MKX Sucks

Eks

I can't be the only one that feels this way. MKX doesn't have the same magic as MK9 did.

First, the graphics seem really unpolished. If there's rain in a scene, everything gets this sheen that looks like oil rather than wet. There's also no in-game lighting effects (from special moves and the like) that could've been done on a next-gen system. (I'm playing on PS4.) This is possibly something that got neglected because this is a cross-gen game, but I dunno. I could easily overlook this, but considering the other problems with it, I feel it's something worth noting.

Next, the story mode is terrible. I'm a tad biased because (as I've said on many occasions) I don't play fighting games for the story, but I was willing to make an exception. However, this shit is straight up overwhelming. I only played the story mode for about an hour before getting bored. I kept played, hoping to just get it over with so I could unlock stuff in the Krypt, but two, frustrating hours later, I gave up because it's both drawn out and just plain cheesy.

Finally, the kombat is boring. I HATE the variations. I hated them in MK4 and the other games that employed them, too. It just makes shit confusing and inserts artificial limits on the characters. The fighting also seems slow compared to MK9... like they're fighting in mud or Jello.

I will say that the Fatalities are excellent. Visceral. The X-Rays are great, too. I don't really care for how easy they (Fatalities) are to pull off. I dislike the Fatality practice, too. Fatalities are supposed to be a way to show off, and giving time to practice them without earning the victory takes part of that away. (I didn't like it in MK9, either.)

I think, after making MK9, then Injustice, Boonco ran out of steam, but, just like Midway, WB Games wanted them to push out a game to make money. Then again, perhaps I just wanted what MK9 provided, so playing this game is like eating more when you're already too full.

Is it the best? Not in my opinion. But it doesn't suck.

In terms of gameplay, I think MK9 and MKX are equal. MK9 is definitely not better, but not worse.

Story mode isn't that great, I'll admit that.

I personally like the variations, although they were lazy with some of them. And this game is much faster than MK9 although I don't think it's a good thing.

I love MKX, but it died fast, unfortuanately.

I feel like so many ppl dislike MKX because their favorite characters are not in the game and because there are many new characters, i am not saying that's the case here, but so many ppl are like: "My favorite character is not in the game, i hate it" or "I hate these new characters, this is not a MK game..." etc.

I agree with some thing you said like about the Story, i think that it sucks i talked about that too before, also once you finish Story and towers there's nothing else to do except for the online. And online... well playing against some ppl can be really frustrating! Plus it's not really great on PC. New towers are just repetitive and boring to me.

I disagree about Fatalities and X-Rays to me most of them are bad, and it's same stuff again, and again. They get so boring, when i finish MP match and opponent performs Fatality on me i seriously want to leave, i can't stand them.

Also most of the characters are boring too, i expected so much more from some characters, and variations while not being exactly bad, add almost nothing to the gameplay, most of the ppl stick to the one variation anyway.
I like D'Vorah as a character a lot, only character i'm playing with is D'Vorah, she NEVER gets boring to me, if she wasn't in the game... i am not sure what would i do.

None of my favourite characters from MK9 are in MKX, and - aside from Shinnok - none of the most-anticipated characters I was expecting to be in MKX and play as actually are, so in terms of character selection I'm very disappointed. I think the roster size is fine given the quality of the characters and the variation system, but it's too 'safe' and I just don't have any interest in many of them. I also think that Goro should have been in the Kombat Pack, or at least a separate off-disc DLC, and someone else been on the default roster in his place. There are other characters who could have been made the klassic tower sub-boss, and he has no relation to the story mode anyway.

I agree with some of the OP's points, although in general the story is not among them. I actually really like the MKX story, and I only wish it was two or three chapters longer, and gave Bo' Rai Cho and Fujin more screen time. A flashback chapter involving Reiko would have been awesome as well, but I suppose I understand why they didn't go down that route as it would perhaps detract from the main cast.

As for Fatalities and X-Ray attacks, I think some of them lack variety and there's too much focus on cracking skulls and dismembering people rather than just 'normal' attacks on the legs, arms and torso. I'd actually prefer it if in MK XI X-Ray attacks were toned down and appeared less obviously fatal. I really like the concept, though, and it should definitely stay.

Some more single player content would have been nice. Whilst personally I do love the living towers stuff, a set piece challenge tower ala MK9 would have been great, and I'd like Chess Kombat to make a return. Also, Test Your Sight really can't be that difficult to code, so that would be nice as well - albeit not a priority.

I play less nowadays because I've maxed out the factions and got the Dragon King set, unlocked all of the skins I'm able to (can't get Rev. Jax it seems) and am waiting - in vain, it seems - for news of Fujin and Rain as DLC. They will probably rejuvenate my interest in the game, but I genuinely don't have many major criticisms of it. I agree with the whole 'X isn't playable, so I hate the game' thing, and people are far too quick to judge in that regard. Whilst I am disappointed with the roster personally, I don't think it's a bad roster, and there's certainly plenty of good characters on offer.

I effing hate the stages. They just dont have that special MK flair. Either that or nostalgia makes me think that nothing will beat the original stages.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

The best Mortal Kombat to date in terms of gameplay, graphics and character designs, imo. The roster is lacking though, and the Story Mode as well. It's not perfect, but it is still the best in the series so far, again imo.

mkd mk ar mkvsdc mk9 and mkx are the biggest insult to MK saga in different examples and points of view.
So i am agreed with you, but mkx have a good side, like happened with previous titles, they had the productive side, but is not big imo.

So MKx deserve a big punishments but i regonize that mk9 did make to me more embitter, anyways fvckoff with stupid ed boon.

Last edited:
I think people are too harsh on the X story mode.

It is MILES better than any other fighting game story mode and also much better than MK 2011's. MK 2011 story mode was very cartoony and many characters were basically comic relieves. Compare Johnny Cage and Mileena's potrayals in both games. Not to mention many more fights in MK 2011 felt rather unecessary or simply plain stupid. Yes, it had the nostalgia factor, but was very cringe-worthy.

The problem with X story mode was that it felt incomplete. It is unbelievable they didn't add Kenshi and Mileena's chapters. It is lacking at least 5 parts for sure. Fujin and Li Mei should have been characters with those awesome re-designs. More focus on the Outworld War. Yet, it was a good story mode. The characters felt real. Their struggles and issues were more believable. Johnny Cage FINALLY felt like someone whom you could actually care about. To me, I have no doubts: they did a good job here but they could have done better.

While the roster may be a bit underwhelming, it doesn't bother me too much. Because of it, I found Mileena, my new favorite character (At least for this go-around, who knows how she'll play in the future of if she even appears cause of what happens in Story mode :dong: )

Story mode is great, and I really don't understand how its "Drawn out", this is the first time see someone post about the story being too long lol. And the gameplay to me is just as good if not better than MK9

The ONLY thing I'm disappointed in actually has nothing to do with the game, but myself. Before release I came here every single day, checked for new info all the damn time (Videos, rumors, pictures, etc.) to the point where I burned myself out on MKX... before I even played the game. Its tough to come back to sometimes because I feel like i've been playing it for a year already, even though it came out in April. The DLC definitely helps though.

The only thing I didn't really care for was the quick-time events. I thought there would be some gruesome deaths if I didn't press the buttons immediately. Nope, you just get less health when you're fighting against someone.

Other than that, I found the game to be very enjoyable. Will say though, yes, it died quickly, because I haven't touched it in a while. Online sucks, it just sucks, there's nothing more annoying than a sucky online mode. Yeah, I can play the towers, but that too even gets boring. And I really didn't care for the Factions. It was a neat new concept to get more into the game but I just didn't care for it.

But, it's still a great game nonetheless. I liked the story, it's certainly not a great one, but it's a story. Yeah so Cassie killed Shinnok, honestly who didn't see that coming? I liked it.

I think people are too harsh on the X story mode.

It is MILES better than any other fighting game story mode and also much better than MK 2011's. MK 2011 story mode was very cartoony and many characters were basically comic relieves. Compare Johnny Cage and Mileena's potrayals in both games. Not to mention many more fights in MK 2011 felt rather unecessary or simply plain stupid. Yes, it had the nostalgia factor, but was very cringe-worthy.

The problem with X story mode was that it felt incomplete. It is unbelievable they didn't add Kenshi and Mileena's chapters. It is lacking at least 5 parts for sure. Fujin and Li Mei should have been characters with those awesome re-designs. More focus on the Outworld War. Yet, it was a good story mode. The characters felt real. Their struggles and issues were more believable. Johnny Cage FINALLY felt like someone whom you could actually care about. To me, I have no doubts: they did a good job here but they could have done better.

EVERY fight in the Story Mode felt unnecessary to me. Who cares if it's better than other fighting game stories? Fighting games are, at their core, intended to be played by 2 PEOPLE, against each other. The AI is included so you can practice the basics before you get into playing people.

The most successful fighting game, BY FAR, is Street Fighter, but how many people actually know the story? Why is Ken fighting? Why does Blanka fight? Yeah, people have a loose understanding, but it's by no means a crucial part of the game or the inspiration for people playing.

EVERY fight in the Story Mode felt unnecessary to me. Who cares if it's better than other fighting game stories? Fighting games are, at their core, intended to be played by 2 PEOPLE, against each other. The AI is included so you can practice the basics before you get into playing people.

The most successful fighting game, BY FAR, is Street Fighter, but how many people actually know the story? Why is Ken fighting? Why does Blanka fight? Yeah, people have a loose understanding, but it's by no means a crucial part of the game or the inspiration for people playing.
Your point being?
Just because Street Fighter doesn't have a story mode, MK shouldn't as well?

Mortal Kombat HAS been praised for doing things no other fighting game does, and that's much of its appeal. If you don't care, then don't play it, I really don't see why you're whinning about this.

I am glad NRS has fun with Mortal Kombat and tries to spice it up a bit with various different modes...

Last edited:
Could not disagree more with the OP!

MKX is my favorite MK, and probably even my favorite fighting game.

In my view, only three things prevent it from being an overall flawless victory:
  • Absence of Sareena, Sindel, Skarlet
  • Xrays do too much damage, look too unrealistic, are too easy to execute, and take too long
  • Fatalities are too easy to execute and can even be purchased (and some of them are too disgusting, like Mileena's second one)

Could not disagree more with the OP!

MKX is my favorite MK, and probably even my favorite fighting game.

In my view, only three things prevent it from being an overall flawless victory:
  • Absence of Sareena, Sindel, Skarlet
  • Xrays do too much damage, look too unrealistic, too easy to execute, and take too long
  • Fatalities are too easy to execute (and some of them are too disgusting, like Mileena's second one)

Disagree on the severe bias towards female characters.

Disagree on the damage on X-Rays. You can do way more damage if you use your bars seperately. MK isn't realistic. I agree that they are too easy to execute, but they don't take too long. only a few seconds.

Fatalities are way too easy. I miss back in MK1-MK4 where they were at least a little difficult to pull off. They are so easy in MKX that this is the first MK game where I've accidentally done them multiple times. Too disgusting? Get that nonsense out of here. :rolleyes:

Disagree on the severe bias towards female characters.

Disagree on the damage on X-Rays. You can do way more damage if you use your bars seperately. MK isn't realistic. I agree that they are too easy to execute, but they don't take too long. only a few seconds.

Fatalities are way too easy. I miss back in MK1-MK4 where they were at least a little difficult to pull off. They are so easy in MKX that this is the first MK game where I've accidentally done them multiple times. Too disgusting? Get that nonsense out of here. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't think have a severe bias towards female characters, I just wish the male/female ratio would approach a more realistic 50/50 (I would be even super happy with a 60/40).

I guess objectively speaking Xrays do not take too long, but after having seen Scorpion's "double spear" Xray for the n'th time (that tells you something about my skills LOL) it appears to take an eternity.

Haha, I knew my remark about fatalities would draw the ire of most/all fans (and is not the topic of this thread), and it is certainly not an important issue to me, but certain fatalities I feel uncomfortable pulling off if my girlfriend is in the room...