Comparing the reveal schedules between NRS' games

Lord Greyjoy

Remember this? I've added Injustice to the mix to see if a deliberate pattern could be gleamed.

However, for the Injustice info I used playstationtrophies.org news archive, so some things may be inaccurate. I did not post sources or leaks either, because big news sites don't always report on obscure leaks.

MK9
E3: Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Reptile, Kung Lao, Mileena, Sektor, Nightwolf, Shao Kahn
8/18: Kitana, Cyrax (Gamescom)
10/28: Jax (GTTV)
11/20: Sonya (LEAK: IgroMania magazine)
12/8: Kratos (VGA)
12/14: Ermac (Official PlayStation Magazine)
12/21: Sonya, Sindel (PSX Extreme magazine)
1/8: Jade, Goro (Gameinformer magazine)
1/27: Liu Kang, Baraka, Stryker (IGN's Inside X-Ray vignette)
2/10: Kano, Shang Tsung (Liu Kang vignette)
2/15: Noob (IGN trailer)
2/25: Kabal, Quan Chi (LEAK: Australian Classification Board)
3/17: Kabal (GTTV)
3/26: Kenshi, Skarlet, Kintaro (Gamepro magazine)
3/28: Sheeva, Smoke, Quan Chi, Cyber Sub-Zero (LEAK)
4/19: Sheeva, Smoke, Quan Chi, Cyber Sub-Zero (GAME LAUNCH)

Injustice
5/31: Batman, Harley, Solomon, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman
7/12: Cyborg, Nightwing
8/14: Catwoman
10/9: Green Arrow
10/10: Joker, Green Lantern
11/28: Deathstroke
1/25: Lex Luthor
2/11: Bane
2/12: Shazam
2/13: Aquaman
2/25: Sinestro, Hawkgirl
3/13: Doomsday
3/20: Black Adam
3/25: Raven
4/16: DLC Lobo
GAME LAUNCH: Killer Frost, Ares
5/5: DLC Batgirl
6/3: DLC Scorpion
6/14: DLC Zod
7/14: DLC Martian Manhunter
8/7: DLC Zatanna

MKX
E3: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Ferra/Torr, Kotal Kahn
7/12: Raiden (EVO)
8/3: Kano (LEAK: German Gamepro magazine)
8/11: Kano (Gamescom)
9/5: Goro (release date announcement)
10/2: Quan Chi (Igromir event)
12/31: Kung Lao (LEAK: Gamer magazine)
1/2: Kung Lao (GamesMaster magazine)
1/14: Kitana (Gameplay Trailer)
1/27: Reptile (IGN trailer)
1/29: Ermac (Kombat Kast)

-

Right off the bat, I see a decent pattern, at least between Injustice and MKX:
-E3/game announcement reveals six characters
-Announcement at EVO (Raiden and Nightwing/Cyborg)
-Announcement at Gamescom (Kano and Catwoman)
-Announcement in early October (although Injustice had several)
-A huge period of time with little to no info, from mid-October through December. Injustice did get a reveal in late November, but MKX got more in January.
-The months leading up to release are are very generous (not MK9's March or MKX's February as of this posting - but that could change next week)

What does this mean?

We'll know the majority of the roster before release: it was the case with MK9 and Injustice, and Tacos has stated it will be similar for MKX, so expect only spoilerish/unlockable characters to be kept secret until launch.

Some DLC is announced before the game is out. Likely we'll see some of the Kombat Pack content before release.

No reveals in April for both MK9 and Injustice (unless you count DLC or the game release). This might mean next week and March need to overwhelm us with reveals for MKX, because we might not get anything in April.

I remember the DLC for Injustice was leak when someone hack into the Season Pass after the game came out. I think a similar thing will happen with MKX when someone hacks into the Season Pass in April. We should know who the DLC fighters are by April.

I remember the DLC for Injustice was leak when someone hack into the Season Pass after the game came out. I think a similar thing will happen with MKX when someone hacks into the Season Pass in April. We should know who the DLC fighters are by April.
Yeah, I didn't count leaks because that would require more fact-searching.

Hopefully that happens, since there's no way I spend $30 on something without knowing what I'm getting.

I remembered how excited I was seeing the scans with that new female ninja. she has a great foundation for a good story and I like her fighting style. im keeping my hopes up she makes it.

You literally are the most organized human-being in all the realms [MENTION=18253]Lord Greyjoy[/MENTION].

I could swear you're a descendent of the Orderrealm.

I don't know about you guys, but I am happy with the reaveal tempo as it is.
More stuff to discover on your own when the game comes out.

I don't know about you guys, but I am happy with the reaveal tempo as it is.
More stuff to discover on your own when the game comes out.

Same here. I have no self-control when it comes to game reveals. If it's released, I won't be able to help myself from watching it.

I don't want to know anything about the story or fataliteies,bruatalities or X-Rays. Let me enjoy them when I buy the game. I only want to know the roster. I 'm going to pay for the game,I need at least to know the roster. Imagine if I'm excited spending 60-70 euros on the game and then boom, I hate the roster.

MKX has been a bit "dry" lately. Don't know what's going on. It's like we get reveals month after month. I mean there are a lot of characters left to be revealed and there's only one month and 20 days left. That's equal to 7 weeks and 2 days and there are AT LEAST 14 characters to make the cut. At this point we could get 2 reveals per week. 14 characters are too many to introduce in March.

We have 7 weeks till launch and 11 - 15 characters left to announce which might not even include Kombat Pack.

Even if a handful are kept secret we're gonna need to start seeing reveals weekly at this rate, and we've have nothing for over 3 weeks ..

I gotta say it's not that info is few and far between this time round, it's that the reveals have been rather underwhelming (bar the Next trailer). After being told about characters being killed off to make way for new ones or to reboot others, then getting MK9 character after MK9 character (and not ones who were living at the end of mk9), you can't help but feel a little dissapointed.

I may be extreme minority but I wish they would just do 2 or 3 "big reveals" with the rest of the roster in the coming weeks and release something about gameplay for the week before launch. The big reveals would only contain the basic roster, of course, and wouldn't give away any spoiler, final boss nor any truly awesome secret character (then again, will they ever come close to doing what they did for zombie Liu Kang in Deception, keeping it as hidden as possible?). Waiting so much for a reveal of another old character back from the dead kills a lot of the momentum, IMO!

I guess MKX will go gold sometime in March. I'm going to bet the full roster will be leak by the end of March when a game tester leaks the whole thing online.

I still hate this game's marketing. They hype up all these announcements of previous characters. We saw new characters at E3, that was it so far. Personally, I wish they would show more of the new characters they have floating around in the comics.