Did you expect bigger changes when it comes to characters design?

Rider

I was thinking about this last few days and i wanted to ask did you guys expect bigger, more radical or drastic changes compared to the MK9 when it comes to the "old" characters design?

When i look at the Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kano, Goro and Quan Chi i can say that i expected more. It's not that i don't like them or anything like that i don't want anyone to get me wrong i just expected little more freedom from them when it comes to design. Specially Sub-Zero, Goro, Raiden and Scorpion.

Since we still don't have any "old" female character announced yet (yeah strange i know), i can't talk about that. But i expect more from the females.

I think it's probably a bad idea to change character designs too much. You want the characters to be fresh but still recognizable.

Not that NRS will ever do away with Raiden's hat, or change the color of Scorpion's costume...but I don't want to see a character that's been redesigned so much that I go "Wait, who is that supposed to be?" the first time I see them. (*cough*MK9Reptile*cough*)

I think that all of the returning characters look great, and are a VAST improvement over MK9.
The Kano, Raiden, Sub-Zero and Scorpion MKX versions seem to be inspired by the pre-MKvsDC ( aka MK8 ) character concepts, which look pretty awesome.
Quan Chi got the best remake out of all the returning characters in MKX, thus far, IMO.
I really love the green glowing skeleton hands popping out of Quan Chi's back, in the select screen.
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden and Kano have me hyped up for what Liu Kang, Sonya and Johnny Cage would look like in MKX, especially the latter 2, since with Ed Boon has constantly hinted at "aged variations."

Artistic freedom in video games was always limited in some form. Although new technology allows fewer barriers from a technical standpoint (although it didn't stop artists from 90s games to create beautiful works), there is still the business side to contend with. Developers have to deal with publishers and what they want. And then there is the audience, whose expectations may sway the artists away from their original vision if they complain enough.

Anyways, I never expected radical changes. I don't see what that will accomplish.... trying to be different for its own sake? While there are design overhauls that I like, I just don't think it's something that the devs should be forced to do every time. The stuff we seen so far, respects the original designs that made them them instantly recognizable.

Last edited:
I think it's probably a bad idea to change character designs too much. You want the characters to be fresh but still recognizable.

Not that NRS will ever do away with Raiden's hat, or change the color of Scorpion's costume...but I don't want to see a character that's been redesigned so much that I go "Wait, who is that supposed to be?" the first time I see them. (*cough*MK9Reptile*cough*)

THIS^ I'll try not to repeat much from this quote because i think bootzilla was pretty spot on...
I'm not sure what you were expecting but it's common sense really.
Radical changes aren't necessary unless you are re-inventing characters that nobody really cared for in previous games.
If it's not broken don't fix it.

As of Right now, Kano & Quan Chi are the most DRASTIC revamps for the characters. Kano has more of an overhaul. But all the characters look great. Scorpion and Sub Zero, even though they they have a nice "make over" you cant change them to much bc they are soo iconic!

So i am positive on how other returning and new characters will be taken care of!

I dig these "simpler" designs. Especially when I go back and play Deception and Armageddon, and Sub-Zero looks like Shredder, while Scorpion looked more like a samurai. I never hated those designs, but I prefer the Klassic, nostalgia feel, with some individuality when it comes to the ninjas. And Quan Chi really needed a new costume after he's gone like 6 games with the spiked sash, his new design has a badass MK4 vibe to it, and I like that. Raiden looks about how I would expect from him, which is always great, and Kano actually looks like he evolved with his cybernetics over time. I'm happy with these designs overall.

I'm expecting the returning female ninjas to have big changes. To be quite honest, they all looked very similar in MK9 (revealing outfits, thigh high heeled boots, loin cloths, criss-cross design on their chest, etc.).

kitana-mk9end2.png

We haven't seen any of the female ninjas yet, so I have my fingers crossed!

With the three females that we have so far, I'm liking the choice of style they gave them. You can have a woman look sexy without taking the skanky route.

Many people would always complain back against those who are complaining about the looks of Kitana and the rest of the Edenian girls that "their looks look like that probably because of where they're at. You know, because it's a fantasy realm and they can get away dressing like that." I hate it when people use this as a legit argument to fight back against those who don't like the Edenian females' outfits. I don't because they don't fit the character at all, especially Kitana. They're supposed to be assassins and they've never once struck out to me that they are. I even tend to forget that Kitana is a princess because she has never dressed like one. There's a way to make a princess assassin stand out to get both titles across to people. I've shown her 2011 appearance to several people who I know do not play Mortal Kombat at all and wouldn't recognize the most iconic characters and they too agree that Kitana looks nothing like an assassin nor does she resemble a princess.

I am totally respecting the designers of Cassie Cage right now because they didn't over do anything about her.... with the exception of that damn neck of hers. But still, they didn't have it where her suit randomly unzipped towards her breasts, she doesn't have anything that revealing on her, and hell, I really wouldn't be bothered that much if her secondary outfit showed more skin. They FINALLY got a character right in terms of defining who she is based on what she is wearing. She's obviously a militarized chick, and they managed to make her look like something out of an agency. I say this because Sonya, out of all the years that she has been around, has never once looked like she belong to the military. Again, with the Kitana problem, these guys do not design their females to make them represent what they actually are.

I think honestly the only two females that literally had designs that made me tell who they are were Frost and Ashrah. Frost looked like she belong to the Lin Kuei and Ashrah looked like she is a purified demon hunter. Granted that their secondaries did absolutely nothing for them in terms of representation, still.

In conclusion, yeah, I did expect big changes. I really wasn't happy with the designs of majority of the female cast and it's got nothing to do with them being skanky, I could care less about that part. (I'm playing a series that is aimed to more males than females) I just want to continue seeing characters, and it's not just the females either, wear outfits that shows who they are rather than just wearing an outfit that shows us what colors they're associated with. And yeah I said "it's not just the females either," despite that nowhere in my post mentions anything about the males and their choice of outfits, it's just that I have more of a problem when it comes to the females because they have more of a problem when it comes to figuring out who they're supposed to be with the stuff they're wearing than the males.

I probably rambles more than I should have and may not make any sense since it's 2:30 in the morning and I should probably get some sleep.

I don't expect major changes to the returning kast, I'm okay with tweaks here and there (like Scorpions hoodies and Kano's stoplight) but a complete overhaul...um, no. NRS shouldn't go that far. The new characters bring the developers the most liberty and it shows. I LOVE Kotal's overall design with the Aztec theme and the glowing tattoos, I also really like Cassie (whose design should've been Sonya's in the last game), D'vorah is pretty interesting while not my favorite out of the bunch, and Ferra/Torr==Master Blaster MK version, that's all I'm going to say about that duo.

However I would love to Scorpion with a human face in an alt. outfit.

As far as the females go, I do think they took it a tad too far last time, namely with Sonya. There was no way she could be viewed as military with that getup. The female ninjas however should stay sexy, but not to the point of Mileena's flesh pit "outfit". So hopefully MKX will be like Deception, where we had the best of both worlds- Ashrah, Kira, and Li Mei wore plenty to convey their seriousness while Jade, Tanya, and Mileena showed more than enough skin for the adolescent fanboys.

As of Right now, Kano & Quan Chi are the most DRASTIC revamps for the characters. Kano has more of an overhaul. But all the characters look great. Scorpion and Sub Zero, even though they they have a nice "make over" you cant change them to much bc they are soo iconic!

So i am positive on how other returning and new characters will be taken care of!

This^! Yes agreed, they did an awesome job, I needed to get used a little to Scorpions more streamlined costume I guess, but that was all, I cant wait to see the characters that I hope are in with these designs (Hoping for Reptile & Cyrax)

Imho the aproach they took with MKX is way more dark/realistic/grittier in a MK way offcourse.

Yesterday I looked up the first gameplay trailer of MK 9 and I realized how much better this game and less comical MKX truly is.

The only designs I like so far are Kotal Kahn's and Quan Chi's. Everything else is meh, but I didn't expect much to begin with.

Well I did kinda hope that they would finally make ninjas look like ninjas but nope. Over-exaggerated bodybuilders once again.

I'm expecting the returning female ninjas to have big changes. To be quite honest, they all looked very similar in MK9 (revealing outfits, thigh high heeled boots, loin cloths, criss-cross design on their chest, etc.).

kitana-mk9end2.png

We haven't seen any of the female ninjas yet, so I have my fingers crossed!

This! I agree with this so much!

Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden look the same, with some minor changes. However, I never expect much of them.

Kano got quite the make-over, which is cool... if it wasn't because NRS just took pieces of other characters and slapped onto him, such as Hsu Hao and Jax.

Quan Chi, however, looks awesome. A whole new outfit, yet still remniscent to his past outfits. It's in the same style, but still new. I love it.

Hopefully NRS will do the same with the other characters as they did with Quan Chi - keep the same style, but make a new outfit.

Last edited: