Anyone Else Disappointed With the Story Mode?

Rider

And i mean really disappointed??
I don't even know where to start. It's short, it's not exciting, it's boring.

I almost fell asleep during the whole thing, overall it feels so stupid and rushed like they didn't even knew what to do, like they throw in these new characters just because they didn't know what to do with it. I needed much more time to finish MK9 Story, 1st of all it was harder, i literally died like 2 times in MKX Story and one of the 2 was final boss!
Final "boss" is story on it's own, it was soooo disappointing, when i saw ending credits i was like "WTF? That's it?" It wasn't hard at all. I died ONCE! And in MK9 i died maybe 10-15 times at the end.

There wasn't even a Story to be completely honest, just some random boring fights. It's short, it's boring and it's much worse than MK9 Story, i mean MK9 Story wasn't a masterpiece but this is bad. Also i hated cutscenes, tho. they are better than MK9 they looked bad, they were not real-time, but some dark pre-rendered cutscenes with pointless QTEs.

That's it, i had to say it because i expected more.

Last edited:
Re: Anyone else disappointed with the story?

I thought it was pretty good. Some parts I didn't understand like
Spoiler:
how Johnny Cage was surprised that he was glowing green and all
despite the fact he did it in MK9. And why isn't Sub Zero a cyborg anymore? Some things were left to be untouched.

I am also disappointed by the length of the story. I was away at work, so I didn't get to finally play MKX until the other night... and I beat the campaign literally in one sitting. There're a lot of things and aspects that were left wide open and vague, which has me assuming they're going to continue the story in the future and release it as DLC, kinda like The Last Of Us with their Left Behind package.

Going into MKX, Ferra & Torr were the ones who interested me the most. They have so much potential to unearth. So the fact that they were portrayed as grunt fighters who occasionally popped up feels like wasted potential.

Total dissapointment, i agree. Gameplay too slow and not fixed, what is the meaning of run button? useless.. also why we can't block for the wake up attack? About three variations, this stupid new doesn't means one character is 3 characters at the same time. Most of character variations stupid and boring like Sub-Zero's unbreakable or Kung Lao's tempest.. Story mode is boring yes because there is no story guys. I will sell my collector's edition if anyone interested pls send a pm.

I loved it. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. Tied up loose ends with Sub-Zero & Scorpion, and established the new heroes of the franchise. Sucks that Erron Black and Torr were grunts, but every series needs its jobbers. We can't keep beating up Reptile and Baraka over and over.

Total dissapointment, i agree. Gameplay too slow and not fixed, what is the meaning of run button?

Slow? Are we playing the same game? MKX is leagues faster than MK9 or Injustice. It isn't the game's fault you don't understand how to use the run feature.

Was anyone expecting any better from a fighting game?

I play MK to punch other people and throw random stuff at them, if I want to enjoy a good story I play Uncharted, The Last of Us or an RPG.

Nobody plays COD or Battlefield for the campaign, they buy the game to play online, every game has one thing that it is made for.

Games like Dead Space, Uncharted, inFamous, God of War, Assassin's Creed and such are focused on a campaign.
Games like COD, BF, Halo and more are focused on online modes.

I think people who play MK for the story are being ridiculous, MK is not a game focused on the story, it's a fighting game, it's focused on AI and PvP fighting.

The fact that NRS is "trying" to focus on the story is damaging the series, why? because they waste time on a bs story that is worth nothing when they could invest that time in better netcodes, dedicated servers, better AI (this is important), more chars/stages, more offline modes, etc.

I'd change the whole story mode for an extended bio and a vignette for each character + 5 more chars.

I think people who play MK for the story are being ridiculous, MK is not a game focused on the story, it's a fighting game, it's focused on AI and PvP fighting.

No it's not, the story is very important too. For example, Persona 4 Arena and it's sequel had a story mode as well. Just cause it's a fighting game doesn't mean people don't play it for the story. If MKX didn't have a story mode, or had such a good story behind it, MK wouldn't be one of my favorite video game series.

I thought it was the best story mode NRS has ever done.

A few changes that I think would've made the story mode better:

- Mileena chapter: Flashback of her and Reiko and its conclusion, to explain the Reiko accord, her escape from Kotal Kahn which would have given us development for Rain and Tanya, as well as expanding the civil war, which to me, felt a bit short.
- Sub-Zero's chapter to include a flashback of his fight with the cyber Lin Kuei and Sektor, which had Sektor as an NPC (also giving us where Cyrax is at the end of the battle).
- Fujin to be included throughout MKX (it was odd that they just dropped him after the first chapter without an explanation).
- Jade be included in the army of revenants.
- Remaining revenants to all be fightable NPCs (giving more variety to fights in story mode.)

Does anyone know what happens to Baraka if you don't perform the fatality?