MKX Sucks

People are really complaining about MKX being too brutal and gruesome? That only means they're doing their jobs right.

The ONLY thing I'm disappointed in actually has nothing to do with the game, but myself. Before release I came here every single day, checked for new info all the damn time (Videos, rumors, pictures, etc.) to the point where I burned myself out on MKX... before I even played the game. Its tough to come back to sometimes because I feel like i've been playing it for a year already, even though it came out in April. The DLC definitely helps though.

Same here, sadly. Since I was distracted with MKX I wasn't looking up any other upcoming games at all. Made Batman: Arkham Knight a better experience. I still do a few towers here and there though.

I think people are too harsh on the X story mode.

It is MILES better than any other fighting game story mode and also much better than MK 2011's. MK 2011 story mode was very cartoony and many characters were basically comic relieves. Compare Johnny Cage and Mileena's potrayals in both games. Not to mention many more fights in MK 2011 felt rather unecessary or simply plain stupid. Yes, it had the nostalgia factor, but was very cringe-worthy.

The problem with X story mode was that it felt incomplete. It is unbelievable they didn't add Kenshi and Mileena's chapters. It is lacking at least 5 parts for sure. Fujin and Li Mei should have been characters with those awesome re-designs. More focus on the Outworld War. Yet, it was a good story mode. The characters felt real. Their struggles and issues were more believable. Johnny Cage FINALLY felt like someone whom you could actually care about. To me, I have no doubts: they did a good job here but they could have done better.

They took the excellent story building from the comic and crapped all over it. The characters that got interesting back stories and introductions felt completely underwhelming in the final game. Why didn't it show more of Scorpion's and Takeda's relationship? What's the deal with Ferra/Torr and Erron Black? Why did NRS sh*t all over Kotal Kahn? Why couldn't Raiden chill the out for a few minutes? Why didn't Liu Kang have more screen time?

While the gameplay is excellent and Fatalities brutal, the story has been incredibly stupid. I know its a fighting game but come on, NRS needs to hire better writers.

Actually, I don't think have a severe bias towards female characters, I just wish the male/female ratio would approach a more realistic 50/50 (I would be even super happy with a 60/40).

I guess objectively speaking Xrays do not take too long, but after having seen Scorpion's "double spear" Xray for the n'th time (that tells you something about my skills LOL) it appears to take an eternity.

Haha, I knew my remark about fatalities would draw the ire of most/all fans (and is not the topic of this thread), and it is certainly not an important issue to me, but certain fatalities I feel uncomfortable pulling off if my girlfriend is in the room...

I just timed Scorpion's X-Ray. It takes about 10 seconds from when it's activated and then to back where you can control him again. I'd be okay with it if it were a little more quick, but it's not that bad how it is. Might just seem longer when you're in a match.

Your point being?
Just because Street Fighter doesn't have a story mode, MK shouldn't as well?

Mortal Kombat HAS been praised for doing things no other fighting game does, and that's much of its appeal. If you don't care, then don't play it, I really don't see why you're whinning about this.

I am glad NRS has fun with Mortal Kombat and tries to spice it up a bit with various different modes...

No, my point isn't that it shouldn't have a story. If you'd read the whole post and consider it all as one thought, you'd realize that I meant that they could've taken the time they spent developing a silly story and invested it in making the game look better, making the online better and making the core gameplay better.

And the idea behind this thread isn't whining. It's to call out the mediocrity of this game. As I said, MK9 was excellent, so I was hoping they could continue that momentum with this game. Let's go back in time a bit. After UMK3, they started focusing more on the story and the gameplay suffered. With the subsequent releases of Deadly Alliance, Armageddon, etc., they kept making story-intensive fighting games that are boring to actually play. Here we see this trend again, and being that I'm a big fan of the series, I'd like to see the game's core integrity be kept in tact.

The various modes are fine, but when they put waste their time making a "deep" story while allowing the gameplay to suffer, I can't help but call them out. Especially with games being as expensive as they are. I spent $100 on a game I dislike, and since I can't return it, I cannot recoup that money, which is BS.

I thought MK's story was overrated to begin with. No fancy cinematic cutscenes are going to save the sleep-inducing script.

As a game, there are couple of things I complained about but, overall I was happy enough with it to make it worth the money.

Last edited:
First, the graphics seem really unpolished. If there's rain in a scene, everything gets this sheen that looks like oil rather than wet. There's also no in-game lighting effects (from special moves and the like) that could've been done on a next-gen system. (I'm playing on PS4.) This is possibly something that got neglected because this is a cross-gen game, but I dunno. I could easily overlook this, but considering the other problems with it, I feel it's something worth noting.
I was very surprised by the graphics in this game, I thought they were beautiful in MKX, I know a lot of next gen games that have awful graphics.
Next, the story mode is terrible. I'm a tad biased because (as I've said on many occasions) I don't play fighting games for the story, but I was willing to make an exception. However, this shit is straight up overwhelming. I only played the story mode for about an hour before getting bored. I kept played, hoping to just get it over with so I could unlock stuff in the Krypt, but two, frustrating hours later, I gave up because it's both drawn out and just plain cheesy.
The story is alright. There still are a lot of things unexplained like, What happened to Jade, Noob Saibot and Fujin. But if you replay it, it's a lot more fun.
Finally, the kombat is boring. I HATE the variations. I hated them in MK4 and the other games that employed them, too
I love variations so much in MKX and I hope they return in MK11. But I agree they were stupid in the 3D era.
The fighting also seems slow compared to MK9... like they're fighting in mud or Jello.
Wrong. This game is so much faster than MK9. I thought MK9 was super slow and I didn't like it.
I don't really care for how easy they (Fatalities) are to pull off. I dislike the Fatality practice, too. Fatalities are supposed to be a way to show off, and giving time to practice them without earning the victory takes part of that away. (I didn't like it in MK9, either.
The fatalities are too easy to pull off. I like the fatality practice. I think of it more as a way to watch the fatalities not practice them.

MKX is the best MK in history, that is all. OP is very nostalgic as I see, MK9 isn't that great, it doesn't look good (I can't even play it since I saw how Injustice looks), and MKX looks beautiful. The gameplay is also very fluid, very challenging, and it encourages to improve. I don't know if I'm the only one who enjoys good online matches, but I have no complain at it. I sucked at the game at first, but I gave it the time to improve my game, I even found a new favorite (Mileena).

The roster, in my opinion, has no flaws. It's impossible it can satisfy everyone, but in general terms, it has perfect balance between old and new. The new characters I found them great, good design, good gameplay, good personality. The only problem with them is that NRS did an awful job at promoting them.

The story mode isn't good, it's true. One can feel it is incomplete, rushed out, and the new characters were the ones that suffered it the most. But don't take MK9's as it was better. That one got fighting useless battles for like 70% of the game. MKX was better at that. But as I said, it wasn't good neither.

But, at the end, I was and I am very satisfied with the game, and I think it's the best MK, and the best fighting game ever.

MKX doesn't suck and it's pretty much the best MK ever made but it didn't cause any major impact on me, that I would want to play it daily or even once in a week. In fact, according to Steam, last time I played it, was 3rd of July and even then I played only 10 minutes because I checked if new patch fixed anything. There's several points why this has happened to me:

The first thing is of course the treatment of PC port. When the game was released, I thought my wait would be finally over and I could play sequel to game that hooked me awfully lot. But no. First of all you couldn't download the game and then you needed to face how extremely bad port actually was. Missing / delayed content compared to console versions, tons of freezing and lag issues and absolutely zero communication and info from High Voltage. The list just goes on. Game still doesn't work that properly but even if it did, there's small chance I will return to play actively. I've never even tried online matches and that's bad, considering how I played MK9 even though it had same bad netcode as MKX has. Hell, I was excited and ready to buy Kombat Packs etc. in full price but now I have zero interest to do so. Especially since half of Tanya's moveset is like rip-off of Dhalsim's, Decapre's, Oni's and Cammy's moves from the SF series. Jason looks cool though.

Second reason is bland and boring tournament scene. I personally just don't find the hype from competetive MKX when compared to Tekken or especially Street Fighter. Player base is dominated by USA, players themselves aren't interesting and characters' gameplay potential to vary in certain match-ups is small. Final nail in the coffin is NRS' policy to balance game too frequently, therefore causing situations where experimenting new tech is pointless. It's just shame that I feel disappointment when it's informed that MKX is being streamed next.

The last reason is current / Upcoming games. At the moment, USFIV, Dirty Bomb and Dark Souls rob all the time I have to play ( especially because they actually work properly). When there's also upcoming games like Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3 and Street Fighter 5 in the horizon, MKX's chances are low.

Overall, I think I'll play occasionally and lurk around lovely Trmk but I believe I'll never gain as many hours as I did with MK9.

TL;DR: Game's decent but its problems on PC side, missed potential and game "just" being decent are the reasons why my motivation to play MKX is very low at the moment.

The only thing that bothers me about this game is the block button and the abysmal amount of stages.

[MENTION=18033]FobinenHege[/MENTION]

Tekken is the most boring fighting game to watch, IMO. MKX tournament have been pretty hype. Check out the top 8 of The Common Wealth. That sh#t was bonkers!

The worst part is that MKX doesn't suck as a game (ok story is average and rushed), but it was a garbage from technical point (I am on PC). MKX had opportunity to be a big bomb, yet now most likely most of the people will remember it as an "ok" game with the crappiest launch on pc to date (Hell even Unity wasn't that bad, you could at least play it).

Also crappy netcode doesn't help either. PC version not being fixed until now is also crap (not talking about the lucky ones. Good for you that it works perfectly. I still have issues (PC way above recommended specs)).

In short MKX is another game that was hyped to no end, but didn't deliver half of it, with many PC users saying "f$%k it" after such insult.

The best Mortal Kombat to date in terms of gameplay, graphics and character designs, imo. The roster is lacking though, and the Story Mode as well. It's not perfect, but it is still the best in the series so far, again imo.

I like reading everyone's thoughts it's really interesting how we all view it. I feel the variations water down the game, the stages overall are pretty lacking, changing the run mechanic from a button to the block + dash is horrible, some special moves feel really slow to start up and it kills combo creativity. The story mode wasn't as good as MK9 for me. I LOATH the costume imbalance but this seems to be there new thing.

Visually it is good looking, character design is good, a lot of the production aspects are really great as well.

MKX had opportunity to be a big bomb, yet now most likely most of the people will remember it as an "ok" game with the crappiest launch on pc to date (Hell even Unity wasn't that bad, you could at least play it).

I disagree with basically your entire post, but I have to point this out, have you been living under a rock? Lol and I mean that in a non-insulting way. Batman Arkham Knight definitely beats MKX when it comes to shitty launches on the PC. The game had to be pulled off Steam for crying out loud, and last I heard it won't even be fixed until September

I disagree with basically your entire post, but I have to point this out, have you been living under a rock? Lol and I mean that in a non-insulting way. Batman Arkham Knight definitely beats MKX when it comes to shitty launches on the PC. The game had to be pulled off Steam for crying out loud, and last I heard it won't even be fixed until September

Ah yeah totally forgot about that one. Hmm... then let me fix my statement. MKX had the worst launch for me personally. Batman while had crashes, I could at least finish it. (had 3 crashes in total). Also lower framerate. But was able to actually finish game 100% without a lot of headache.

MKX on other hand, couldn't beat story mode for a week as I would crash on chapter 2 every time (until it was finally updated). Certain stages felt like looking at picture album. Online mode would crash by just trying to get into it. Oh and Krypt... :D that one was gold. Oh and memory leaks. Oh and after one of the first updates, stages like Dark Forest looked like something from that Google Deep Dream. If anything MKX should have been taken out from Steam due insane technical malfunctions. Also at least your progress in Batman didn't disappear.
And the game is still not fixed completely.

Yes Batman technical quality sucked too, but I could play the game. So in this case MKX still wins for me. As for disagreeing with the remaining post of mine. Ok cool. That was my personal experience and opinion about the game.

I disagree that Arkham Knight would be the worst. At least WB had finally balls to do something when the pulled AK out of Steam. MKX on PC was and is still treated like crap, communication was developers to PC players has been little to none etc. Arkham Knight's PC version got public apologizy, public promise (and humiliation for them) to make port good and even get some goodies like FPS lock removal etc. that was retarded to begin with. MKX has 30 fps x-rays as retarded choice but they are not going anywhere, not on any platform.

I would've gladly waited till July or even to August - September to play the game that actually freaking works.

The lack of stages really makes Single Fight (the mode I mainly use) pretty repetitive. I feel like I did get burned out pre-MKX release, and I'm not enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed MK9. I can see that might be the case with many people on this forum because we're already running out of things to talk about.

I hope NRS keeps the DLC running even after MKX has been out for a year. Maybe release a DLC continuation of story mode. Just a few chapters after MKX (Liu Kang's, Kitana's, Kung Lao's).