MKX, more casual than MK9?

Immortal Reaver

So I'm looking at the in-game frame data, which may be off. but I'm noticing that almost nothing is positive on block. Most things on block are always negative. Some things being insanely negative. Quan Chi's trance is -47 on block. I'm having a hard time pressuring people in this game. It seems to revolve more around set ups. Lots of things are slowed down also. I went into Practice with Liu Kang and I was checking out if his IA fireballs have changed. They are drastically slower. and you also can't do them the same way as in MK9 either. NRS made it more difficult to do them. I feel like some parts of the game are less casual but a lot of parts are more casual. It might just be because the game is still new. What do you guys think?

If feels purely casual imo. MK9 felt more story focused whereas this game feels more gameplay focused. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that NRS is just using this game to test the waters or Next-Gen Consoles and that they'll focus on the story again with MK11.

I feel like this game favors button mashing to be honest. Everything is so negative on block and I'm actually trying to get some combos going online and I just get blown up sometimes. I never ever not even once lose to button mashing in MK9 or KI. Even when I was new at the games.

what does this mean?

It has frames of recovery after an attack is blocked. If it's negative, it means that the attacker has X amount of recovery frames. If both players have a 5 frame jab and Player A hits Player B with an attack that is -1 on block, and Player B blocks it, Player B will have a 1 frame advantage because Player A is -1 after that attack.

Probably a weird way to word it. but what it basically means is that if you have no attacks that are positive on block, it can be hard to keep up the pressure. Since most attacks are negative, there isn't much block pressure in this game.

So I'm looking at the in-game frame data, which may be off. but I'm noticing that almost nothing is positive on block. Most things on block are always negative. Some things being insanely negative. Quan Chi's trance is -47 on block. I'm having a hard time pressuring people in this game. It seems to revolve more around set ups. Lots of things are slowed down also. I went into Practice with Liu Kang and I was checking out if his IA fireballs have changed. They are drastically slower. and you also can't do them the same way as in MK9 either. NRS made it more difficult to do them. I feel like some parts of the game are less casual but a lot of parts are more casual. It might just be because the game is still new. What do you guys think?

I'm disappointed in the title of this topic, because some frame data changed doesnt mean more casual bud.
MKX is far more pointed towards the Evo crowd & tournament players, connecting moves / ex's after combo's has been made harder. There is also a lot more options for pressure and a lot of characters stun after their combo's even while on block mostly you need to start with a poke before you can counter attack (corner pressure)
I have played 12 hours online and 17 hours in practice mode and have to say MKX has a steaper learning curve is you want to pull of crazy things :)
I had a discussion about this last night, everyone thinks 5 minutes of practicing lets you pull of 50% combo's lol good luck with that online, you'll need to pour hours and hours in.

If feels purely casual
THIS^

- combos are too easy and feel almost DoA-like in how stuff one doesn't mean just comes out (and works!)
- all 'large' combos seem to cap in damage to around ~40-45%, making the characters feel same-y
- a lot of combos that SHOULD work, do not; in large part to some weird delay after forward-dashing
- oddities like Goro's Quake not hitting a rising opponent (often both pounds of his normal Quake just wiff with the opponent just standing there, immune to it) smack of lazy / cursory / thoughtless game balance
- speed seems to rule this game -- the fastest characters will be top tier and the rest junk (despite the game overall being quite fast... too fast, some might argue)

I feel like this game favors button mashing to be honest.
People don't like honesty here... nor in this pastime at all, in fact.

some frame data changed doesnt mean more casual bud.
If that's all you see having changed then you're the casual.

The game simply feels 'watered down' with respect to its gameplay. It's the sum of the dumbing down parts, not one specific aspect of the casualisation the game has gone through that hurts.

Last edited:
THIS^

If that's all you see having changed then you're the casual.

Orly casual? Gamertag please, I will invite you tomorrow, you need to be disciplined. If you dont accept my challenge to Mortal Kombat you show you're wrong, PS4 european btw.

Lots of things are slowed down also. I went into Practice with Liu Kang and I was checking out if his IA fireballs have changed. They are drastically slower. and you also can't do them the same way as in MK9 either. NRS made it more difficult to do them. I feel like some parts of the game are less casual but a lot of parts are more casual. It might just be because the game is still new. What do you guys think?

Sub-Zero's Ice Ball also feels a bit slower and they changed it to D,F+2 instead of D,F+3, which was tripping me up a bit.
I kept going into MK9 mode and pressing D, F+3 instead of D, F+2.
It'll take me a little bit to get used to.
Raiden does seem a bit more casual-friendly in MKX with some of his combos, but at the same time his moves also feel more fluid and not as stiff.

You just contradicted yourself. It would only be mashy if everything was positive on block. Being negative discourages such a playstyle.

Saying the game is more casual and encouraging button mashing are both casual kind of things, so not really contradictory.

Orly casual? Gamertag please, I will invite you tomorrow, you need to be disciplined. If you dont accept my challenge to Mortal Kombat you show you're wrong, PS4 european btw.
Xboner AU and, as suggested, the game is casualware; so what would tard flailing at each other prove?

I'm having no problems pressuring people, you can't play this game like MK9.

Just because something isn't + on block doesn't mean you can't pressure.

I can pressure with Ermac and Noob Saibot in MK9, and everything I use for pressure was nuetral on block or -1.

Sorry there are no free frame traps everywhere like Sonya/Cage.

IN place of that you get shitty wake-ups so atleast when you do hard knock downs you get basically more free pressure.

I was afraid of all the 50/50's at first but alot of these 50/50's are unsafe. or one of them requires early special move commitment, which makes it unsafe.

I'm having no problems pressuring people, you can't play this game like MK9.

Just because something isn't + on block doesn't mean you can't pressure.

I can pressure with Ermac and Noob Saibot in MK9, and everything I use for pressure was nuetral on block or -1.

Sorry there are no free frame traps everywhere like Sonya/Cage.

IN place of that you get shitty wake-ups so atleast when you do hard knock downs you get basically more free pressure.

I was afraid of all the 50/50's at first but alot of these 50/50's are unsafe. or one of them requires early special move commitment, which makes it unsafe.

Yeah the 50/50's are definately not safe, I tried a lot online and seem to get punished! Also casuals are getting raped pretty hard seen you can only get out of pressure's with the right frame's that are put on you in corners by using low pokes and then following up with either a push back move or wake up, which imho wake ups are a little over used, they should scale that down and let people only use it every 15 seconds if hard knock down.

Xboner AU and, as suggested, the game is casualware; so what would tard flailing at each other prove?
Okay man have fun fighting offline forever :D and if you do try to fight online have fun playing other casual people :D and get beat by casuals :D 10/10 gg

I think this is actually a little more hardcore.

I am a filthy casual, and this game is so much harder for me, to the point where i like mk9 alot more.

Mk9 had a better cast, i love erron black and dvorrah, but i miss kabal and noob, amd cyrax... Yeah. Kombos felt a lot smoother for me in the other game theres a fluidity in mk9 that feels completely stunted in this game. At first it felt faster amd more excited, but i find my commands just dont execute as intended quite often.

Variations are totally unnecessary, and i even find that my friends dont even look at them they just tap X through to the fight, that energy should have been spent on more characters.

Its fun, the graphics are gorgeous, Erron Black is rad but overall this just is not the perfect game that its predecessor was.

Okay man have fun fighting offline forever :D and if you do try to fight online have fun playing other casual people :D and get beat by casuals :D 10/10 gg
That seems to be the flowchart of the game, I'm afraid.

But the thing (for me at least) is, I play for SKILL, not a meaningless win/loss ratio. A bout where everything I do is deliberate and has some semblance of skill imbued therewith, but ends up a loss for me, is a good match. A bout where I spam some exploitative crap and win double-flawless is tantamount to scooping my own brain out with an ice cream scoop and eating it.

'Too win without risk is to triumph with glory.' -Pierre Corneille

2V8EVej.gif

That seems to be the flowchart of the game, I'm afraid.

But the thing (for me at least) is, I play for SKILL, not a meaningless win/loss ratio. A bout where everything I do is deliberate and has some semblance of skill imbued therewith, but ends up a loss for me, is a good match. A bout where I spam some exploitative crap and win double-flawless is tantamount to scooping my own brain out with an ice cream scoop and eating it.

'Too win without risk is to triumph with glory.' -Pierre Corneille

2V8EVej.gif

this guy here... has like 2 days with the game. Thinks he knows the full meta already.

be7.jpg