Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

  1. #1
    Kombatant mattteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    38
    Posts
    233
    Thanked: 32
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    Does it come only from the Legacy tv series cluster ? They are almost entirely wrong in that tv series. That's the only portrayal I know of that represents Kitana as a baby when Kahn invaded.

    In Sindel's original ending for MK3, Kitana is shown as a little girl (10-12 years old ) during Kahn's invasion of Edenia.

    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/queensindel/sindel7.html

    More evidence that she was not an infant comes from Rain's ending in MK Trilogy, which implies a connection between him and Kitana (unknown if friendly, romantic or something else) before the Edenian War.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0oBq4OMGlQ

    Kitana was portrayed as a teenager during Shao Kahn's assault on Edenia in the non-canon Defenders of the Realm series, and as much as I'd hate that animated series, that's the best representation of Kitana in the Edenian days

    http://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/C/MK/13/13.html

    and similarly in the MK Conquest series, where she reveals that her father had trusted her with Edenia's essence before Shao Kahn took the Capital.

    http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Dara_Tomanovich


    In the canon games, Kitana recognizes her mother Sindel both in Mortal Kombat 3 and in the Mortal Kombat reboot from 2011. She has memories about her mother. She could not have had these if her mother had killed herself when she was an infant.
    She also recognizes her mother in the non-canon movie.

    The possible answer for her submission to Shao Kahn was given in the non-canon adventure game “Shaolin Monks”, where she was placed under Kahn's sorcery mind spell to obey him and not remember her past. That explanation was not well received by the fans back then, but it certainly seems like a good one after some years have passed. It could also explain why in the 2011 reboot she has absolutely no recollection of growing up with another Mileena clone, though Jade seems to know such clones exist and attempts to stop Kitana from venturing into Shang Tsung's Flesh Pits where a new Mileena is born. This explanation even works well with the non-canon ending of Mortal Kombat Conquest where Kahn punished her for her failed rebellion.

    Whichever explanation you accept (that she knew all along who her parents were or that she was under a spell to forget her origins) she certainly wasn't an infant when Edenia was attacked. And considering that the Edenian Resistance and Protector God Argus held Shao Kahn for quite some years after the loss ot the 10th tournament (enough for Rain to grow from an orphan boy to a young warrior), she may have grown up into a beautiful young woman during the War.

    But why is this convention, that she was an infant? I've seen this stated many times (but only in the last few years). Is it all because of that awful Legacy episode with the unmasked Kahn and the orcs from TLOTR?

    Sorry if I posted this multiple times.

  2. #2
    Shaolin Monk kadell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The States (South)
    Posts
    1,164
    PSN
    therealkadell
    Thanked: 172
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    I think the reason so many people saw her as an infant (though she could've been a pre-teen too) is because of Rain. Rain was like what, 16 to mid-twenties in his MK9 bio video when he joined Kahn? Then you have Tanya who implies that she is younger than Kitana (when Kitana speaks on how she probably killed Tanya's family) and she easily went from good to bad without switching back to good. Mileena wasn't born with Kitana as shown in MK9. The spell thing was specific to Shaolin Monks, but it only occurred around the MK2 section. Also, due to Mileena being shown to her upfront rather than behind her back like in MK9, she had no reason to get mad though she still kept suspicion until she gained the facts of it all in MK2.

    Her mother was still alive for some time after the Edenian Invasion, so she had plenty of time to grow up seeing Sindel and Shao Kahn together. In MK9 she never found out who her real father was, she only knew that Shao Kahn tried to replace her with Mileena and probably only believes he disowned her. She only knew about her real father in the original timeline because Sindel turned good again and told her about him. Last but not least, Sindel died in Earthrealm. And Kahn didn't try to invade Earthrealm for a while until after Sindel's death. So Kitana had plenty of time to see her mother Sindel post-Invasion being married to Shao Kahn. So it's definitely possible that she was an infant who grew up with Kahn and her mother and chose the side of Good rather than bad.

  3. #3
    Kombatant mattteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    38
    Posts
    233
    Thanked: 32
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by kadell View Post
    So it's definitely possible that she was an infant who grew up with Kahn and her mother and chose the side of Good rather than bad.
    But that's the thing: That's not the original story. She wasn't an infant in the original story. Why change that? It's only best that she was around during the war. If we ever get to see that story (in comic of games) it would be nice to watch Kitana as a young girl training and ultimately failing to make a difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by kadell View Post
    Tanya who implies that she is younger than Kitana (when Kitana speaks on how she probably killed Tanya's family)
    Whoaaa, wait. what? Did I miss that? Where does this come from?

  4. #4
    Robot Rock BBBLP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Thug Mansion
    Age
    29
    Posts
    19,911
    Xbox Live
    Tap Water Champ
    Thanked: 4395
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattteo View Post
    It could also explain why in the 2011 reboot she has absolutely no recollection of growing up with another Mileena clone, though Jade seems to know such clones exist and attempts to stop Kitana from venturing into Shang Tsung's Flesh Pits where a new Mileena is born.
    Pretty sure that was a retcon. Mileena wasn't supposed to be Kitana's "sister" in the reboot, she was meant to be her replacement.

  5. #5
    Defender of EarthRealm theincubuslord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,095
    Thanked: 1480
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    First, while acting as Shao Kahn's assassin, Kitana had no recollection of Edenia and grew up thinking Shao Kahn was her father. She might not have been a baby, but she definately wasn't old enough to remember a time before Shao Kahn had merged Edenia with Outworld. She only learns about her true heritage and Edenia shortly before MK2 (unless she's gone years just waiting for the opportune moment to rebel against Shao Kahn).

    As for Mileena, in the original timeline, Mileena was created because Shao Kahn was afraid that Kitana would grow up and rebel against him, so he ordered Shang Tsung to make a loyal clone of her. Because Tarkatans are known for their fierce loyalty, Shang Tsung mixed Kitana's DNA with a Tarkatans in hopes of making a 100% loyal clone of her... which then became Mileena. And because Mileena was seen as a "flawed clone", Shao Kahn instead introduced Mileena as Kitana's twin sister, keeping both of them. Kitana also thought Mileena was her twin sister, so again, she couldn't have been old enough to think otherwise.

  6. #6
    Hollywood Superstar NathanCorsini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Age
    26
    Posts
    987
    PSN
    NathanCorsini
    Thanked: 225
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    This says it all... Shao Kahn kept her under his spell, so, she did not remember all of her past.


  7. #7
    Kombatant mattteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    38
    Posts
    233
    Thanked: 32
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by NathanCorsini View Post
    This says it all... Shao Kahn kept her under his spell, so, she did not remember all of her past.

    Yeah, this is the original creator, John Tobias's vision for a young adult Kitana in the time of the Edenian War.
    It's a bad silly comic and it provides even more plot holes (Shang Tsung and the LinKuei existing 10.000 years in the past is not possible), but at least it shows that they intended to have Kitana as a teenager/ young adult.

    The Legacy series, which depicts Kitana as a baby is also NON-CANON. This is what we have to remember. And it also shows Shang Tsung, waaaay before he was born. Plus a bunch of orcs from Middle Earth who are supposed to be tarkatans

  8. #8
    Kombatant mattteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    38
    Posts
    233
    Thanked: 32
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by theincubuslord View Post
    First, while acting as Shao Kahn's assassin, Kitana had no recollection of Edenia and grew up thinking Shao Kahn was her father. She might not have been a baby, but she definately wasn't old enough to remember a time before Shao Kahn had merged Edenia with Outworld. She only learns about her true heritage and Edenia shortly before MK2 (unless she's gone years just waiting for the opportune moment to rebel against Shao Kahn).

    As for Mileena, in the original timeline, Mileena was created because Shao Kahn was afraid that Kitana would grow up and rebel against him, so he ordered Shang Tsung to make a loyal clone of her. Because Tarkatans are known for their fierce loyalty, Shang Tsung mixed Kitana's DNA with a Tarkatans in hopes of making a 100% loyal clone of her... which then became Mileena. And because Mileena was seen as a "flawed clone", Shao Kahn instead introduced Mileena as Kitana's twin sister, keeping both of them. Kitana also thought Mileena was her twin sister, so again, she couldn't have been old enough to think otherwise.

    Don't forget about Mileena's ending in MKX.
    It shows that there have been other Mileena's before, an army of them actually.

    "She might not have been a baby, but she definitely wasn't old enough to remember a time before Shao Kahn had merged Edenia with Outworld."
    WHY is that actually?

    Let's disregard non-canon sources, but at least the Shaolin Monks game was created by the same team of MK fighting games creators. They MEANT to have Kitana's mind controlled by Shao Kahn. I mean, the guy can steal souls and kill billions of people at once, I'm pretty sure he could mind control Kitana.

    If Kitana had found out other times about her past? I mean, 10.000 years is a long time. Maybe once every 2-300 years, Kitana finds out about her true past and leads an uprising against Shao Kahn (as shown in Mortal Kombat Conquest- where Kahn ultimately wins the chess game with Raiden). Instead of killing her, Shao Kahn, brainwashes Kitana and puts her under a spell.
    He does love her in his twisted way, he finds it difficult to execute her.

    What if Kitana had indeed found out and murdered the Mileena she grew up with? That's why Shao Kahn would have brainwashed her and congratulated Shang Tsung that he created another one in the story mode of MK9.
    This would explain the inconsistencies between the original timeline and the new timeline.
    After all, the writers did say that everything that happened before in the canon is still canon, with the minor inconsistencies that MK9 generated.

  9. #9
    Defender of EarthRealm theincubuslord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,095
    Thanked: 1480
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattteo View Post
    Don't forget about Mileena's ending in MKX.
    It shows that there have been other Mileena's before, an army of them actually.

    "She might not have been a baby, but she definitely wasn't old enough to remember a time before Shao Kahn had merged Edenia with Outworld."
    WHY is that actually?

    Let's disregard non-canon sources, but at least the Shaolin Monks game was created by the same team of MK fighting games creators. They MEANT to have Kitana's mind controlled by Shao Kahn. I mean, the guy can steal souls and kill billions of people at once, I'm pretty sure he could mind control Kitana.

    If Kitana had found out other times about her past? I mean, 10.000 years is a long time. Maybe once every 2-300 years, Kitana finds out about her true past and leads an uprising against Shao Kahn (as shown in Mortal Kombat Conquest- where Kahn ultimately wins the chess game with Raiden). Instead of killing her, Shao Kahn, brainwashes Kitana and puts her under a spell.
    He does love her in his twisted way, he finds it difficult to execute her.

    What if Kitana had indeed found out and murdered the Mileena she grew up with? That's why Shao Kahn would have brainwashed her and congratulated Shang Tsung that he created another one in the story mode of MK9.
    This would explain the inconsistencies between the original timeline and the new timeline.
    After all, the writers did say that everything that happened before in the canon is still canon, with the minor inconsistencies that MK9 generated.
    I spoke of the original timeline. MKX is part of the new timeline, hence why I did not mention it. Also, the arcade endings are not necessarily canon, so Mileena having tons of clones shouldn't be considered such unless shown otherwise in future games. In MK9, which is the new timeline, first time Mileena is introduced to Kitana is in the Story Mode which is during the second tournament in Outworld. That is the new timeline's canon. There was no Mileena in the past and there was no brainwashing spell mentioned, so therefore they are not canon.

    As for Shaolin Monks, ALOT of things happened in that game that are non-canon, so I wouldn't consider anything unique to that game as something that could be canon, again, unless proven otherwise in the main series. Kitana could be brainwashed under a spell, yes, but they never mentioned anything like that in the main series, so it shouldn't be considered canon.

    It's cool to speculate, but whatever theories people make up are just that... theories. Non-canon. Until proven otherwise. Just remember that.

    One last thing that should be considered. Yes, Kitana remember her mother. But no where does it say that Sindel killed herself while Kitana was still a baby. Sindel could have lived for several years while under Shao Kahn's rule before she decided to kill herself, not being able to take it anymore. So Kitana could have had a part of her childhood with her mother before that happened. We don't know though, but it is something to consider. Just a theory. ^^

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to theincubuslord For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    Kombatant mattteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    38
    Posts
    233
    Thanked: 32
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Why is it commonly accepted that Kitana was a baby when Kahn invaded? Wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by kadell View Post
    I think the reason so many people saw her as an infant (though she could've been a pre-teen too) is because of Rain. Rain was like what, 16 to mid-twenties in his MK9 bio video when he joined Kahn?
    I don't understand. Why does Rain being 16 to mid-twenties at the end of the Edenian War relate to Kitana being an infant?

    Quote Originally Posted by kadell View Post
    Then you have Tanya who implies that she is younger than Kitana (when Kitana speaks on how she probably killed Tanya's family)
    I found that dialogue in MKX. Tanya says "My parents respected you,Kitana" and Kitana says "Not enough to sway/stay my hand".
    It absolutely never once mentions an age difference between the girls. Tanya's father was an ambassador and he probably respected Kitana as a Princess before Shao Kahn's invasion. He saw her as the next legitimate ruler. IF and WHEN Kitana killed or imprisoned Tanya's parents is unknown. If she did it recently, after becoming a demon or if she did it in the past does not mean that she wasn't a good adolescent girl before Shao Kahn took her and worked his tricks on her.

    Kitana could be older than Tanya, Tanya could be older than Kitana, we don't know. Heck, they could even be of the same age. I find it interesting that very old and powerful Edenian figures (Argus and Delia, King Jerrod), who have lived for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years, had children ONLY in the final days of Edenia (well, Taven was a little older, but Daegon was young by the time Shao Kahn attacked and Kitana was young too). Species reproduce faster the more the danger it is for them to die. Butterflies reproduce really fast, while humans only have children after decades since being born. These powerful entities must have felt somehow that the end was approaching, they had a feeling in their guts of the end of days. Delia even had prophesies. And, maybe not even desiring it, they had children.

    Plus, the Edenian War may have lasted for a few years. We know from what Taven says that his family and the dragons managed to push Shao Kahn back, that there was an Edenian Resistence and that their realm did not fall until the death of Argus, despite the invasion and War having been going on for some time.

    Kitana might have grown up during that War. A prequel miniseries would be awesome, with Kitana as a main character growing up, training to fight and wanting to be part of the War.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 11:45 PM
  2. Accepted challenge - was suddenly in que for KotH?
    By Macros in forum Online Multiplayer
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
  3. MK Tag Team Fatality: Jade & Kitana Vs. Shao Kahn & Reiko
    By GrandMasterTRS in forum Mortal Kombat Fan Artwork
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 11:11 PM
  4. IGN's Legends of Kombat: Kitana, Scorpion, Shao Kahn
    By Jeff Greeson in forum TRMK's Front Page News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 10:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •