REVEALED! The #SecretHistory of #Khrome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secret history? Wasn't this like a common knowledge? I am surprised someone wrote an article trying to explain this.

I think these two points are important:
* No one from Netherrealm or WB has ever spoken to us about making Khrome an official character in a game, and they wouldn’t need to.
* Khrome was not a fan creation. We are licensing partners.

Last edited:
I think these two points are important:
* No one from Netherrealm or WB has ever spoken to us about making Khrome an official character in a game, and they wouldn’t need to.
* Khrome was not a fan creation. We are licensing partners.

1. Well if Ed Boon asked multiple times who the f^&* is Khrome, then I am not surprised, that no one spoken about making him an official character. That's old news.
2. This one is even older news. Hell if you wanted to know the origins of Khrome you could have just asked [MENTION=12345]Tarkatan Trash[/MENTION] , dude managed to put entire Khrome origin story into "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" format.

The thing is about Khrome... Kharacters like Ermac or Skarlet, were game glitches. They were known to developers from the get go, so once rumors appeared about these secret characters in game, they could easily start working on that. Khrome on other hand... fanbase made it into this full developed character, before developers even knew what was going on.
While Khrome name wasn't fan creation, his powers and entire backstory was made by fans. Which means, that NRS didn't care about him for a long time, because they treated it as just one of fan creations AND one of the golden game dev rules is not to take kharacter ideas from non employees.
Basically... Khrome is a complicated mess, so I am very skeptical about him being added to any future games. Especially as Khrome now has a bad taste with both community (treats like a spam) and developers who were spammed with it to the point, it gave them a headache (especially Ed boon)

1. Well if Ed Boon asked multiple times who the f^&* is Khrome, then I am not surprised, that no one spoken about making him an official character. That's old news.
2. This one is even older news. Hell if you wanted to know the origins of Khrome you could have just asked [MENTION=12345]Tarkatan Trash[/MENTION] , dude managed to put entire Khrome origin story into "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" format.

The thing is about Khrome... Kharacters like Ermac or Skarlet, were game glitches. They were known to developers from the get go, so once rumors appeared about these secret characters in game, they could easily start working on that. Khrome on other hand... fanbase made it into this full developed character, before developers even knew what was going on.
While Khrome name wasn't fan creation, his powers and entire backstory was made by fans. Which means, that NRS didn't care about him for a long time, because they treated it as just one of fan creations AND one of the golden game dev rules is not to take kharacter ideas from non employees.
Basically... Khrome is a complicated mess, so I am very skeptical about him being added to any future games. Especially as Khrome now has a bad taste with both community (treats like a spam) and developers who were spammed with it to the point, it gave them a headache (especially Ed boon)

It's not a matter of 'if' they will add Chrome, it's a matter of 'when'. See this video
https://twitter.com/MKXChrome/status/796056608321269760

Last edited:
It's not a matter of 'if' they will add Chrome, it's a matter of 'when'. See this video
https://twitter.com/MKXChrome/status/796056608321269760

I can safely say "No"

Sooo.. where do you see "when"? He is a joke nothing more. Hell Ed Boon pretty much said, what I said. They have no idea who he is, he saw fan creations and that's it. I never say 100%, so in this case I am 99.9% sure he is not gonna be put into Mortal Kombat.

That would also encourage a lot of people start to create their own characters, and then seek popularity in community to push those new designs.

I can safely say "No"

Sooo.. where do you see "when"? He is a joke nothing more. Hell Ed Boon pretty much said, what I said. They have no idea who he is, he saw fan creations and that's it. I never say 100%, so in this case I am 99.9% sure he is not gonna be put into Mortal Kombat.

That would also encourage a lot of people start to create their own characters, and then seek popularity in community to push those new designs.

Ed Boon said 'No' to Chrome being DLC and he gave his reasons why. He also said they don't hate him and it's not that they don't wanna do it but he barely knows who Chrome is because he doesn't have a backstory and that can easily be done by making him a backstory. Chrome is not a fan creation, he was made by PCS Collectibles who are licencing partners. Also Rain started out as a joke and then got made into an actual character the same can happen to Chrome.

Last edited:
Ed Boon said 'No' to Chrome being DLC and he gave his reasons why. He also said they don't hate him and it's not that they don't wanna do it but he barely knows who Chrome is because he doesn't have a backstory and that can easily be done by making him a backstory. Chrome is not a fan creation, he was made by PCS Collectibles who are licencing partners. Also Rain started out as a joke and then got made into an actual character the same can happen to Chrome.

They made a figure, but they didn't create whole Khrome persona. It was fans who gave him that, not the company. It only produced a mistake.

Secondly just like Ermac or Skarlet, Rain was already "part" of the game. He was first seen in UMK3. So yet again. No. Khrome situation is unique. Rain, Ermac and Skarlet were products of either a glitch in the game or were put in the game as a background characters and developers were aware of them from Day 1. Khrome on other hand was produced by a mistake and by a different company.

They only made a figure and gave him (jokingly) a name Khrome. Entire backstory, his new appearance, his powers and so on, have been molded by the community. So technically he is also a fan creation. PCS Collectibles didn't give him that. Only the name and that figure. So why is it so important?
As I mentioned before, companies avoid using material made by community as they are in danger of being sued. But ok let's just say, NRS can just make a new background for him.

He isn't popular. He was popular back then, but once people learned his origins, the interest began to fade and Khrome in time received a bad rep, as a lot of people forcefully pushed Khrome idea. To the point it became super annoying. None of the mentioned characters above (Rain, Skarlet, Tremor or Ermac) received such hate as Khrome receives it now.

I mean, just write the name Khrome on any forum and you will be met with negativity. He is not popular. He isn't considered, just a joke. He is a bad joke. This is why I am so skeptical about him being added to MK. He has a bad reputation, and bad reputation means incoming flak from the community (for example the fact that he takes a precious slot, which could be used by someone else) and bad sales. Bad sales, means he won't turn profit and will just make the studio lose money.

And also when it comes to Khrome himself... his current design is lazy. This is not 2000, where you can get away with color swaps. MK has enough ninjas as it is, so Khrome looking like a generic Ninja ain't helping. So just the more reason, he doesn't receive much of the support. Because with the current rep he has, Khrome supporters now have to really try hard to sell the idea. Just making a petition with a picture of silver Sub zero and a massive essay won't help.

Shit I made a petition for Frost with her own f%^&king custom trailer with hand drawn frames and that barely got any attention from the fanbase. And she is pretty popular when it comes to female characters as well, but yet THAT was STILL NOT enough. So imagine what you have to do for Khrome then.

"But NRS listened to Tremor's petition, so why it won't work for Khrome?"

Tremor was already part of MK universe. MK Special Forces. People knew him. In a good way. And there was a massive hype for him too. That helped as well.

So in short. Either you guys start working on your marketing or you ain't seeing Khrome on MK. As long as MK community shows this kind of negativity to Khrome, you won't see him on a game. So you can start with fixing that.

They made a figure, but they didn't create whole Khrome persona. It was fans who gave him that, not the company. It only produced a mistake.

Secondly just like Ermac or Skarlet, Rain was already "part" of the game. He was first seen in UMK3. So yet again. No. Khrome situation is unique. Rain, Ermac and Skarlet were products of either a glitch in the game or were put in the game as a background characters and developers were aware of them from Day 1. Khrome on other hand was produced by a mistake and by a different company.

They only made a figure and gave him (jokingly) a name Khrome. Entire backstory, his new appearance, his powers and so on, have been molded by the community. So technically he is also a fan creation. PCS Collectibles didn't give him that. Only the name and that figure. So why is it so important?
As I mentioned before, companies avoid using material made by community as they are in danger of being sued. But ok let's just say, NRS can just make a new background for him.

He isn't popular. He was popular back then, but once people learned his origins, the interest began to fade and Khrome in time received a bad rep, as a lot of people forcefully pushed Khrome idea. To the point it became super annoying. None of the mentioned characters above (Rain, Skarlet, Tremor or Ermac) received such hate as Khrome receives it now.

I mean, just write the name Khrome on any forum and you will be met with negativity. He is not popular. He isn't considered, just a joke. He is a bad joke. This is why I am so skeptical about him being added to MK. He has a bad reputation, and bad reputation means incoming flak from the community (for example the fact that he takes a precious slot, which could be used by someone else) and bad sales. Bad sales, means he won't turn profit and will just make the studio lose money.

And also when it comes to Khrome himself... his current design is lazy. This is not 2000, where you can get away with color swaps. MK has enough ninjas as it is, so Khrome looking like a generic Ninja ain't helping. So just the more reason, he doesn't receive much of the support. Because with the current rep he has, Khrome supporters now have to really try hard to sell the idea. Just making a petition with a picture of silver Sub zero and a massive essay won't help.

Shit I made a petition for Frost with her own f%^&king custom trailer with hand drawn frames and that barely got any attention from the fanbase. And she is pretty popular when it comes to female characters as well, but yet THAT was STILL NOT enough. So imagine what you have to do for Khrome then.

"But NRS listened to Tremor's petition, so why it won't work for Khrome?"

Tremor was already part of MK universe. MK Special Forces. People knew him. In a good way. And there was a massive hype for him too. That helped as well.

So in short. Either you guys start working on your marketing or you ain't seeing Khrome on MK. As long as MK community shows this kind of negativity to Khrome, you won't see him on a game. So you can start with fixing that.

1) Chrome is not fan made meaning NRS and WB don't need permission to make him into an actual character, PCS Collectibles are licencing partners so whatever they do can be used by WB and NRS.
2) If the Kombat Kard is not Chrome, but is another liquid metal ninja then NRS can make him into an actual character since liquid metal ninja Kombat Kard is their own creation and then the character will also be their own creation.
3) If the liquid metal ninja is Chrome in the Kombat Kard then that means NRS were allowed to use Chrome even if they weren't the one to originally create him.
4) The liquid metal ninja Kombat Kard is an April Fool's joke but that's how Rain started off, as a joke. The same thing can happen to Chrome where he later becomes an actual character.

Last edited:
1) Chrome is not fan made meaning NRS and WB don't need permission to make him into an actual character, PCS Collectibles are licencing partners so whatever they do can be used by WB and NRS.
2) If the Kombat Kard is not Chrome, but is another liquid metal ninja then NRS can make him into an actual character since liquid metal ninja Kombat Kard is their own creation and then the character will also be their own creation.
3) If the liquid metal ninja is Chrome in the Kombat Kard then that means NRS were allowed to use Chrome even if they weren't the one to originally create him.
4) The liquid metal ninja Kombat Kard is an April Fool's joke but that's how Rain started off, as a joke. The same thing can happen to Chrome where he later becomes an actual character.

Dude did you even read what I wrote?

PCS made the figure and gave the name Khrome. That's it. Community gave him personality, moves and his backstory. So majority of him was made by community (a.k.a fans)

But ok let's just say it ain't the issue.

You completely ignored the issue with his reputation. No one is gonna put a character in game which has so much negativity around him. That's bad for sales. Unless someone will change his image or something.

Oh and I see you you have successfully ignored the part about Rain as well. So let me repeat again. That joke with Rain was INTENTIONALLY created. It wasn't an accident like Khrome. Here is a quote

"Rain was originally a red herring inserted by the game developers; a character shown in the game's attract mode who did not actually exist within the game itself. A recent interview reveals that the insert was made by Ed Boon himself to intentionally trick players."

Rain and Khrome difference is like liquid and solid. Rain was created 100% by NRS. Khrome was a toy accident. Do you see my point here? Every single accidental character, be it Skarlet, Ermac or Rain, was done by NRS. 100%. Khrome was made by someone else. Doesn't matter if PCS is a licensed partner. Khrome wasn't made by NRS. From creative standpoint, this is the same as fan made character.

Also the idea that. "Well he was put into Kombat Kard, so that means they consider him for the game."

Ok. Have you considered a possibility, that maybe, JUST MAYBE. He was put in as a joke? And when I say, "as a joke" I mean, as my EX level joke. You joke about her, but you never want to see her in person again.

P.S Just gonna add this. I don't want to sound as someone who condemns the character. Everyone should have a chance. But what I am doing right now, is pointing out the current situation with this character.

Pointing out the fact, that Khrome cannot be treated the same way as Rain, Skarlet or Ermac.

Basically. If you want something to happen with this character, you will need more, than just a petition.

Rain and Khrome difference is like liquid and solid. Rain was created 100% by NRS. Khrome was a toy accident. Do you see my point here? Every single accidental character, be it Skarlet, Ermac or Rain, was done by NRS. 100%. Khrome was made by someone else. Doesn't matter if PCS is a licensed partner. Khrome wasn't made by NRS. From creative standpoint, this is the same as fan made character.

YES!
All of this, especially the bolded part.
Thank you.

Dude did you even read what I wrote?

PCS made the figure and gave the name Khrome. That's it. Community gave him personality, moves and his backstory. So majority of him was made by community (a.k.a fans)

But ok let's just say it ain't the issue.

You completely ignored the issue with his reputation. No one is gonna put a character in game which has so much negativity around him. That's bad for sales. Unless someone will change his image or something.

Oh and I see you you have successfully ignored the part about Rain as well. So let me repeat again. That joke with Rain was INTENTIONALLY created. It wasn't an accident like Khrome. Here is a quote

Also the idea that. "Well he was put into Kombat Kard, so that means they consider him for the game."

Ok. Have you considered a possibility, that maybe, JUST MAYBE. He was put in as a joke? And when I say, "as a joke" I mean, as my EX level joke. You joke about her, but you never want to see her in person again.

P.S Just gonna add this. I don't want to sound as someone who condemns the character. Everyone should have a chance. But what I am doing right now, is pointing out the current situation with this character.

Pointing out the fact, that Khrome cannot be treated the same way as Rain, Skarlet or Ermac.

Basically. If you want something to happen with this character, you will need more, than just a petition.

The name Khrome was created by PCS Collectibles who is a licenced partner to WB and NRS which means anything they do can be used by NRS and WB that's why they made the Kombat Kard because NRS can use it which they did. If the character in the Kombat Kard is not Chrome, but another liquid metal ninja then NRS can make him into an actual character since liquid metal ninja Kombat Kard is their own creation and then the character will also be their own creation. I don't care if you say Chrome is fan made, I would take PCS Collectibles word over yours or anyone else's. They are doing this since day 1, you don't do this. Even if Chrome is fanmade the liquid metal ninja in the Kombat Kard is not fan made it is made by NRS and so NRS can turn that liquid metal ninja into an actual character.

Last edited:
YES!
All of this, especially the bolded part.
Thank you.

Even if Chrome is fanmade the liquid metal ninja in the Kombat Kard is not fan made it is made by NRS and so NRS can turn that liquid metal ninja into an actual character.

Last edited:
Even if Chrome is fanmade

Which it is.

the liquid metal ninja in the Kombat Kard is not fan made it is made by NRS

Which has no name, and the name of the Kombat Kard is titled "Fooled."
For all intent and purpose, the character could also be called "Fool," according to your logic.

and so NRS can turn that liquid metal ninja into an actual character.

Which doesn't necessarily have to be called Khrome.
NRS could also choose to make Triborg canon for MK11, for all we know, and something happens where he has those liquid-metal properties.

Which it is.

Which has no name, and the name of the Kombat Kard is titled "Fooled."

Which doesn't necessarily have to be called Khrome.
NRS could also choose to make Triborg canon for MK11, for all we know, and something happens where he has those liquid-metal properties.

Well PCS Collectibles says Chrome is not fan made, and you're saying he is, unless NRS or WB comment we won't know for sure. I'd say PCS Collectibles is right though because they work with NRS and WB so they should know how these things work.

Yes the liquid metal ninja has no name and he might not even be called Chrome if he becomes an actual character. I'm fine with this, who said I wanted Chrome, I just want a liquid metal ninja.

Last edited:
I will be honest I tried to have a constructive conversation. Wanted to understand this entire Khrome concept. But I can't, because you keep ignoring my points, and keep repeating the same thing over and over again, like a broken recorder. Not to mention

I don't care if you say Chrome is fan made, I would take PCS Collectibles word over yours or anyone else's. They are doing this since day 1, you don't do this.

What is this supposed to mean? So I say that PCS only made a figure and coined the name Khrome, and PCS says that they made this figure by accident and gave him the name Khrome. Sooo... that creates a some sort of paradox. I am right and wrong at the same time, as I quote what PCS said.

But ok.. let's save time. You take PCS word over anyone else. Ok.

Here are quotes from them.

Regarding Khrome statue.

Back in January 2014, we started to receive factory samples of our 1:4 Mortal Kombat Klassic ninja statues, and apparently someone in China used metallic silver paint for Smoke instead of the correct gray from the game sprites. (They also painted the eyes Blue, not Brown, but nobody ever notices that...)

So they made by accident a different color Smoke statue.

Now please understand, this was just a mistake that Cousin Sean happened to name Khrome as a goof. Despite the rumors, the statue was never sent to Ed Boon, and we have no idea when or how Ed Boon figured out what the hell all these questions were referring to.

Now they state it here, that Khrome name was just a random thing. So PCS said it themselves here and now. They only "did" the Khrome statue and gave him the name jokingly. That's their entire involvement with Khrome "development". Everything else was done by the community. Not PCS or NRS. But by MK coomunity. FANS. As stated here

Fans that couldn't wait have made their own Khrome skin mods available for download. DeviantArtists were sharing Khrome work, some even updating his look for modern games. There are people that have paid money to artists for Khrome commissions. Khrome game stats, movesets and fatalities have been devised, along with elaborate origins and backstories. There's even a female ninja named Khromia.

So yeah. Khrome is mostly done by the fans. So that TECHNICALLY makes it a Fan made character, as PCS apart statue and name giving didn't do anything else regarding Khrome's development.

And NRS opinion about Khrome is described perfectly clear here.

Ed Boon has now made multiple public comments about Khrome. There has been more than one Tweet, and you can watch YouTube videos where he’s been asked directly on camera. Each time he has said that there are NO plans to put Khrome in DLC, or any upcoming version of the game, on any platform.

and regarding the Kombat Kard

Maybe someone really was trolling the fans, because when Netherrealm made holiday DLC, fans found a Challenge Tower with a Kombat Kard of a silver ninja who had liquid metal dripping from his hand. Of course this was taken as further proof of Khrome's coming inclusion, despite the file being named “fooled.jpg," (the holiday being April Fools Day).

Holy crap, even file itself says that they are messing around with people. What more do you need?

And what do you mean with this?

They are doing this since day 1, you don't do this.

I don't do what? Making statues? I have a 3D printer for that, as I work as an Artist who does both Environment and Character's for 7 years professionally. I really don't get you here.

If that happens with all Khrome supporters, then I am not surprised, that this character has such a bad reputation and receives so much hate.

I will be honest I tried to have a constructive conversation. Wanted to understand this entire Khrome concept. But I can't, because you keep ignoring my points, and keep repeating the same thing over and over again, like a broken recorder. Not to mention

What is this supposed to mean? So I say that PCS only made a figure and coined the name Khrome, and PCS says that they made this figure by accident and gave him the name Khrome. Sooo... that creates a some sort of paradox. I am right and wrong at the same time, as I quote what PCS said.

But ok.. let's save time. You take PCS word over anyone else. Ok.

Here are quotes from them.

Regarding Khrome statue.

So they made by accident a different color Smoke statue.

Now they state it here, that Khrome name was just a random thing. So PCS said it themselves here and now. They only "did" the Khrome statue and gave him the name jokingly. That's their entire involvement with Khrome "development". Everything else was done by the community. Not PCS or NRS. But by MK coomunity. FANS. As stated here

So yeah. Khrome is mostly done by the fans. So that TECHNICALLY makes it a Fan made character, as PCS apart statue and name giving didn't do anything else regarding Khrome's development.

And NRS opinion about Khrome is described perfectly clear here.

and regarding the Kombat Kard

Holy crap, even file itself says that they are messing around with people. What more do you need?

And what do you mean with this?

I don't do what? Making statues? I have a 3D printer for that, as I work as an Artist who does both Environment and Character's for 7 years professionally. I really don't get you here.

If that happens with all Khrome supporters, then I am not surprised, that this character has such a bad reputation and receives so much hate.

You need to read the post above yours and make your posts shorter so you can keep up with the conversation. Even if Chrome is fanmade the liquid metal ninja in the Kombat Kard is not fan made it is made by NRS and so NRS can turn that liquid metal ninja into an actual character.

Last edited:
You need to read the post above yours and make your posts shorter so you can keep up with the conversation. Even if Chrome is fanmade the liquid metal ninja in the Kombat Kard is not fan made it is made by NRS and so NRS can turn that liquid metal ninja into an actual character.

They would be shorter, if you didn't ignore points I made and kept saying same thing over and over again.

This is the line from article you keep repeating like a mantra. I don't think you understand what it means.

"Khrome was not a fan creation. We are licensing partners."

It means that Khrome concept wasn't born from some random dude on internet (so to stop people from looking for original artist/creator). It means that the name Khrome was created by an employee of PCS. Remaining part of the character was made by fans, as they built everything around this name. Done.

NRS can turn that liquid metal ninja into an actual character.

Also it is not happening. Even if they named Khrome in a different way it would still be remembered as Khrome. And as mentioned before. He has a bad rep. So it ain't happening. Liquid metal ninja is now synonym for Khrome. You can call it Metallika and he will still be remembered as Khrome, and whole reputation of Khrome will follow that character.

They would be shorter, if you didn't ignore points I made and kept saying same thing over and over again.

This is the line from article you keep repeating like a mantra. I don't think you understand what it means.

"Khrome was not a fan creation. We are licensing partners."

It means that Khrome concept wasn't born from some random dude on internet (so to stop people from looking for original artist/creator). It means that the name Khrome was created by an employee of PCS. Remaining part of the character was made by fans, as they built everything around this name. Done.

Also it is not happening. Even if they named Khrome in a different way it would still be remembered as Khrome. And as mentioned before. He has a bad rep. So it ain't happening. Liquid metal ninja is now synonym for Khrome. You can call it Metallika and he will still be remembered as Khrome, and whole reputation of Khrome will follow that character.

Why is it not happening? Rain started off as a joke and then later became an actual character. The same can happen to this liquid metal ninja. Chrome having a bad rep is only on forums. His petition has more signatures than even Noob Saibot and Jade.

Last edited:
Why is it not happening? Rain started off as a joke and then later became an actual character. The same can happen to this liquid metal ninja. Chrome having a bad rep is only on forums. His petition has more signatures than even Noob Saibot and Jade.

It feels like you're trying to test my patience...

Rain started off as a joke and then later became an actual character.

"Rain was originally a red herring inserted by the game developers; a character shown in the game's attract mode who did not actually exist within the game itself. A recent interview reveals that the insert was made by Ed Boon himself to intentionally trick players."

I am quoting my previous goddamn quote.

Chrome having a bad rep is only on forums.

Ok let's examine this statement. What kind of forums are we talking here? Obviously MK related ones. Who generally goes to MK related forums? People who play MK games. What does it mean?

MK players go to MK forums + massive negativity on forums regarding Khrome = a lot people who play MK don't like Khrome. The same people who buy MK games. If lots of people don't like that character, then it means it won't sell well. Economics 101.

Also only forums you say?

Please don’t bother Ed Boon about Khrome.

The guys at Neatherrrealm are annoyed by him.

His petition has more signatures than even Noob Saibot and Jade.

Jade petition stopped dead, as Kitana 3rd variation was revealed to be Jade's "cameo".

Noob Saibot isn't THAT popular, so I don't really see that as achievement.

And again. A simple petition won't be enough for Khrome. He doesn't have the same amount of structure as Rain, Tremor did. So it ain't happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.