RIP Carrie Fisher ("Princess Leia" of Star Wars fame)

Tarkatan Trash

Her passing comes in the aftermath of a heart attack she suffered 4 days earlier. She was 60.

This is devastating. The mere presence of Princess Leia was a dominating force in the original Star Wars trilogy, and particularly stood out to me almost as much as Darth Vader when I was exposed to those films during my childhood, and I felt like a kid in a candy store when I saw her again in The Force Awakens last year.

RIP Princess Leia. May the Force be with you...

23e6cefefa4b563c9355be397cef97db.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2016 has been Brutal with celebrity deaths. Rip Carrie Fisher may the force be with you.

Re: RIP Carrie Fisher ("Princess Leia" of Star Wars fame)

And only the day before, her mother reported that she was in "stable condition".

Amd how this impacts the future of Star Wars is the last thing on my mind, and I don't even want to talk about speculation on Leia's in-universe fate for obvious reasons. However, it should be noted that Fisher had already finished filming her scenes for Episode VIII, so the only impact her passing will have on that film, beyond editing, will be an "in memory of Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)" text in the closing credits.

And I'll just speak from my heart here. When I was a child, I never thought I'd ever be a Star Wars fan (the fact that I have a ROTS Anakin Skywalker avatar here speaks volumes on how THAT turned out), but as stated previously, Princess Leia was one of the characters who stood out to me the most when I first saw the original trilogy as a child. She was the first female character I was ever exposed to who was a real badass (and keep in mind, this was before the likes of Sarah Connor, Samus Aran, Chun Li, Sonya Blade, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, and Tifa Lockhart came about, so Princess Leia was obviously ahead of her time), and the first fictional princess with that type of personality I was exposed to as well at that (whether or not she IS a real princess depends on your point of view; her title of Princess is because of her adopted parents, Bail Organa and Breha Organa, who were royalty on the planet of Alderaan, but her biological parents were Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala, the latter of whom had been Queen of Naboo for 8 years...turns out Queens are elected officials on Naboo, and Padme was NOT on the Throne of Naboo when Leia was born). I was particularly fascinated by the fact that immediately after she was rescued from her jail cell aboard the Death Star she took charge of the escape, and from there displayed her toughness and leadership that made her a respected leader in the Rebel Alliance, even putting her own life in danger to rescue Han Solo, and in the process, killing Jabba the Hutt (which stands as my favorite Princess Leia moment). To this day, Princess Leia remains my favorite female character in all of Star Wars, and one of my top 3 fictional princesses ever (along with Kitana and Zelda), so the loss of the woman responsible for bringing her character to life on the big screen is a devastating loss.

Also, I saw this on the Jedi Council Forums yesterday.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Seriously...screw 2016! It's bad enough that Carrie's gone. Now her mother just died of a stroke the very next day! (I just learned this news on the Jedi Council Forums, by the way).

I had a feeling 2016 would be cruel after David Bowie and Glenn Frey checked out. I just didn't see THIS coming. A mother and daughter celebrity duo within 36 hours of each other? 2016 is sending a parting shot that its cruelty knows no boundaries.

Stable doesn't exactly mean improved, she was just stable in that same condition. She didn't get better or worse from when admitted to hospital. People hear the status and often think it means that the person got better....

Sad loss, was rather shocked to hear of her heart attack, not so much her death, as they had reported when she was in the hospital that she was being kept alive by a ventilator.

Seen all the older movies, went to see Return of he Jedi in the 90's when they re-released all the old ones. RIP. Sad about her mother as well.

Re: RIP Carrie Fisher ("Princess Leia" of Star Wars fame)

Stable doesn't exactly mean improved, she was just stable in that same condition. She didn't get better or worse from when admitted to hospital. People hear the status and often think it means that the person got better....

Sad loss, was rather shocked to hear of her heart attack, not so much her death, as they had reported when she was in the hospital that she was being kept alive by a ventilator.

Seen all the older movies, went to see Return of he Jedi in the 90's when they re-released all the old ones. RIP. Sad about her mother as well.

I just saw Rogue One on opening night, 11 days before Carrie died. That final scene just seems so sad now (despite being immediately after the movie's most badass scene). I also bought the Complete Saga Blu Ray set earlier this year as well. I didn't feel like watching any Star Wars (not even the Prequels, where Leia was portrayed by the then-infant son of a member of the editing staff for obvious reasons) this soon after Carrie's passing because I was literally afraid of crying at the sight of an actress who is no longer with us, a feeling I have never had over any celebrity death before.

Also, it's even sadder that life imitated art to an extent with the passing of her mother Debbie Reynolds (from Singing in the Rain and Charlotte's Web) the next day. In the Star Wars saga, Princess Leia's mother, Padme Amidala, died of a broken heart within seconds of giving birth (in this case, over Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, along with the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire). Debbie Reynolds dying of a stroke the day after her own daughter died of a heart attack is about the closest thing imaginable to dying of a broken heart in real life.

Also, if you're interested in Leia-related Expanded Universe material (modern canon, that is), obviously, Marvel has published some Leia comics, but there's also the Bloodline novel written by Claudia Gray that was published this year. The biggest selling point here is
Spoiler:
Darth Vader's true identity, along with the fact that he's Leia's father, gets exposed to the New Republic Senate...and this is 6 years before the events of TFA. Needless to say, the consequences are bad for Leia, both politically and personally.

Also, a Lightsaber vigil for Carrie.

Last edited: