PS4 Character Usage Updates

Re: Character Usage List (Updated on July 3rd)

Updated the PS4 stats of July (just missed Kotal Kahn number, i'll do it later today). Can some mood fix this topic and remove the (Updated on July 3rd) part and add PS4, [MENTION=5107]Taj Gill[/MENTION]? It would be useful for everybody. Thanks!

I'm confused by what you mean, can you just type out what you want the exact title to look like and I'll copy and paste it?

Re: Character Usage List (Updated on July 3rd)

Scorpion has and will always be constructed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Come on, the vanilla verison has three moves! Doesn't get more simplistic than that.

Erron Black and any other guessing game 50/50 character is braindead easy. I should know, I'm a fraud Sonya player.

Jacqui has run combos which means most noobs will be turned off by her.

I never said that Scorpion wasn't constructed as such, just that his MK9 version is MUCH easier to play as.
His MKX version is easy to use, but not easier than the MK9 version.

Erron Black isn't the NetherRealm mascot, which people run to play as, though, and casual n00bs will always run to Scorpion just because he's Scorpion, not necessarily because he's easy or hard to use.
The usage list is compiled based on how many times a character is used and selected by people for matches, not by how easy or hard that character is to use.

By the mentality of "Scorpion being #1 because he is easy to use," though, then by that same mentality "Full Auto" Jaqui also has many special moves that have quick start-up frames, which appeal more to n00bs.
By definition, Jacqui has special moves that seem to be more n00b-friedly.
That's not the case, though.
Scorpion is #1 because people run to Scorpion because he's Scorpion, regardless of whether they win or lose with him.

Last edited:
Aw. I feel kinda bad for Tanya. But I'm not surprised she's absolutely irrelevant online. I did predict that she'd be one of the most never-played characters in online stats before she even came out. I still enjoy her though. XOXO Wife.

Tanya still is top-tier in X. I wonder if the patch damages her significantly.
It's likely she'll surpass Quan Chi and Kano in the long run though.

Sonya and D'Vorah have been falling like heavy rocks from a mountain.
People will still whine in MK11 that NO-ONE plays Jax, ever, yet he's top 10 in X as he was in MK9 - but stats ARE WRONG! THEY MEAN NOTHING! I DON'T LIKE JAX, THEREFORE NO-ONE LIKES HIM AS WELL!

I am happy for Kenshi! He deserves his spot!

With all the buffs and the premiere tower you'd think Kitana would climb a few more spots, yet she's still near the back of the pack :( So much for her being considered one of the series' most popular characters I guess.

The women almost always do not-as-great in usage stats (exceptions like Cassie this time out aside). For female DLC especially Tanya's not doing half-bad.

With all the buffs and the premiere tower you'd think Kitana would climb a few more spots, yet she's still near the back of the pack :( So much for her being considered one of the series' most popular characters I guess.

Yes, but she's being much more used now. The difference between July and Aug is about 8 million more plays with her. She might climb some spots yet. She's in disadvantage, since she was one of the worst players before her buffs and was almost on bottom players.

Not gonna front liu got a lot of love in mkx. Even after not playing mkx for like a month. He still plays how i want him to. Just hope they give him further development in mk11. I wonder if theyll be bold enough to make lou the bad guy who actually wins

Tremor at the end? Gotta change that. I guess people love the concept, but have a hard time playing as him. I mean, he is hard.

I guess it's safe to say, starting with number 21 all the way down to 29 not many from them will return if any.
Top 9 + Kitana and all new characters (except for Ferra Torr) will sure make a comeback
Mileena, Sonya, D'vorah & Goro falled like rocks, which is not good sign either.

Something like this:
MK11.jpg

I wonder what MK9 list is, i assume some of them will return as well

Last edited:
I don't see what character usage has to do with them returning or not for MK11.

Imo, it has more to do with how they are well received they are among the fans, and the only proper way to do that is with a poll.
Character usage is vague, because while people could be using them on popularity, people could also just be using them based on how easy they are to use.
The Top 8 characters really aren't that hard to master in 1 variation or another.
Tremor was the #1 requested DLC character, with Fujin behind that, and yet he's 28 on the character usage list because people used him for a bit and likely couldn't get good with him, so they dropped him.

As for Trilogy characters, the ones returning are likely the ones that have been in the most games.
That said, I personally think that Sonya, Johnny and Jax can sit out (not necessarily dead), for once.
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, and Liu Kang will always be in MK games because people can't let go of them.
I could also see Mileena returning, even though she's dead.
Much like Liu Kang, Kung Lao and Kitana, people will cry and moan if Mileena's not in, and MKX has proven that canon goes out the window if the crybabies complain loud enough for their characters.
Mileena will also likely have a non-canon default living costume.
People will also moan if Reptile's not in, because "ninja." :roll:
Ermac could be gone, for all I care.
That dude has had 0 character development ever since UMK3.
He's always someone else's henchman, much like stale Baraka, and Kano.
They tried again with Kano in MKX, but he was just a henchman again.

As for the rest of the Trilogy characters, the ones that aren't playable in MKX (aka dead or missing) can be swapped out for some of the current ones in MKX.
Kabal, Smoke, Sindel, Nightwolf, Jade, and Baraka can replace either Jax, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Quan Chi, Ferra / Torr (sadly :(), Kano or Tanya.

Last edited:
[MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION]

I agree with all of this here except, I wish Mileena would sit out MK11. D'vorah should fill her role, especially considering that she killed her.

Ermac needs to sit a game out because he's had a good run for a while. Maybe the next time he returns, he'll have more importance to the story. I wouldn't mind him becoming more of an anti-hero sort of like how he was a good guy in Deception.
I'd like to see him be a gateway to Shao Kahn's return but as a playable character, similar to Goro's position in MKX.

Same thing with Reptile. He's been in almost every MK game as a henchmen. It wouldn't hurt to have a different character take his spot. Khameleon/Chameleon perhaps?

Maybe Baraka could have an offspring? But regardless, he's dead as f#ck right now and I'm fine if he doesn't return right away. Build up the anticipation for the return of characters such as him.

I love Kano but he can sit on the bench too. I'd like something interesting to happen to the Black Dragon like Deception when Kabal became their leader.

Now, all these characters could have cool cameo's or references (like MKX's story: Stryker, Kabal, Sindel, Sareena, Rain, Frost etc etc) within the story mode to show that they are not forgotten, just letting other playable characters get a chance to shine.

Personally, I'd like to see Noob Saibot return and become Sub-Zero's arch nemesis. It could go a couple ways: Sub-Zero could be trying to save his soul or he could be too far gone to save and they are out to kill each other. I think it's the next best thing that could happen to Sub-Zero's story after being Scorpions rival for so long. This goes without saying that Scorpion is in need of a new arch enemy too.

And yes, definitely sprinkle in some Trilogy characters! Hopefully without it repeating X's roster of mostly MK2 characters. It should be well balanced and unique to the new game.

So with my obsession with Kabal, I hope my patience with his absence in MKX is rewarded. Make him the new Black Dragon leader again, or go the mecha-Kabal route like his MK9 ending. Anything, just as long as he doesn't become stale with nothing interesting happening to him.