Guest character opinions

efelos

I dont know if there is a thread about this but I think no one is talking about this anymore so lets open this discussion again.

What are your opinions about the guest character?

My opinion is:

-Alex Mercer:Main protagonist of Prototype. His variations can be Blade, Whipfist and Hammerfist. Blade variation gives Alex Mercer the ability to transform his arm into a giant razor sharp cutting weapon, cutting his enemy and reflecting projectiles. Whipfist variation gives Alex Mercer to transform his arm into a appendange with a blade to catch enemies and cutting them again. Hammerfist variation gives Alex Mercer to transform his hands into massive, hammer like hands (gauntlets) which can crush his enemy and launch spikes from bottom.

X-Ray= Alex transforms his hands into Hammerfist and jumps to his enemy and crushes him/her. He catches the enemy, turns his arm into Blade and impales the enemy. When enemy is impaled, he gets the DNA of the enemy and transforms to him/her. Then he catches the enemy with Whipfist and crushes the enemy to ground very hard.

Alex Mercer Fatality: Alex transforms his arm into Whipfist and catches his opponent. Then he throws the enemy above. He catches him/her by impaling the blade on Whipfist and pulls the enemy to him. Then he immediately turns his arm into a blade and slices the enemy, splitting the enemy compeletely half. After he slices the enemy, he consumes the enemy and transforms into him/her.

What are your opinions?

My top candidate:

Predator - he fits flawlessly into MK gameplay. Net launcher, retractable wrist blades, extendable spear, smart-disk blade projectile, invisibility cloak... He already brings all the usable moves we need, and he can rip out spines better than anyone.

Don't have a million threads of these already? For me, I will be happy with Spawn in MKX. Todd Mcfarlane wanted Spawn in Injustice and Spawn fits better in a M rating fighting game then he does in a T rating fighting game. Not to mention Ed Boon admit on Twitter that Spawn in MKX would be a cool idea.

I'm not fond of guest characters. Yes, I can see how they can help the game's popularity by reaching out to other groups of fans of said character and such, but I have always seen it like them taking a spot that could have been given to another Mortal Kombat character - even if said character was planned from the very start.

On this very area, I can be rather purist, but it's not something I wish to dwell on and be bitter over. I remember when Freddy Krueger was announced for MK9, I was SO disappointed that I just lost it and made a complete fool of myself on the MKO forum. I've grown since, and though I don't like it, I have come to accept that its just how its going to be.

Instead I've tried to look into what characters I think could be potentially interesting and fun for me to have as guest characters. I'm not into Horror characters at all though, I don't think they're cool and I don't wish for them to be in MKX. However, characters from other popular games and game genres are more acceptable for me.

For example, it would be cool to see Orchid from Killer Instinct in it, as she is my favourite from KI. However, because KI is Xbone exclusive, she would probably only be on the Xbone version of MKX.

My opinion on guest characters? There shouldn't be any. More time should be focused on MK characters not retards that don't belong.

I don't want Jason since we had Freddy. I would be kinda mad if we got Jason in MKX since it would feel like a repeat of what we got in MK9 with Freddy. Guest characters don't take spots for MK characters since there's always room for more in sequels. Guest fighters are just extra gimmicks.

Guest characters are great. They bring in more fans, who bring in more money, which means bigger budgets for future NRS titles.

I wish we could have Predator in MKX. If it would have to be anyone from anything at all, give me a Predator. Next would be Deadpool. Call me a fanboy, but Deadpool would be a sweet guest character and make MK a neutral bridge for Marvel and DC.

Heck, how about this: Bigby Wolf. From Fables and The Wolf Among Us? He is from DC and Telltale games brought more fans with their game about him. Plus, he is the Big Bad Wolf.
episode2-bigby.png

Last edited:
Personally would prefer no guest characters, but seeing as that is unlikely, all I can do is hope for not complete retard guests.

Obviously the big rumored one, Predator, I feel would fit. He is violent enough, has enough variety in possible weapons/attacks, so much possibility with the character. But as Maximilian (the youtuber) said, there are some huge licensing issues there that make it very unlikely, unfortunately :(

If Microsoft/Rare wanted to give a Killer Instinct character as a guest for the xbox version that would be pretty ****ing sick IMO. They already have fatalities in KI so it wouldn't be like taking a SF fighter and putting them in MK.

I really would not like Jason in MK, I didnt even want Freddy in MK. However its not just that I dont want him because he doesnt fit, he honestly just doesnt work. MK is a relatively fast paced fighting game and Jason is not a fast paced character. If you were to just amp up Jason's speed that much it would look stupid. And to those who will say he can just be a slow grapple character, we've seen MKX's "slow grapple characters", Ferra/Torr, and they move waaaay faster than Jason would. He just wouldnt work, sorry guys.

Guest characters are great. They bring in more fans, who bring in more money, which means bigger budgets for future NRS titles.

Finally, someone who gets it. I don't love it from an MK fandom perspective, but if you want bigger and better games -- guess what, need more sales.

Mini-tangent alert:

Kills me when I see people say "I don't like this (small personal issue with a character's clothes, etc.), so I won't buy it" -- fine, your choice and your money -- but just know that the better the game sells, the more apt developers are to take chances, improve depth, and build on things like story and modes. The worse it sells, the more likely you are to end up with more rehashes of things you've already seen for 20 years (since that's what people buy due to familiarity), or even worse, the end of the series.

Doesn't mean you have to like everything or not give constructive criticism, for sure...but at the end of the day:

More sales = bigger budget = better games for everyone

Last edited:
I think Mad Max would be a bad idea in MKX since I feel like that he would be so out of place. Not to mention the new Mad Max movie is likely going to be PG-13 garbage anyways.

There aren't any console exclusive guests, as was confirmed (I think by Shaun Himmerick) a while ago, so I'm fine with guests being DLC.
I'll just get the DLC compatibility pack, as I did with MK9, and go on with my day.

Why all guest characters you think of are from another game genres? Imagine Chun Li or Jin in MK. Of course Capcom will never do this stuff, but Namco i believe can for some MK character for their next game, it almost a win/win situation.