MKX Story Trailer (CST 8:00 02/27)

I'm not normally into reposting, but I was writing this as the announcement was made and it makes more sense here, so...

OK, so I've been thinking of the inevitable story trailer... you know, after which, allegedly, it'll be obvious who the main bad guy of MKX is. I must admit, I am... perplexed.

First, let's talk about what we know. We know for SURE that the main boss is a "fun, surprise returning character" - this rules out Kotal Kahn 100%, and Quan Chi and Shinnok 99%. If it rules out Raiden depends on whether the surprise is that the character is back, or the surprise is that they're the final boss. Ed Boon is no grammarian, so I'm going to leave the door tentatively open for Raiden being the boss. We know for SURE that part of the early story deals with the Netherrealm War, and a chunk of the second act deals with the Outworld Civil War.

Next, let's talk story trailer. For a story trailer, you generally want to give away as little as possible. You want to hype without spoiling. Sometimes that's just not an option. There's no way to hide who the main villain of MK9 is, because the entire plot of the entire game is to reboot MK1-3 so as to kill Shao Kahn. OK, makes sense. In MKX, however, a chunk of the early story involves the NRWar, which isn't directly tied in to the Outworld stuff that comes later. So if I'm NRS's marketing guy and I look at MKX, I'm going to say "let's have 90% of the story trailer be about the Netherrealm War! It'll be huge and dramatic, the stakes are epic... and it doesn't spoil shit past the half hour mark!" As a marketing thing, this makes perfect sense to me.

Except we know that the main bad guy should be obvious from the MKX story trailer. So let's go through the possibilities:

Let's say it's Liu Kang, he's back and he's pissed. Why the hell would they spoil a twist that big? Unless he shows up early enough to fight for Quan Chi during the NRWar... and fights for Quan Chi during the NRWar... it doesn't make any sense. He's not going to have much to do with the Outworld Civil War, so it's not like it's difficult to show off dramatic parts of the story that don't involve him.

Let's say it's Raiden, he goes coocoo for cocoa puffs. Well, Johnny Cage is Raiden's Champion, and Sonya and Raiden get along fine 15 years into the story, so obviously people aren't fighting against Raiden in NRWar or in Outworld Civil War. The only way for him to be obviously the bad guy would be for them to spoil the actual ending of the game, which doesn't make any sense.

And the same is true of most characters I can think of, e.g. Shang Tsung. So who can this magical "fun, returning" character be who makes a big splash either during NRWar or Civil War or both? Maybe I answered my own question with Liu Kang fighting for Quan Chi, but that's a way darker interpretation of the character than I would expect them to go with even if he's the bad guy. If not Liu Kang, I honestly have no clue.

Or maybe the trailer really does give away the whole story needlessly. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Please, some brazilian dude send it to my youtube or other thing, I'm gonna run naked on the street and when I probably go to prision, my family may show me the video.

HOLY **********!!!!!!!!!!

I dont have to wait til 5 in the morning like I did with the streams. Its at 10pm so hell yes. This is just my time zone by the way.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Fan-f****ng-tastic. :)

We'll definitely get a glimpse at several unrevealed characters. Johnny, Liu and Mileena seem like no-brainers.

Crossing my fingers for Erron Black, or any brand new characters really.

So really no character reveal tm? Just cause they are in the story trailer doesnt mean theyll be playable...Oh well, itll be nice to get some insight into the story as well I suppose.

So really no character reveal tm? Just cause they are in the story trailer doesnt mean theyll be playable...Oh well, itll be nice to get some insight into the story as well I suppose.
Story trailers include gameplay, so that's how we'd know for sure. But new costumes and story importance in general mean a character is likely playable, so that could be enough depending on the character.

It'll show gameplay, too, Injustice's story mode trailer did.

no the trailer can real some characther like johnny or liu but we just got to wait and see

Story trailers include gameplay, so that's how we'd know for sure. But new costumes and story importance in general mean a character is likely playable, so that could be enough depending on the character.

Yeah, MK9 and Injustice didn't exactly have a lot of important NPCs in their story modes, so I find this idea that MKX's will be full of them to be a strange one.

I'm hoping my cardiologist's office has decent wifi so I can watch while I wait for forty minutes to see him just to talk to him for two minutes. Yeah... Yeah...

Yeah, MK9 and Injustice didn't exactly have a lot of important NPCs in their story modes, so I find this idea that MKX's will be full of them to be a strange one.
I expect most NPCs to be cameos or in small supporting roles. So I'll use that as a barometer for who I think will be playable if we don't see their gameplay tomorrow (along with their costume), but it doesn't mean 100% confirmed playable until we see gameplay.

It'll show gameplay, too, Injustice's story mode trailer did.

Oh cool, thanks. I never really got into Injustice and never saw the mk9 story trailer. Well now im really excited. Im tempted to stay up till 6am to watch it lol