK game. *shrugs*

Doubt it.

Take this with a grain of salt:

https://youtu.be/E_7F8pJsQ4s

Possible that they couldn't get the Beta to work properly, but yes, taking it with a grain of salt.
That said, with Carlos being his brother, I can easily see something like "we have a new MK game being worked" on coming up in regular conversations, with Carlos keeping it vague and not necessarily giving away vital / spoiler info.

What makes me sceptical about that video are the following:

1) the guy posted the video on his YouTube channel on August 9th, 2018. The fact no other MK YouTuber caught wind of the video is really weird.

2) Granted that Carlos is still with NRS. I don’t think he’s allowed to tell his brother anything in regards to what the next project NRS is working on.

While Ed Boon has mentioned it on Twitter over a month ago that the NRS team are working their next project and in a way believe that they didn’t have Demo to show at E3. After being fooled so many times over the fake and click bait crap. I’m not taking this video seriously.

What Carlos said seems plausible. NRS is 100% working on a next MK game, they pretty much admitted it in that 25 year anniversary video...