Decisions made by MK Team you hate

white_ninja

Don't get me wrong, guys, I love Mortal Kombat, I played every game. It's the best fighting game franchise ever. Eventually, because of knowing the franchise so well, there are some things which could have been better. My flaws with the MK team are these:

- Reptile's devolution into a big crocodile. I think that they should have stick to his human look with some reptilian elements. More the direction of his MKSM and MKA costume. Personally, I see Reptile covered with human skin which can be damaged (like Terminator) teasing his true race. I loved Reptile in MK2 and UMK3. His MK2 commercial appearance was great too.

- Going from palette swap ninjas to individual costumes. Don't get me wrong, I know that they had to develop the ninjas, but in MKDA, MKD and MKA they were just too different. Reptile became Killer Croc, Ermac a mummy, Smoke a cloud and Rain looked just awful. They also were too bulky for ninjas. Scorpion has bodybuilder arms in post MK4 games. The best balance between palette swaps and individuality was MK4 (counting Reptile's alternate outfit). They would look great with modern day graphics.

- Rushed MK3. MK3 was a great game with cool sounds, actors and story. But it feels like they wanted to release the game even without any iconic characters. This game lacked ninja actors (no Scorpion, Reptile and masked Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot is a black Kano) and Raiden or Johnny Cage. This is why they added the cyber ninjas Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor. Araknyd Commander said that Sheeva was supposed to be a playable Goro in MK3. This could have been awesome back then. Also the Animalities, which were not a bad idea, were made cheap. Most of them look the same, some of them ridiculous.

- Rushed UMK3 They wanted to upgrade the "beta-version MK3" by adding important characters like Scorpion, Reptile or Kitana. For me, UMK3 is the true third installment of the series and my 2D favorite (arcade version). Nevertheless I always felt like the added characters were unfinished. Their Animalities were more than lame, their Friendships too similar. Classic Sub-Zero had only his classic and censored spine rip Fatality. I still don't know why it was censored at all.

- Copycat characters. I think that MK4 has suffered the most. It could have been a very good MK game. Why did they add Jarek instead of Kano? Only because of "refreshing" the roster? Originally, Reiko should be playable Noob Saibot which has a great design in MK4. Reiko just looked for me like an unmasked Rain.

- Lack of finishing moves. I always loved the diversity in MK2 or UMK3, but in MKDA there is only one Fatality per character. More lame than this is MKA's Kreate-a-Fatality-system. Because of this amout of fighters they could not do a lot of finishers, but just one individual Fatality could have made this game much better. 1 Fatality + KAF possibility.

- Cyber Sub-Zero. Imagine how awesome it could have been if we had seen the original story with Smoke and Kuai Liang. After revenging his brother during MK2 Sub-Zero and Smoke would fight against the Lin Kuei with Smoke being captured. Sub-Zero would turn against his clan and fight unmasked. It would be great to see MK3 Sub-Zero meeting and fighting his old friend Smoke. Cyber Smoke would then help his friend to beat Cyrax and Sektor. I hate it what they have done to Sub-Zero. There was no need at all, he only had one fight with Scorpion and was turned into a refrigerator which still remembered his former self. If they kept Human Smoke alive it would make somehow sense, but he was killed directly after these events.

What do you think? Which decisions do you really hate? Do you share my opinion?

Last edited:
1. MKvDC.

2. Mokap. Just the worst character in the history of this franchise.

3. Introducing good new characters and then...forgetting they exist for years.

You pretty much said it all. I'm gonna to have to put a strong emphasis on Cyber Sub-Zero!

They ruined one of my favorite points in the MK storyline.

Id like to add to the Reptile devolution thing.
I feel like it was a great idea, they just had a really bad execution.
They could have kept his ninja look, then added to it....

Like a ninja Reptile with a tail ripping out of his back, and a wide open mouth with his tounge all hanging out and acid dripping down his face.
I don't know, i just feel like there could have been an awesome way to keep a balance between ninja and creature.

I think something like this could have worked.

reptilesnake.jpg

It's not the perfect example, but I like the idea of a half creature half ninja thing. And I feel like Reptile would work better if he was more influenced by snakes. I know Saurian's are part Dinosaur or whatever, but they haven't really explored much of that.

With the MK9 design, I feel like the issue was mostly in the head...
Why give him such stupid baby teeth? And what was up with his alternate costume? The mask had teeth...But they're not his normal teeth...Can anybody explain that to me?

Anyway, i'm sure this has been pointed out a lot, but it realllllly pisses me of that human Reptile wasn't used and instead we got those two abominations.
reptile___mk_artbook_by_soldier_cloud_strife-d50wq0f.jpg

Last edited:
I do not understand why they did not use this outfit for Reptile in MK9. It looks great. I really want a bad ass Reptile in MKX.

As for the whole Cyber Sub-Zero thing, I really wanted to see the proper MK1-MK3 story in motion picture because there hasn't been such a possibility back in the 90th.

Multiple character variations: Been done in form of fighting styles. It sucked.

Create A Fatality: Lazy or due to time constraints who knows.

I'm going with Cyber Sub-Zero.

Not only did it make Raiden and the other heroes look like arseholes it also just made smoke look really bad (in the old timeline Smoke and Sub-Zero fought Sektor and Cyrax together).

Next, it made Smoke an utterly useless character. The only thing he had going for him in the original timeline was tragedy. You could tell Smoke had nothing to do in MK9. He really was just kinda there. Being turned into a cyborg was his schtick. Now he has nothing.

It ruined Kuai Liang. Period. All that development down the drain.

I have this horrible feeling it's about to ruin Noob Saibot just to reignite a feud between Sub-Zero and Scorpion.

3 characters ruined by one dumb mistake. Yeah, cyber sub-zero is the worst decision in MK's lore period.

Last edited:
- Going from palette swap ninjas to individual costumes. Don't get me wrong, I know that they had to develop the ninjas, but in MKDA, MKD and MKA they were just too different. Reptile became Killer Croc, Ermac a mummy, Smoke a cloud and Rain looked just awful. They also were too bulky for ninjas. Scorpion has bodybuilder arms in post MK4 games. The best balance between palette swaps and individuality was MK4 (counting Reptile's alternate outfit). They would look great with modern day graphics.

Well, other franchises like Street Fighter had pallette swap shotos, then they also individualized them with seperate moves and costumes, etc.

Still waiting for a Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat (shotosVSninjas)

Still waiting for a Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat (shotosVSninjas)

I never want to see a crossover MK game again. MK vs DC was enough.

I understand that they had to develop the ninjas by giving them individual costumes but starting with MKDA they are just too different.

mk4_scorpion.jpg

szversus_copia.gif

repmk4_1.jpg

noob_saibot_mk4_by_icehunt7-d66trqa.jpg

Imagine how such a design would look like with nextgen graphics.

I also loved ninja outfits in the first MK movie. This would look great:

016_Sub_zero_MK_movie.png

1 ) 60+ characters in Armageddon and Armageddon (in general)
2 ) Zombie Kang
3 ) Cyber Sub-Zero
4 ) MK vs DC
5 ) Frost, Jarek and other copy-cat characters
6 ) Gamespy server for MK9
7 ) Making Rain DLC for MK9 - (I'm not going to debate this issue / fallacy any further than I already have, so don't bother.)
8 ) Killing off a shit-load of characters in MK9 in 1 scene with Sindel, to lazily make roster space for MKX, rather than spacing out the deaths or having them better explained.
9 ) Cut-point Fatality system in MK9
10 ) Nerfing Sub-Zero's Ground Ice move in MK9, and essentially making useless for combos.

Cyber Sub-Zero.

Rain as DLC (Especially since he's actually pretty good in MK9.)

Nightwolf's entire MK9 chapter.

MK vs DCU.

Move copying Kharacters, like Shunjinko.

Most Kharacter designs from MKDA-MKA

Reptile has been a joke Kharacter ever since his MK4 ending.

And I do agree with you about MK4 handling the pallette swapped ninjas the best. MKX seems to be doing a pretty good job there so far.

1.MKvsDC
2.Cyber Sub-Zero
3.Human Reptile (i just never understood his name is Reptile but he's not a Reptile?)
4.No guest character for MK9 on Xbox

My only real disappointment was the unoriginal fatalities in Armageddon. Tbh I actually liked the copycat characters (to an extent) and I hate that most won't make it. The large roster size was ok, but they should've atleast given each character 1 fatality.

3.Human Reptile (i just never understood his name is Reptile but he's not a Reptile?)

Tell me more how Scorpion is a real scorpion, Kobra a real cobra, Sheeva a Hindu God or Nightwolf a real wolf.

Have you ever seen Reptile's MK2 and UMK3 Fatalities?

Yeah, I know, don't feed the troll... ing roaster.

I think a choice I hated was them shunning Drahmin. I know, it isn't as big a deal as Cyber SZ or Reptile's constant change. To me, Drahmin has a great costume design, story, and could potentially be so interesting. However, since he was rushed, they decided he cannot be repaired. To me, that is pretty unfair.

Game cross overs/ alternate universes
Mk Armageddon
Create a fatality
Cyber sub zero
Reptile devolution
Repetitive copy cat fatalities
Overall stale storyline
Dead characters for 20 years, are they or aren't they?