New Mortal Kombat Movie!

Dunno how I feel about it.
I mean, we got a cool 2-season web-series too, but then it faded into obscurity.
Given how vidya game movies tend to be...not so great... I don't know if to be excited or worried.
The last 2 game movies that I liked were the first MK movie and the first Silent Hill.

You know, I really want the movie to be good, and awesome, if there is one. Like everybody else.

I'd want to know more details though, before passing judgment.

considering how garbage a lot of modern movies are, just disappointment after disappointment, i'm not going get hyped up for this
in all this time there was only one good mortal kombat movie, it wasn't a webseries nor a cartoon, and didn't have "annihilation" in it

Because of the time travel may have MKX characters in it such as Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, and King Jin, and etc.

I definitely want Eliza Dushku or Nicole Scherzinger as Jade.

Bai Ling or Kelly Hu as D'Vorah.

Michelle Rodriguez as Tanya.

Dunno how I feel about it.
I mean, we got a cool 2-season web-series too, but then it faded into obscurity.
Given how vidya game movies tend to be...not so great... I don't know if to be excited or worried.
The last 2 game movies that I liked were the first MK movie and the first Silent Hill.

Video game movies are usually shit compared to the actual games...like the Resident Evil movies, don't even get me started on those. =/...

Silent Hill was Ok, but of course the game was 100x better.

Video game movies are usually shit compared to the actual games...like the Resident Evil movies, don't even get me started on those. =/...

Silent Hill was Ok, but of course the game was 100x better.

Which is why I don't know how I truly feel about another MK movie.
Part of me is like "Cool," and part of me is like "It will probably be a terrible, direct-to-DVD / BluRay movie."

Anyone have hopes for the new Assassin's Creed movie coming out? Because I sure don't.

there are so many videogames i would like to see made into movies but they would end up sucking. one example is Doom. when i was a kid i always thought it would be so cool if they made a Doom movie. and what did we get when it did happen? a shitty half assed movie. probably half of the people involved in making the movie didnt even know anything about Doom.

I'm one of those people who recognize the cheesiness and how bad these movies are, and I still enjoy watching them time and time again. DOA: Dead or Alive movie is one of my favourites, and yes, it is utterly bad! But I unironically enjoy watching it! XD

As long the fight scenes are cool, the costumes well-made and the story is somewhat good, then I'm in.

I liked the first season of the MK web-series, because it had all these small short stories about a few characters and their pasts. It was a really cool idea. But the second season was just bad and didn't match up with the first season very well... not to mention that Ermac...

So no, I don't expect this new movie to be a huge success or to be a masterpiece. But as long they can make it enjoyable, then I'm all for it.

Lowkey, I think the best director to make this movie would definitely be Zach Snyder. Seriously, a Mortal Kombat Movie would need everything he provides in most of his recent movies.
-Extremely Dark Story (though Johnny would still need some humor)
-Non-Linear Story (It's a Tournament so the story won't have to be linear)
-Major Character Deaths with Zero craps given
-Iconic Visuals (Imagine Zach Snyder's Shot of Scorpion killing Subzero or Lui Kang's Shot of defeating Goro and Shang Tsung)
-Amazing Fight Scenes (Did you Not see that fight scenes in MoS and BvS? Especially Batman's Warehouse fight)
-Unique Twist to some Characters (and it's impossible to ruin any of the characters unless he pulls an Ermac or MK Annihilation)
-Extremely Long. This Movie NEEDS 2.5 hours.

Now I'm still ok with James Wan though, since he's hard at work on the next Aquaman movie.

I really doubt time travel will be a part of it and believe that it'll be a straight up reboot of the franchise, if not some kind of continuation of the MK Legacy series (which already feels choppy to me with the constant recasting and very short storylines).

I hope it starts from scratch and that it's a good one!

I actually saw THIS over at MKO's homepage too from James Wan in a very recent interview.

"The key here is to try and do it right. I don't want to rush into it. So right now, we're just trying to take our time to make sure it's heading in the right direction. I think that's more important than trying to rush through it and pump up something that no one likes."

"I love the characters. I think they're such colorful characters. It's such an amazing take on, basically, Enter the Dragon. It's that fantasy version, the video game version, of Enter the Dragon. And in doing so, they ended up creating such interesting characters and I think that is such a cool world to explore. This really mythical, bigger world that lives on another dimension on top of ours. I think that's really fun to play with and so we'll see."

Did you guys hear about the James Wan MK movie? It seemed to be trapped in development hell back in December but there are good news. The script is written and they will probably start shooting this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xglOrJTmmJM&t=87s

What do you think? James Wan stated that he would only be ready to work if they had enough resources and given that WB is holding the rights I think it's not impossible to produce a proper MK movie. But of course it can't be PG13. Greg Russo who has written the script seems to be a Mortal Kombat fan and I doubt that the rumors about this new main character, that was created for the movie, are true.

The most legit thing is to reboot the whole franchise starting with the story of MK1, maybe giving flashbacks to certain characters. I would like to see actors with real fighting skills too. The best casting for Liu Kang and Kung Lao would be Rain from Ninja Assassin and the guy from Raid respectively. Ninjas can be played by real fighters.

If this movie is going to happen, I don't think it's going to be Direct-to-DVD. It has to hit the theatres. And right now it is a good opportunity since MK is reliving the highest peak of popularity since the 90s.

What do you think? Are you looking forward to seeing it? Which actors would you cast?

I think we'll all agree that it should have more Outworld or Edenia characters, not humans.

Liu Kang&co have some fanbase, but everybody loves the Outworld feeling.

Not sure if they can make this as big as the Warcraft movie, but that is what they should go for. Have the entire film focused on the Outworld throne fight. Reiko&Mileena vs Kotal Kahn civil war.

First tournament has been done too much (movie, cartoon, series etc).

Raiden, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya are already established. Are we gonna watch another origin story of Sonya chasing Kano and Johnny Cage wanting to prove himself?? It's boring. Instead try some of the storylines from the 3D era, those were magnificent writing

Raiden, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya are already established. Are we gonna watch another origin story of Sonya chasing Kano and Johnny Cage wanting to prove himself?? It's boring. Instead try some of the storylines from the 3D era, those were magnificent writing

I thought in order to reboot it they would need to start from the beginning... I don't now what's the best strategy here concerning casual moviegoers. The first movie of a reboot needs to be successful in order to continue and the first tournament has never been properly adapted. I loved the 1995 movie as a kid but it is very different from canon and it takes too long for the actual tournament getting started. They could start right away with the tournament telling backstory very briefly in flashbacks. Maybe even discontinuing the plot with some Sub-Zero and Scorpion backstory with Scorpion coming back as spectre killing Sub-Zero after their fight in the end of the movie. Canon tells Scorpion has killed Bi Han after the tournament, doesn't it?

The first movie of a reboot needs to be successful in order to continue and the first tournament has never been properly adapted.

I think it was done just fine. It was done in the '95 movie, in the "Journey...." cartoon, in Legacy, in Shaolin Monks etc. You can;t always have it 100% canon, but it was pretty ok in the movie.

They should start now from Shinnok's War, especially as the game are already at the next generation. But I still think the best story to adapt would be the Outworld Civil War one.