A Select Screen Idea

meathook

I was looking at the select screen in the gameplay videos, and I realized it would be cool if it was darker in the back, so when you select a character, it would emerge from shadows, and it would also eliminate that illusion that the unselected character is much smaller than the selected one.

Sorry, I'd rather keep the snow forest in the background.

I really like the select screen this time around. Dark and moody because of the forest. The awesome animations each character has when they are selected and when both players choose their variation. Even something as simple as the font looks perfect. I hope they don't change it.

The character select screen is the worst one they have done. Everyother seems to elude a bit to the characters personality. This one looks like WWE 2k14

The character select screen is the worst one they have done. Everyother seems to elude a bit to the characters personality. This one looks like WWE 2k14

Explain to me how MK9's ugly-ass select screen renders show more personality than the walk-in/players-ready character animations on MKX's select screen.

You are trolling right? :/
MK9 had by far the worst imo.
WWE2k14 doesn't even compare to how excellent MKX select screen is.

Anyway i hope everyone realises that it won't stay exactly the same until the release date... The snow forest will not be the permanent character select background, it will most likely change.
Whether or not it will change depending on which stage your kombatant will fight on in the first match is a strong possibility...

I want to see every character to have their own background on the select screen instead of constant Lin Kuei Forest.
Scorpion & Quan Chi should have Netherealm behind them, Kano some prison, Raiden thunder clouds etc - to add to their personalities.

Anyway i hope everyone realises that it won't stay exactly the same until the release date... The snow forest will not be the permanent character select background, it will most likely change.

I don't see why.
MK9's select screen was the same from the announcement to the release.

Does anybody know if Injustice did the same as well?

Anyway, that leads me to another thing...Why would NRS trick people into thinking the roster only has 24 slots?
Every single reveal video has at least 20+ people in the comments talking about how "24 isn't enough characters".
I'm not asking you specifically, i just don't understand why they would intentionally do that.
It can't be helping sales...

I don't see why.
MK9's select screen was the same from the announcement to the release.

Does anybody know if Injustice did the same as well?

Anyway, that leads me to another thing...Why would NRS trick people into thinking the roster only has 24 slots?
Every single reveal video has at least 20+ people in the comments talking about how "24 isn't enough characters".
I'm not asking you specifically, i just don't understand why they would intentionally do that.
It can't be helping sales...

That's is true but i think they might change it up slightly if anything
(I have no problem with the current select screen, in my opinion it's worlds better than M9 as it is... it's dark and that's what i wanted not some pussy red vibrant hue.)

About the roster..i agree with you there, most hardcore fans would think a bit differently though. They know NRS has a good track record when it comes to secrets/surprises/unlockable characters. Besides the DLC is meant to quite plentyful this time round so we are probably looking at roughly the same amount of characters all up maybe more..

I think the character selection looks fine. None of the MK games had a selection to me where I thought "That character select screen looks terrible".

Explain to me how MK9's ugly-ass select screen renders show more personality than the walk-in/players-ready character animations on MKX's select screen.
They aren't all looking monged out for a start. I refer to the heads, not the walk in bit.
You are trolling right? :/
MK9 had by far the worst imo.
WWE2k14 doesn't even compare to how excellent MKX select screen is.

Whether or not it will change depending on which stage your kombatant will fight on in the first match is a strong possibility...
Its exactly the same idea with different effect.

The MKX screen is terrible. The walking in bit at the top is cool, but the faces grinning on the bottom looks crap. I liked MK9's character select screen. I can't believe I am typing about the goddamn character select screen. I need to go on holiday and so do the rest of you.

Last edited:
I never really judge something so minuscule. It looks fine to me.

I feel complaining about this is as bad as complaining how Noob Saibot's name is announced "Noob Saibot" while just "Noob" is on his health bar.

No joke, that's an actual complaint from 2011.

The only thing I don't like about it is there needs to be another row of 12 or they could add 2 to each row

For a total of 42
32 Unlocked from the Start
2 Unlockable
8 DLC

I'm greedy but that is what we all want deep down inside

This is the best select screen we've gotten in a long time. Idk what everyone is getting twitchy about. MK9's was horrible.

I never really judge something so minuscule. It looks fine to me.

I feel complaining about this is as bad as complaining how Noob Saibot's name is announced "Noob Saibot" while just "Noob" is on his health bar.

No joke, that's an actual complaint from 2011.

LOL. Let's not get into how Jade didn't have a name in the lifebar in MK2. To be fair, back then it added to the whole secret character thing and the whole mystery and awe of it all.

MK Ecks's select screen reminds me of MK1 through UMK3 select sceens where when you pick the character, they go to their win poses and such. Can't remember if MK4 had this...

MK9's select screen was garbage.
Shitty music, background and portraits.

MKX's I actually really like. And I imagine that it is exactly like Injustice. Where the background of the select screen matches the background of the randomly selected stage. They probably just haven't implemented the random part yet, so it's always stuck on Snow Forest.

LOL. Let's not get into how Jade didn't have a name in the lifebar in MK2. To be fair, back then it added to the whole secret character thing and the whole mystery and awe of it all.

If anyone had a problem with that back in Mortal Kombat 2, I don't pity them. I'm glad they didn't have her name in the lifebar because how you said, it brought mystery to the secret fight.

But the one thing I truly miss with these select screens is what Mortal Kombat 4 did when choosing their costumes. I liked that.

Am I the only one that didn't really like the DLC choosing in 2011's screen where a new tab opened? Seeing how people really hated when you choose Freddy, choosing "hidden" and then going towards the DLC list, people knew you were gonna choose him because the DLC tab slide opened and I didn't like that.

Should they have like a new row just added maybe on top of or underneath the current roster when they're available?

Remember Deceptions select screen? It would show their alternate costume plus that music?! Soooooo good.

I think MKX's finally beats that one as the best select screen.