Mortal Kombat X reviews thread

You sound like such a hater. Wow.
Why can't you just accept that different people like different things?
Hate the facts, not the fact-givers and I'll tolerate those who like different things (whatever the obscure relevance of this may be to my post) when people return the favour -- e.g., for those who like facts over fiction, Shao Kahn over ninja generica, gameplay prioritised over fluff, etc.

Quid pro quo, buddy.

You'll learn to just tune it out. That's what he does on here.
It's called "ostrich-ing". Everyone does it. It's easier on the brain and makes the world go 'round.

Hate the facts, not the fact-givers and I'll tolerate those who like different things (whatever the obscure relevance of this may be to my post) when people return the favour -- e.g., for those who like facts over fiction, Shao Kahn over ninja generica, gameplay prioritised over fluff, etc.

Quid pro quo, buddy.

Facts? Nah, just the usual bullsh*t most your posts consist of.
Drop the tin-foil hat, will ya.

You said the only reviews that count would be from "fight-game circuit gamers" then went on to contradict yourself saying not even those matter because they're paid off.
Just like [MENTION=18651]emi_b7[/MENTION] said earlier, any review that doesn't rate it poorly or meet your own personal bias should be disregarded.

Good to see reviews are here and they are all very high. I was not super worry but I was a bit worry that people will about how the gameplay feels no different from MK9 or some crap like that.

84 on Metacritic at the moment. I've posted my initial impressions in a separate thread.
I seriously can't understand this review from Gamesradar:

"Mortal Kombat X has tons of polish, unique mechanics, and the genre's best story mode, but it doesn't do enough to keep players invested if they weren't already planning on it.". Rating 3.5/5

I mean, they gave Street Fighter IV 5/5 and Super Street Fighter IV 4,5/5 in the past. I freaking love SFIV series to death and 3,5 stars isn't bad for MKX, but in terms of last sentence, how in the hell MKX "doesn't have enough to keep players invested", compared to SFIV that barely had any single player value in the start? Did they even think of stuff like living towers etc..?

9 on Polygon, wow.

Not that a review score matters to me personally, as I've had my preorder paid off since February...but it's great to see the love from others who may or may not be as invested emotionally in the series.

I seriously can't understand this review from Gamesradar:

"Mortal Kombat X has tons of polish, unique mechanics, and the genre's best story mode, but it doesn't do enough to keep players invested if they weren't already planning on it.". Rating 3.5/5

I mean, they gave Street Fighter IV 5/5 and Super Street Fighter IV 4,5/5 in the past. I freaking love SFIV series to death and 3,5 stars isn't bad for MKX, but in terms of last sentence, how in the hell MKX "doesn't have enough to keep players invested", compared to SFIV that barely had any single player value in the start? Did they even think of stuff like living towers etc..?
I already called this a while ago. The press either has a hard-on for Fighters not named Mortal Kombat, or Japanese Fighters. Hell, it's probably both.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

So far, Mortal Kombat should be the immediate undisputed champion in well-known fighting games through, and through... To be honest, I can see the only games that compete single player-wise and story that I know of; is Tekken and The King of Fighters.

So looking forward to picking it up tonight after I get off of work.

I already called this a while ago. The press either has a hard-on for Fighters not named Mortal Kombat, or Japanese Fighters. Hell, it's probably both.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

The difference between Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter is that SF has never TRIED to be more than just a fighting game. MK has, and failed more than once due to (frankly) goofy storylines (and side modes) and insane amounts of plot holes due to contrived writing over the years.

If MK wants to continue to be an adventure/story driven experience both inside and out of Story Mode, it will be graded as such. The fact that it's also a completely standalone fighting game becomes secondary, since again with SF it's very clear that you're getting a fighting game and little else. It may be the only thing Capcom is honest about.

I don't think "press bias" has anything to do with it, though, at least not in the way that media at large hates Mortal Kombat. A lot of it is branding and reputation, and Mortal Kombat is still recovering in the public eye after a decade of mismanagement. Street Fighter, despite numerous PR dips on obscene upcharges for glorified patches, has remained the class of all fighting games throughout.

At that point, you get into the debate about how media isn't reviewing Mortal Kombat X, but rather Mortal Kombat as a whole, but that's a different can of worms.

Either way, if you're on here, a review will either a) justify your belief in the game or b) give you a headache because someone with clout shares a different opinion. You're better off just being happy that the game is being received well and enjoying your experience as your own, rather than worrying what someone who probably won't play MKX long after the review was published had to say about it.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Sincerely do not mean to come off like I am trying to tell anyone how to feel or act. I've just been on both sides (media and dev), so it's easy for me to see both sides of these things.

Drop the tin-foil hat, will ya.
Spoken like someone benefiting from the 'history is not a compulsory curriculum' education system.

Stay ignorant. (It makes us elites' life much easier when the proletariat don't think :five: )

9.8 to me..
0,1 point is for the lack of reiko, and the other 0,1 point, is for the lack of havik.

I wonder if Toonami will review Mortal Kombat X? Both MK and Toonami are own by Time Warner. It will be another good way to promote the game.

So I was just searching for some MKX stuff when I found this...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-20-mortal-kombat-x-review

"Why would Sonya Blade fall in love with Johnny Cage? Mortal Kombat X does not even attempt to solve this riddle, choosing instead to lean into the sheer impossibility that their union would not only happen but result in a beautiful, bad-ass baby named Cassandra Cage. (Why would she take her dad's name? The unsolved mysteries abound.)

Mortal Kombat X introduces a new generation of kombatants in a story that falls a couple of decades after the 2011 Mortal Kombat reboot, during which time the development team has clearly undergone some soul-searching. The embarrassing jiggle physics of Mortal Kombat 9 have been replaced by practical sports bras; the cleavage-revealing "battle damage" mechanic has been axed as well.

Mortal Kombat 9's story, which depressingly concluded with the white-as-snow duo Johnny and Sonya getting saved by Raiden, has been followed up by a narrative that revolves around a much more diverse cast of four new characters, including Mortal Kombat's first canonical gay character, and also a black woman who survives all the way to the end of the campaign. There's more of a focus on the women, and - I can't emphasise this enough - they get to wear real bras this time. Real bras, people. Like, for fighting."

I shit you not. This is an actual review.
"Hey, tell me in a few sentences what's good about MKX?"
"Well, somehow a man and a woman got together. Can you imagine?! Also, women are wearing bras! Jiggle tits physics are gone! Ridiculous boob-revealing battle damage is gone! Women are wearing bras! Gay character! Remember those two I mentioned before? Well apparently they had a kid! That is just insane! To top it off, she's using her dad's name. Why?!
There's also a black woman, I won't even bother mentioning her father who's also black, but that woman survives to the end! Did I mention that women are wearing bras, because that's the kind of apparel you'd wear when throwing fireballs at steroid demons from hell and 4 armed almost naked giant half-human dragons?!"
"...Wow. How about gameplay for start??"

Three opening paragraphs of pure shit, dealing with minor issues in the previous game mixed with some of the most macabre SJW'ing I've seen lately. I still can't understand how Johnny or Sonya were "white-as-snow", or just how cryptic it is for two people to have a kid who uses her father's name. Looks like I need some soul searching to do. While laughing my head off in the process.

That review was ridiculous. A lot of critical reviews cite the microtransactions within the game. Some going as far as saying that it interferes with the experience. I don't understand that whatsoever...