Should there be a last gen and Wii U version of MKX?

Imo, devs should move most of their bigger titles to current gen only to avoid bottlenecking the games in terms of visuals and performance. You could make the argument that the install base is bigger on last gen but honestly, the install base for current gen is almost 40 million if not already. It's big enough for these developers to make a profit.

[MENTION=20130]veDXKMnAtoN_Jason[/MENTION]

Your avatar... is that some early abandoned concept art for Goro?

Well, one can argue that if High Voltage Studios wasn't in the charge of last-gen ports or the last-gen port was completely forgot, PC version could be actually better.

For that reason and simply because it waste resources, I would just ditch it completely. It doesn't do any kind of good for a game and in fact, sometimes it just cause some problems. Battlefield series for instance with Battlefield 4 was held back because of ancient hardware of last-gen ports (doesn't matter though because the series were already destroyed by the last-gen).

I know that some people still have last-gen and can't afford the new console but it shouldn't be just because of that, since it's the same deal that if you just can't afford new PC. The main reason is that WB games might think there's still potential amount of buyers on the last-gen but still, I would've ditched the idea.

Next Gen is prohibitively expensive in certain countries (and we have several users on this site from South America who can back that up as witnesses, even down to the conversion to USD...and next gen consoles in the States are $400 USD)...I could be wrong, but the issue may be excessive taxes on gaming consoles in those countries. Do you really think it's right to freeze out the South American market who can't even afford to buy Next Gen? The console prices in those countries make $400 look like chump change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

That's a valid reason, and it's one that I and a lot of other people don't seem to consider. But once these consoles REALLY fall off in profit in the areas where they're the most profitable, a lot of developers are going to find themselves having to drop them. Like any other console generation. A few developers will still support them, most likely some of EA's teams.

Last Gen has been confirmed almost two months ago. It'll drop on June 30th, delayed mostly because Netherrealm isn't developing it for 360 and PS3.

Do you really think it's right to freeze out the South American market who can't even afford to buy Next Gen? The console prices in those countries make $400 look like chump change.
I'm mainly talking about how last-gen versions can potentially hold back the versions being as good as they could and in that wise, I would like that there was no last-gen version. But it's not like my post is based on "screw you last-gen users".

There's no need to jump the gun.

Imo, devs should move most of their bigger titles to current gen only to avoid bottlenecking the games in terms of visuals and performance. You could make the argument that the install base is bigger on last gen but honestly, the install base for current gen is almost 40 million if not already. It's big enough for these developers to make a profit.

Kind of invalid question at this point I think. The current gen versions have been released. Nothing is preventing them from porting to last gen. Neither has it any effect on current gen since the game is already out. Plus a last gen version was promised so it would be only fair of them to keep the promise and deliver. There's no going back now.

And last gen isn't bottlenecking anything. MKX was built with next gen in mind from the start. This is the best NRS can do regardless of last gen.

As for Nintendo... Not going to happen. Nintendo doesn't want their family image ruined just because of one game. The hardware could do it, though, since the WiiU is somewhere between last gen and current gen.

I would say no, but they got Bayonetta 2... It's not guts and blood, but lots of nudity and vag in yo face!

So much for a "kid friendly console"...

Oh heck no. Nintendo doesn't want kiddies seeing guts flying everywhere. :p

That notion is long dated. While their in-house games are never particularly violent, Nintendo does not stop 3rd parties for making violent games. I mean, why else would Manhunt 2 and MK Armageddon make it on the Wii?

The biggest issues is going to be the hardware limitations.

Last edited:
That notion is long dated. While their in-house games are never particularly violent, Nintendo does not stop 3rd parties for making violent games. I mean, why else would Manhunt 2 and MK Armageddon make it on the Wii?

And besides, the fact that Nintendo's censored port of MK1 was outsold by the Genesis "blood/fatality code" port by a ratio of anywhere between 2:1 and 3:1, combined with the establishment of the ESRB at around the same timeframe, was what led to Nintendo phasing out their "Family Friendly" censorship policy in the first place, which explains why every MK game since then, beginning with MK2, has been uncensored on Nintendo consoles. And besides, any censorship of games on Nintendo's consoles nowadays is either entirely at the First Party level (censoring their own games), or under extreme circumstances (particularly to avoid the commercially prohibitive AO rating, which is already an industry-wide standard operating procedure anyway).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Wii U is just slightly ahead of the 360 and PS3. I agree with you.

Well, I remember Watch Dogs. That game was released for PS4, PS3, and Wii U.
Hack systems and street crimes. Unsafe contents for the children, definitely.

It doesn't really matter if this game has last-gen ports, since the game is finished/released and it uses Unreal Engine 3.5 anyways. It's not hurting anything and will only add to the massive success this game already has. The more successful these games are, the more Warner will be willing to give them next time when it comes to their budget.

The next MK is a few years off though, and I doubt any developers will still be supporting last gen by that point anyways, so we should definitely have MK11 with the latest version of Unreal 4.