(Potential Spoilers) How to avoid the Netherrealm?

Taj Gill

Okay so this has been on my mind and I feel it's worth a discussion thread.

As we know, at the end of MK9, all the dead "good" warriors were revived as revenants by Quan Chi. What is confusing to me is why did EVERYONE go to the bloody Netherrealm?

I mean, even Nightwolf is a reanimated revenant in MKX and he has the most pure soul. Takeda's soul fought the Netherrealm's grasp when he was briefly killed in the Comics.

So, what I'm trying to say, is the concept of the "Heavens" where Johnny Cage's and Liu Kang's soul went in the original timeline after they died, completely abolished now? No matter how good of a person you are, your soul is going to hell, and has the potential to be reanimated as a revenant by Sorcerors?

Discuss!

Quan Chi made a deal with Shao Kahn that he gets to hand-pick what souls he wanted to keep for himself.

Which wound up being the earthrealm warriors. Shao Kahn doesn't really give shits about the Netherrealm so what does he care? He's too busy conqering earthrealm to care.

My guess, to fill in the obvious plot gap is that Quan Chi asked for a special spell to snatch these guy's souls up in particular that he did not already have.

I chalk Takeda going to the Netherrealm up to being affiliated with the murderous Shirai Ryu, Scorpion, killing Fox, trying to kill Raiden. I don't imagine that EVERYONE EVER in Earthrealm goes to the Netherrealm, it's just that being part of an MK roster guarantees you a spot cause the rules against killing are quite clear.

IMO, the Netherrealm has just become a plot device for making sure everyone can come back. This is just me, but there's a sense of finality that comes from a soul going to Heaven. If you're condemned to eternal damnation there's less closure and more space for bringing people back, plus your characters have that "I'm scarred and trying to make peace with the horrible things I've seen" gimmick. And I think NRS has a thing for that.

Pure souls go to Heaven.

None of the warriors had pure souls. Nightwolf killed Sindel. He was adamant against killing, but had to kill.

Shao Kahn was absorbing ALL souls from Earthrrealm. So, his first goal was to have all of them.

Some souls would go to Heavens and others to the Netherrealm.

What occurred is, for Quan Chi's services, Shao Kahn SPARED some souls of being absorbed. They were probably asked by Quan Chi.

Then, Outworld's Kahn handled them, without knowing the whole trap.

Shao Kahn was making an obstacle to the natural path of the souls. When he allows Quan Chi to take some, he just didn't absorbed them.

The warriors went to the Netherrealm because Quan Chi had them. But they would surely go there anyway. You can't survive in the Netherrealm with a pure soul. All of them had some corruption on their lives. Event Nightwolf and Liu Kang.

Sent from Earthrealm

A better question is, why the hell was Raiden of all people able to set foot into the Netherrealm? I thought only those whose souls are tainted with evil could exist in the Netherrealm...Raiden doesn't even come CLOSE to matching that description.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

A better question is, why the hell was Raiden of all people able to set foot into the Netherrealm? I thought only those whose souls are tainted with evil could exist in the Netherrealm...Raiden doesn't even come CLOSE to matching that description.

Because the gameplay gods demand it lol

Or if we want to reach for some in universe reason, he WAS in fact responsible for a lot of deaths. Not sure if that really would count tho.

Are the soulnado's the devices that slow souls ascending so they can be intercepted?

Does a god have a soul? If so isn't it tainted by the faith of the followers he has? Besides, Raiden judges a lot so he's not a saint by far.

Additionally...now granted this was in the original timeline...

Johnny Cage was an egotistical, self-deluded person (to quote Sonya in the movie), and he went straight to whatever MK calls Heaven. That kind of attitude was bad enough to taint someone with evil, and how THAT didn't land him in the Netherrealm when he died in original timeline MK3 is beyond me.

I totally forgot about the bargain Quan Chi and Shao Kahn had...

This just came to mind. Shao Kahn aligned with the Netherrealm for assistance in conquering/merging Earthrealm, right?
My question is, what gives/gave Shao Kahn the right to bargain with EARTHREALM Warrior's souls? Especially when he is from Outworld, he had no dominion in Earthrealm at that time!

Is this just something we accepted and never thought thoroughly through? Cause I am really curious about this now!!!

Thoughts?!?!?!?!