NES Classic

Believe it or not, I still have my original NES I got when I was about 6 or 7. It's actually hooked up to my TV, along with 7 other consoles I've acquired over the course of 26 years. I won't have any need for the new NES Classic.

However, I must warn that if you didn't get it new at MSRP, save your money and wait for the next batch to come out. It's already being scalped.

Needless to say, scalpers piss me off, especially when they exploit the Holiday Shopping Season to practice this bullshit. It's a dick move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I missed out on most of those games, since I didn't really get into video games until the Super NES. I'm particularly interested in Kirby, Zelda, and Final Fantasy. I do have concerns though.
-only one controller included
-not expandable: doesn't support classic cartidges, no online, or external device that can be used to get more games
-possible emulation problems?

I missed out on most of those games, since I didn't really get into video games until the Super NES. I'm particularly interested in Kirby, Zelda, and Final Fantasy. I do have concerns though.
-only one controller included
-not expandable: doesn't support classic cartidges, no online, or external device that can be used to get more games
-possible emulation problems?
Valid concerns, sure, but you will at least be able to buy a second controller, and it's 30 games for 60 bucks, and unlike most retro consoles I've seen, most of the games are actually good.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Well, the length of the controller cable (or lack thereof) is turning me off from this product. I think I'll pass and instead make the occasional trip to Game Over Videogames and buy whatever used games I missed out on instead.

Valid concerns, sure, but you will at least be able to buy a second controller,

I just hope the controllers will be easy to find. This looks like a console with limited availability, as retro video games is a niche audience.

and it's 30 games for 60 bucks, and unlike most retro consoles I've seen, most of the games are actually good.

Yeah, I remember seeing this Genesis retro console that boasted 80 games....but unfortunately half of them are filler junk when there could have been more real Genesis titles instead.

Back to the NES Classic, I can't judge on the quality of the games included, but the lack of expansion seems like a missed opportunity. If I get it, it will likely be after winter holiday, so there is time to think about it.

Well, the length of the controller cable (or lack thereof) is turning me off from this product. I think I'll pass and instead make the occasional trip to Game Over Videogames and buy whatever used games I missed out on instead.

I typically sit about about 5-6 ft away from the TV, so a short cable can be deal-breaker for me. Having insufficient cable to allow leeway in a variety of setups is a lousy design.

I like Game Over, it's a great source for games that have otherwise been out of circulation. Too bad the stores are not available to those outside Texas and Washington.

Last edited:
I have that Genesis in question. It was on sale for about $30 or $40 on Black Friday last year. Good thing it comes with a cartridge port and 2 controller ports for original Genesis controllers, because there are serious emulation issues with MK1 in particular (namely the fact that you can't fight Reptile because it won't take the after-fight scores, and the fact that the game resets as soon as you reach Goro). On top of that, the signal on those wireless controllers are utter shit, so I had to buy a couple of 3rd party wired controllers to fix that problem.

Oh, and the NES Classic only has the 1990 re-release of Punch Out! that has Mr. Dream. I actually happen to have a copy of the original 1987 release that has Mike Tyson (for the record, I've only gotten as far as Soda Popinski). How I ended up with that, I don't remember, because the Mr. Dream version came out the same year I first got an NES. My dad might've gotten it at a pawn shop or something.

Did anyone actually manage to score one of these bad boys today?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It is cool for the niche audience but other than that most if not all these are just emulations. I'll just wait on the switch next year.

NINTENDO vs. SEGA?

I love the NES Classic, and there are two definitive sports games from that 'vintage era' that really mark the dividing line between the NES and the well-realized Sega Genesis --- Tecmo Bowl (Nintendo) and World Championship Soccer (Sega).

Playing with the Miami Dolphins on Tecmo Bowl and Team Italy on World Championship Soccer was like a homegrown arcade-experience dream if you were a kid. I wonder what professional athletes think of these two games...

====

PLAYERS 1 & 2: Dan Marino is a quick-gun QB and can take down the Giants!

PLAYERS 3 & 4: Italy is too deliberate for your Netherlands team!

====

Tecmo Bowl Screen Shot:

nt.jpg

World Championship Soccer Screen Shot:

sd.png

There is the SNES Classic Edition that should be released on by the end of September. At $80, it's more expensive than the NES variant, but it includes a second controller and the cords were supposed to longer.

I'm tempted to get it, since it includes a lot of games that interest me, but never got a chance to play. I just wish Nintendo wouldn't make these things so limited.