Story Mode = One fight fixes everything?

ArcaneEsper

The point of this thread isn't to bash story mode, I'm sure it'll be great, but one thing I've been thinking about is how everything will fit. The story is going to happen over a long period of time and there'll be a lot going on, so my concern is certain interesting events being skimmed over for the sake of moving on in the story.

An example of this would be Kenshi helping Scorpion regain his sanity. Will it be reduced to a single fight?
Would it go like this:

Scorpion: *angry monologue about vengeance*
Kenshi: *probably makes some quip*
Both: *fight*
Kenshi: *wins*
Scorpion: OMG, Kenshi Senpai!! I am healed<3

PS: sorry if this is a pointless thread, just something that's been on my mind :p

The point of this thread isn't to bash story mode, I'm sure it'll be great, but one thing I've been thinking about is how everything will fit. The story is going to happen over a long period of time and there'll be a lot going on, so my concern is certain interesting events being skimmed over for the sake of moving on in the story.

An example of this would be Kenshi helping Scorpion regain his sanity. Will it be reduced to a single fight?
Would it go like this:

PS: sorry if this is a pointless thread, just something that's been on my mind :p

I actually had a good laugh out of your dialogue. LOL

Sadly, I think there'll be at least a bit of that. The comics are also speeding things up, and I can't imagine the game's story mode being RPG-like in length (it was already said that it is similar to MK9), so... I guess that's how it works.

MK9 did it, I think they will repeat the same formula but I hope in some cases takes more than a simple fight to get an arc conclusion.

But I'm thinking in something more like this:
(Scorpion-Kenshi chapter)
Kenshi vs Scorpion
Scorpion runs away
Kenshi try to catch him
Many other fights in between
Conclusion fight.

I don't know actually :p

Last edited:

No joke, this pretty much sums up all of how MK works fights into stories. From Deception onwards, this is pretty much how shit is done lmao.
Well done, sir.

I thought that's how most fighting game did things..

I'm so glad that we have lengthy cut scenes and comics this time around .some guys will probably skip them anyway since they just play the game for the fighting .

"Hereeeee's JOHNNY!!!!"

I lol'ed. XD
And as is proven with this game, even if Scorpion tries something else, he will always go back to be Quan Chi's b!sh slave, so I doubt this will be the case.

No joke, this pretty much sums up all of how MK works fights into stories. From Deception onwards, this is pretty much how shit is done lmao.
Well done, sir.

Haha, I'm a girl tho

but anyway, yeah thankfully we'll have some more depth to the story with the cutscenes and comics this time around

This is one of the big issues with fighting game stories. MK has heen at the front of fixing the problem. But we basically have a story in service of making people fight each other, and since there is so much fighting that ends up being what drives character development.

If the fighting were in service of the story itd be a much better story, but this is a video game and a gameplay, conpetitive driven one at that, so im not surprised they happen this way

Hopefully the QTEs will explain this, but after the Stryker vs Kintaro fight in MK9 nothing will surprise me anymore.

Would it go like this:

There'll definitely be more skimming than we would ideally like, but I think that given how little attention Scorpion received in MK9, his development will get much higher priority this time around. Something like what [MENTION=6443]Ermac210[/MENTION] suggested seems likely.

Wall of speculation INC:

1. We can basically rule out Kenshi's chapter coming after Johnny Cage's, because NRS logic dictates that Kenshi and Scorpion must fight for Scorpion to redeem himself, and Johnny Cage already beat Scorpion up. It's not at all like NRS to repeat enemies that quickly.

2. Does Kenshi even get a chapter at all? Weeks ago, I speculated that Kenshi would get the first chapter in the game, based on his involvement with SF and his future history with Scorpion, but now that we know he doesn't get the first or second, I have to wonder if he gets one at all. Let's say there are 12 like in Injustice, I think Johnny Cage, Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kotal Kahn, Cassie, Takeda, Jacqui, Kung Jin, Erron Black, and Kano are all more likely than Kenshi to receive one. That brings us to 11 right there. MK9 and Injustice had a repeat chapter, so let's say Kotal Kahn gets two. That's 12 chapters. Done and done.

3. Scorpion having at least one chapter is guaranteed, and he would make a great transitional character to help NRS travel through time. We've already been introduced to him in chapter 1, then imagine he gets chapter 2: he can still fight Kenshi (and someone else) during the NRW, then at the 15 year mark we can see him spar with Takeda, and then in the present he can fight Raiden after Raiden comes to recruit Takeda for a mission with the Special Forces.

Food for thought, I guess.

I'll use the Stryker fight vs Kintaro as the example here.

Ok so say in Story mode you fight and play as Stryker, so you have no choice but to beat Kintaro in a fight. How would you guys feel if this happened after the fight, it goes straight to a cutscene and shows Kintaro injured, or down to a knee, then he gets up and just smashes Stryker and Knocks him out or whatever.

Would you be okay with that? Since every chapter needs a boss fight you get that still, and you get the "realism" that Stryker shouldn't actually beat Kintaro.

But the downside it seems like you are fighting for nothing if you win the fight, but the opponent comes out on top in the end. Just a thought I had, and wanted your opinions. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

Would it go like this:

Yeah, but like people said here, the story serves the gameplay, so stuff like that is bound to happen.

I have faith in NRS though. I believe they handled Injustice's story mode much better than MK9's. Less filler fights, and the ones that were there made more sense, less filler chapters.