PAX Prime Gamespot Interview - Johnny Cage confirmed?

I read it...
Ed Boon would NOT confirm Kano, Sonya, Cage, and Liu Kang all at the same time.
Boon could have said something about classic characters having "aged variations".
Then they jumped to conclusions.

Anyway, when the interviewer asks whether or not Kotal Kahn is important, he replies...
"everybody's important!" I'm really hoping they stick to that.

He confirmed Sonya and Johnny. Already said so at gamescom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89qTYFkJO-4

Did baraka and mileena ever really have a romance? I remember a CG trailer with them fighting on one of the older games.

No idea, but I think that the combination of them two makes the most sense.

I mean... who else could Baraka possibly bang? If not Mileena then a new character for sure.

Or the other way around... who else could Mileena bang? Scorpion? Hell no. He doesn't even want her teddy, let alone pussy. LOL

And I doubt Shao Kahn would bang her himself. That would be... too much even for MK.

I noticed that as well.

Not to be a Nit Picking A**hole, but when asked if;
Q: "Can you fight her as Johnny Cage?"
A: "Uh yeah you could!"

Pretty much this is a confirmation, but he said COULD, NOT CAN!

Doesn't the "could" in Ed's statement mean something like, "Oh, you could fight Cassie as Johnny if we put him in." 'Could' doesn't necessarily confirm anything, it would have to be 'should.'

Ed (example): Uh, yeah, you should!

General example: I could go to the store.
This by no means I will go to the store. Get my drift?

No idea, but I think that the combination of them two makes the most sense.

I mean... who else could Baraka possibly bang? If not Mileena then a new character for sure.

Or the other way around... who else could Mileena bang? Scorpion? Hell no. He doesn't even want her teddy, let alone pussy. LOL

And I doubt Shao Kahn would bang her himself. That would be... too much even for MK.
Lol, you're right about that. it would be a nice match. I like Mileena though. I like how she had a child like immature mind and how crazy she was. She ended up being my favorite character in mk9 because of that. That's why this mileena could never be ruler of outworld. the original mileena was smart and deceptive. So maybe she'll be back, and we can see some growth and maturity.

Why are people acting so surprised?
He was one of the only heroes to survive MK9, and was a main character in the story. Why wouldn't he be in the next game?

I guess having Cassie mean fans assume that Johnny Cage and Sonya won't be back.

:laugh: that was too easy, but I was laughing with his "yup".

Also, did you notice he said that the tiger "could get angry sometimes"?

Animality (for real)?

Really dont think your going to see johnny or sonya, aside from cameos in story mode, the guy said COULD its hardly confirmation, but if they are I wouldn't mind, though they would have to be drastically different from cassie....

Long ass post:

I am utterly surprised as the amount of angry people coming out after hearing these partial confirmations of both Johnny Cage and Sonya. I mean, I don't get it at all as to how anyone could be this upset that we have three characters who are a family to be thrown into this game when we've had a family of four be in a lot together.

A lot say it's because it wastes space in the roster. First off, we still have no clue how many characters we are getting. The only thing that has been said enough times is that the roster is to be similar to 2011's roster. S-I-M-I-L-A-R, not confirming anything about an official number, so we could either see more or less than the number of characters from that game for this game. Three out of twenty/thirty-something character obviously is a lot of people to handle unfortunately. But clearly, Kitana, Sindel, Mileena, Jade and Kahn weren't a lot. (I inserted Jade despite I know she's not related, but a childhood friend could be considered family to people.) Three characters versus five. Yeah, okay.

But another problem is that I've seen so many argue about how it wastes space because THEIR favorites have yet to be announced. I know that a lot are begging for Tanya, Reiko, and Fujin to make an appearance so badly in this game, but for Christ's sake, you're really going to go out of your way to insult fans of other characters because your favorites have yet to be mentioned? Two characters kinda announced that will be making appearances who has a lot of sense being in this game is really that bad to some people because they're dying to hear their favorites make it to the cut? Come on.

It's getting to a point where people are even asking for these two to have some sort of skin for a character so that they don't waste space. Are you kidding me? The developers have never made a character to have a skin for another character just for the sake of having that person in this game. Let's say, had Rain not be included in for DLC and was made as a skin for one of the other "ninja" characters, I'm sure so many would be protesting the crap out of that decision. So what is so different about Johnny Cage and Sonya being included? Why should they be left out?

Oh, it's because we have Cassie... Yeah, another reason that pisses me off. There have been characters that have shared moves, but obviously Cassie has her own variety of moves that are combined abilities from Sonya and Cage. The only move that is nearly identical is the nutpunch, and even with that move, she has her own spin to it. As in, she uses both hands to punch them. But because we have her, this clearly says to a lot that her parents are not needed. Why though? Why shouldn't her parents be in this game because of her? Clearly they'll all play differently, we don't have two characters that plays exactly the same every game. They're going to be different. But because of this one character, it's a problem.

You can obviously tell I hate it when people start playing the "wasted space" game, because no reason you give is going to convince me that particular character you're upset made it in wasted a space. You're just upset that your favorite has yet to be announced, which I find completely funny. Why do I find it funny? Because they're obviously taking their sweet, sweet time in releasing things to the public seeing how the last game everything got leaked. I'm sure they would have done things the same way they're doing with this game had 2011 never got leaked. People are too impatient and because it seems like they're releasing the classics first before anything else, people are begging and dying to see the three characters I've mentioned earlier. There's no need to be impatient so badly when we still have at least seven more months of pre-production. They're taking their time, which is a good thing. I'd rather have them take their time with this game, make it as a good as they can get to, and release information at the pace they want to take it rather than having to see a rushed game be made to please all the impatient folks and have it be like another Armageddon.

I know this seems like a huge rant, but I just don't get people some times. And I will bet to you, all of you, that at least some of these angry folks will do a complete 180 and like Johnny and Sonya the moment we have an official trailer for them showing off what they'll be doing in this game. I can guarantee you some people will turn around and like them.

*Sighs* End rant. :bird:

Too long, didn't read: People are angry when they shouldn't. Stop it.

Last edited:
Idk why people are even having a problem with it. They survived MK9 it should have been well known that they'd be in. They may be washing their hands with ALL the 3D era characters to make new ones. I wonder how people will act then.

Yeah. I mean, give me a reason why Johnny and Sonya shouldn't be in this game. They survived MK9, they're alive. The story even picks off where MK9 left off. Like... you can't get better continuity than that.

And Cassie? Well, my first reaction was perhaps similar if not the same - what the hell is that? I honestly didn't expect it. But then I started thinking about it and guess what? I don't give a damn anymore and am glad she'll be in - for 4 reasons:
a) she plays nothing like Sonya or Johnny
b) we've had family characters from the start
c) the Johnny/Sonya romance can be put to rest
d) she's a new character

So no, if they won't abuse this brothers, sisters, cousins, sons and daughters thing - aka the roster won't include just relatives, I don't mind.

a) she plays nothing like Sonya or Johnny

Okay iv read this quite a few times, so id like to point out....

She uses Sonya's kiss of death move and Johnny's nut punch.
They DO play alike. There's obviously a bunch of differences between all three of them.
But to say she plays NOTHING like her parents? that's kinda pushing it.

I mean, two of her variations were made as homages to Sonya and Johnny.
That's not to say they play exactly the same, but it's not like they were completely 100% original.

I think most people are forgetting that this Mortal Kombat is suppose to pave the way for the next generation of fighters.
Cassie Cage was CLEARLY made to fill in the gap left by Johnny and Sonya when they are no longer around.
So it only makes sense for her to play a little like her parents...

BTW...I'm not saying that Johnny and Sonya should be left out.
I'm not saying that Cassie plays too much like her parents.
And i'm not trying to "debate" or whatever.

In fact, I really want Johnny on the roster...Those variations would be intense.

I'm just saying, i think Cassie was made as a replacement for her parents.
Not to replace them this time around, but in the future.

Last edited:
I guess having Cassie mean fans assume that Johnny Cage and Sonya won't be back.

It's a dumb assumption, given that she has NONE of their signature special moves.
Just more herp derp.

She uses Sonya's kiss of death move and Johnny's nut punch.
They DO play alike. There's obviously a bunch of differences between all three of them.
But to say she plays NOTHING like her parents? that's kinda pushing it.

I mean, two of her variations were made as homages to Sonya and Johnny.
That's not to say they play exactly the same, but it's not like they were completely 100% original

She doesn't have Sonya's Kiss Of Death.
Cassie uses a spray can and a lighter.
Spray can + lighter =/= Kiss Of Death.
The ONLY thing she has is Johnny's X-Ray.
She plays nothing like them.

The only thing that those variations do is pay visual hommage to her parents, but I have yet to see anything that resembles Johnny or Sonya in those variations, gameplay-wise.
Her Spec Ops is actually more of a Styrker clone with baton, guns and bombs, which Sonya never uses, and her Hollywood variation has glowing hands and sunglasses, but she has none of Johnny's signature moves.
Inspired by =/= cloned, moves.
People do know the difference, right?
Clone = exact copy, as in Frost stealing the Ice Puddle and Ice Slide.
Inspired = Frost having the Ground Freeze inspired by Sub-Zero's Ice Ball.
I've been watching the videos of her variations, and I just don't get the various claims of Cassie having cloned moves.

Plus, Ed also said this in the IGN interview, which everybody just chooses to completely ignore:

"....the inclusion of characters like Cassie Cage in no way means her parents Johnny and Sonya won't be playable, as he reckons interaction between parents and their offspring is one of the most exciting possibilities of such a wide timeframe, the focus here is very much on new blood."

Long ass post:

I am utterly surprised as the amount of angry people coming out after hearing these partial confirmations of both Johnny Cage and Sonya. I mean, I don't get it at all as to how anyone could be this upset that we have three characters who are a family to be thrown into this game when we've had a family of four be in a lot together.

A lot say it's because it wastes space in the roster. First off, we still have no clue how many characters we are getting. The only thing that has been said enough times is that the roster is to be similar to 2011's roster. S-I-M-I-L-A-R, not confirming anything about an official number, so we could either see more or less than the number of characters from that game for this game. Three out of twenty/thirty-something character obviously is a lot of people to handle unfortunately. But clearly, Kitana, Sindel, Mileena, Jade and Kahn weren't a lot. (I inserted Jade despite I know she's not related, but a childhood friend could be considered family to people.) Three characters versus five. Yeah, okay.

But another problem is that I've seen so many argue about how it wastes space because THEIR favorites have yet to be announced. I know that a lot are begging for Tanya, Reiko, and Fujin to make an appearance so badly in this game, but for Christ's sake, you're really going to go out of your way to insult fans of other characters because your favorites have yet to be mentioned? Two characters kinda announced that will be making appearances who has a lot of sense being in this game is really that bad to some people because they're dying to hear their favorites make it to the cut? Come on.

It's getting to a point where people are even asking for these two to have some sort of skin for a character so that they don't waste space. Are you kidding me? The developers have never made a character to have a skin for another character just for the sake of having that person in this game. Let's say, had Rain not be included in for DLC and was made as a skin for one of the other "ninja" characters, I'm sure so many would be protesting the crap out of that decision. So what is so different about Johnny Cage and Sonya being included? Why should they be left out?

Oh, it's because we have Cassie... Yeah, another reason that pisses me off. There have been characters that have shared moves, but obviously Cassie has her own variety of moves that are combined abilities from Sonya and Cage. The only move that is nearly identical is the nutpunch, and even with that move, she has her own spin to it. As in, she uses both hands to punch them. But because we have her, this clearly says to a lot that her parents are not needed. Why though? Why shouldn't her parents be in this game because of her? Clearly they'll all play differently, we don't have two characters that plays exactly the same every game. They're going to be different. But because of this one character, it's a problem.

You can obviously tell I hate it when people start playing the "wasted space" game, because no reason you give is going to convince me that particular character you're upset made it in wasted a space. You're just upset that your favorite has yet to be announced, which I find completely funny. Why do I find it funny? Because they're obviously taking their sweet, sweet time in releasing things to the public seeing how the last game everything got leaked. I'm sure they would have done things the same way they're doing with this game had 2011 never got leaked. People are too impatient and because it seems like they're releasing the classics first before anything else, people are begging and dying to see the three characters I've mentioned earlier. There's no need to be impatient so badly when we still have at least seven more months of pre-production. They're taking their time, which is a good thing. I'd rather have them take their time with this game, make it as a good as they can get to, and release information at the pace they want to take it rather than having to see a rushed game be made to please all the impatient folks and have it be like another Armageddon.

I know this seems like a huge rant, but I just don't get people some times. And I will bet to you, all of you, that at least some of these angry folks will do a complete 180 and like Johnny and Sonya the moment we have an official trailer for them showing off what they'll be doing in this game. I can guarantee you some people will turn around and like them.

*Sighs* End rant. :bird:

Too long, didn't read: People are angry when they shouldn't. Stop it.

I'm not angry. Also, my reasons for not wanting Johnny or Sonya isn't because my favorite hasn't been announced. That's not the point at all. In fact, I'd be fine if they showed up and my favorite didn't. Worse things in the world can happen.

Sure, Cassie might be different but all her moves come from Johnny and Sonya in some way. 'Hollywood' 'Spec Ops' its obvious that their daughter has a combination of their abilities. Her upward kick kind of reflects on Johnny's shadow kick and Sonya's upwards bicycle kick. Also notice the green aura around her that Johnny has. Honestly, its a great to carry on Johnny and Sonya through this way in terms of next gen.

I think saving space is a great idea. Combining Johnny/Sonya in to Cassie is a great idea and how could saving space be bad? Again, it has nothing to do with bettering the chances of my personal favorite making it in. Its about saving space for new characters, and returning characters (like MK4-MKD era) that fit the story and get a modern adaptation.

(To be honest, it kind of seems like Cassie's purpose to carry on Johnny and Sonya's legacy, hence the phrase "next generation of fighters". Not all characters are going to have children obviously. Kano returns just aged in the next gen. I'm sure we'll see how characters carry on in different ways as more is announced.)

It really seems like you're the only person angry about this, sorry. But anyways, yeah, if Johnny and Sonya were revealed than of course I'd turn around and accept the idea. They're no losing here, really.
We get Johnny/Sonya - awesome, they're back.
We don't - awesome, clever idea to combine them in to Cassie, (plus more space is good for newness)

No one should cry if their favorite(s) doesn't make it. That would be ridiculous considering how much (including the potential of much needed newness) this game has going for it so far.

The only thing that those variations do is pay visual hommage to her parents, but I have yet to see anything that resembles Johnny or Sonya in those variations, gameplay-wise.

Did you read my whole post?

""I mean, two of her variations were made as homages to Sonya and Johnny.
That's not to say they play exactly the same, but it's not like they were completely 100% original.""

I said they don't play exactly the same
Cassie's shadow punches =/= Johnny's shadow kicks
Cassie's shadow punches =/= 100% original

You really think Cassie's shadow punches don't resemble Johnny's shadow kicks?
Or that her little "spray-can, lighter" move doesn't resemble the kiss of death?

Definition of "resemble"

-have qualities or features, especially those of appearance, in common with (someone or something)

You really think Cassie's shadow punches don't resemble Johnny's shadow kicks?
Or that her little "spray-can, lighter" move doesn't resemble the kiss of death?

Definition of "resemble"

-have qualities or features, especially those of appearance, in common with (someone or something)

Not at all.
2 totally different moves.
Punching and kicking =/= the same.
Sure, they are both hits, but don't just tell me that punching and kicking = the same, because they're not.
Spray can + lighter =/= Kiss Of Death.

Appearance and the nut punch X-Ray are the ONLY 2 things that seems to resemble Johnny and Sonya.
With Ed saying that Cassie would be able to do fatalities on relatives, Adam Urbano hinting at Johnny, Ed Boon hinting at Johnny and Sonya being in in the IGN interview, Ed Boon hinting again at Johnny and Sonya in MKX with older characters having variations for their older selves and Sonya and Johnny being the surviving heroes of MK9, I don't see how they're NOT playable.

The only thing that Ed Boon and NRS HAVEN'T done is flat-out said "They're in."
They're pretty much confirmed in.

Last edited:
I have no idea why you're trying to convince me Johnny/Sonya will be playable.
I never said they wouldn't be..

Anyway, i'm done running in circles lol.
We disagree. that's that.

With that aside, i'm curious to see the development of Johnny Cage over 25 years.
Id rather see a more mature Johnny. Not as extreme as his MK9 ending though.
I have a feeling that wont end up happening..