Console systems that "died" on you.

@ FlawlessVictor: You're right. I'd at least want the following to be re-released in the Classic Games section...

- MK4-MKA

- X-Men: Next Dimension

- Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects

- Bloody Roar 4

- King of Fighters IX

Publishers need a monetary incentive to re-release games in the first place. Thus, getting a free digital version of the game using your original disc is not going to work out. If you own a VHS version of The Godfather, you still have to buy the Blu-ray version if you want it.

First, I can go out and buy a DVD / VHS combo recorder deck for $80 and a spindle of DVDs for $10, and transfer a shit-load of VHS cassettes to DVD.

Secondly, VHS and Blu-Ray are 2 completely different machine systems, whereas if I put a DVD into a Blu-Ray player, the reader will play the DVD.

While it can it can be pain to have to buy another copy, it's better than not having any available. Since most of the money spend on development has already been done, they don't need to sell them at the original retail price.

I understand, but I can do it with music already (and movies with digital downloads that come with DVDs and Blu-Rays these days) and if I have a music CD that I put into iTunes, I can just import it and listen to it on my iPhone.
I don't have to rebuy it, which is the business model that I'm getting at.
Why are games the exception?
It's paying the developer / publisher twice.

I understand it 100% from a developers perspective (more money), but I'm talking about the consumer perspective.

Last edited:
First, I can go out and buy a DVD / VHS combo recorder deck for $80 and a spindle of DVDs for $10, and transfer a shit-load of VHS cassettes to DVD.

Dude i know you were talking to Flawless, but Taking your VHS, and copying it to a DVD. Doesn't magically make your VHS quality DVD quality.

Unless you don't care and want to watch crappy VHS quality in a DVD system.

IF that's the case you still can't compare it to video games because that's a simple RIP and plug.

a re-release has many factors like aspect ratio to account for that isn't just a easy swap over.

Dude i know you were talking to Flawless, but Taking your VHS, and copying it to a DVD. Doesn't magically make your VHS quality DVD quality.

Unless you don't care and want to watch crappy VHS quality in a DVD system.

First of all, I was talking about not having to rebuy the movies again, not improving quality, so that argument is null.
I never said or implied that it magically turns the VHS to DVD quality.

Uh, that's essentially what you do when you put a PS1 disc in a PS3.
PS3 doesn't magically make it better.
You just get to play your PS1 disc, without having to re-buy a PS1.

IF that's the case you still can't compare it to video games because that's a simple RIP and plug.

a re-release has many factors like aspect ratio to account for that isn't just a easy swap over.

Yes I can, because that's essentially what you do with BC consoles with older games.
Playing the old games on the new console.

I never said anything about a re-release, so I don't know why you even bother mentioning it.

First of all, I was talking about not having to rebuy the movies again, not improving quality, so that argument is null.
I never said or implied that it magically turns the VHS to DVD quality.

Uh, that's essentially what you do when you put a PS1 disc in a PS3.
PS3 doesn't magically make it better.
You just get to play your PS1 disc, without having to re-buy a PS1.

Yes I can, because that's essentially what you do with BC consoles with older games.
Playing the old games on the new console.

I never said anything about a re-release, so I don't know why you even bother mentioning it.

Um.. I put the other option within my post Just in case.. but you ignored that part. Because I predicted you probably MENT that it was VHS quality on DVD.

Point is, you still had to BUY a DVD and BUY something to transfer the data over to the DVD disk.

When it comes to PS1 going to a PS3 game. to make a console backwards compatible they need to add extra hardware which costs money.

Um.. I put the other option within my post Just in case.. but you ignored that part. Because I predicted you probably MENT that it was VHS quality on DVD.

Point is, you still had to BUY a DVD and BUY something to transfer the data over to the DVD disk.

When it comes to PS1 going to a PS3 game. to make a console backwards compatible they need to add extra hardware which costs money.

I replied to your part in the 2nd sentence, which you chose to ignore.

$80 for a VHS / DVD combo deck + $10 for a spindle of 100 DVDs =/= $20 per DVD, which is what Flawless was aiming at.
You OBVIOUSLY have to buy something, but it's not nearly the cost of rebuying everything, which is my point.
IF PS4 was BC, getting PS4 for new games and playing old games =/= buying all of your old games again.
Your math is wrong.

I know that which is why I said "I wish," in my first reply to Flawless, which you obviously either missed or chose to ignore, in your quest of trying to invalidate my reply.

I jsut wish I could do a 1 time thing where I insert my PS2 or PS3 discs into the PS4 and get a digital version of that game.

wish I could
wish I could
wish I could
wish I could

I replied to your part in the 2nd sentence, which you chose to ignore.

$80 for a VHS / DVD combo deck + $10 for a spindle of 100 DVDs =/= $20 per DVD, which is what Flawless was aiming at.
You OBVIOUSLY have to buy something, but it's not nearly the cost of rebuying everything, which is my point.
IF PS4 was BC, getting PS4 for new games and playing old games =/= buying all of your old games again.
Your math is wrong.

I know that which is why I said "I wish," in my first reply to Flawless, which you obviously either missed or chose to ignore, in your quest of trying to invalidate my reply.

No I didn't say it costed us MORE, I was assuming you were looking for a free Ride. That's MY bad. Becuase I thought you just wanted to "plug" your PS1 game into a PS4. And be good to go.

I didn't know you accounted for the BC costs.

But surely you understand why BC isn't used anymore as not enough gamers like you or myself still hold our old game copies for them to make a bunch of versions of BC models.

If there was money in it. I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

But surely you understand why BC isn't used anymore as not enough gamers like you or myself still hold our old game copies for them to make a bunch of versions of BC models.

If there was money in it. I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

I'm replying to this part, because it's like you didn't read what I had just posted (bottom of post #22), right before that, saying:

I understand it 100% from a developers perspective (more money), but I'm talking about the consumer perspective.

They obviously want to take that feature out to make the consoles cheaper to make, but I'm just wishing that it wasn't that way, as a consumer.

*Sigh*

I'm replying to this part, because it's like you didn't read what I had just posted (bottom of post #22), right before that, saying:

They obviously want to take that feature out to make the consoles cheaper to make, but I'm just wishing that it wasn't that way, as a consumer.

*Sigh*

Yeah I missed that, thanks for reposting. I only read your first half response on that post.

I like backwards compatibility, although it doesn't ensure my games are playable in the long run. When my PS1 games can no longer be read by my console, I'll be forced to get another copy one way or another. What I'm really interested in is for older games to be in circulation for newer consoles.

My PS1 recently bit the dust about 2 years ago, it was the original model. Still havnt replaced it cause I have PS2, but how I do miss that riginal start up screen.

My black Gamecube died, so I got a new silver one.

And my Wii - I mean my Project M machine stopped working, so I bought a cheap used one.

And I sold my 360 before it had a chance to die, but we all know how those always seem to die.

Still got my original 1996 N64 working in perfect condition though, want to keep it that way.

Last edited:
My first console to quit was my ps2...every other console previous was a beast for me ...nes,snes,genesis,game gear, Sega cd, 32x,psx,n64. .. The next console to quit repeatedly was the 360..went through 6-7 of them before I decided it was time to end that relationship...my 3 ps3's and my ps4 are doing well currently

Sega Genesis- when my cousin spilled soda all over it while I was playing the first Sonic the Hedgehog game. Circa 1995.

PS3- burned out last year while I was playing gta5. I've since replaced it.

Actually,
At the moment, My PS3 is apparently...'Broken'.
I dropped it while cleaning 2 weeks ago and it wont even turn on anymore.

-I moved out last year and was in a hurry and couldn't go back..So I left my 2 Gamecubes there, guess I can consider them both dead.

-Let my friend borrow one of my Nintendo DS', got it back with only one of the screens still attached.