Kotal's skin color?

Kotal Kahn

Some people have brought up that it appears Kotal is actually wearing paint (the green color on him), or something in that sort. In my opinion, it does look like paint. However, how would light (Kotal's body markings) shine through paint?

I doubt that it's paint. If it was, it would probably smear or fade as part of his battle damage.

Think Ancient Ogre of the Tekken series.

It's not paint.

That's a bit different, though. Unlike Ogre, the green color on Kotal Kahn has some cracks and holes in it, which reveals a brown coloration beneath it. On his upper-left cheek, it appears to be actually peeling, allowing you to see even more of the brown coloration.

I'm not saying it's paint or anything. I honestly don't know, but it's just a theory some people brought up.

That's based on mesoamerican tattoos, the scars on the skin were more visible than nowadays. They lighten depending on the variation.

Yep. I've looked at him pretty closely and noticed he looks a bit "crusty". Looks like some sort of paint to me as well.
As far as light shining through the paint goes..hes a god. God of the sun. He can do whatever he wants lol

Yep. I've looked at him pretty closely and noticed he looks a bit "crusty". Looks like some sort of paint to me as well.
As far as light shining through the paint goes..hes a god. God of the sun. He can do whatever he wants lol

His elbow is almost completely brown (in one of the photos). I wonder if when the body markings light up, the paint (if it's paint) covering them turn transparent?

I would post links of some great, large HD shots to show people what I'm talking about, but I believe posting links are against the terms of service?

Well, I can be wrong, of course, but for me is clearly visible that is not paint, but it's a scar tattoo of ancient origin.

For those who doesn't know this kind of art, here are some pictures, others may be a little gross (yeah, for MK), and we shouldn't put this kind of pictures here, but if you are interested, google it.

scarification-arm.jpg

geomet.jpg

caracol_scar_and_tattoo_by_tattoosbygoethe.jpg

To be more ancient, would be something like:

original.jpg

But the most interesting are the Blacklight or UV tattoos. When on normal light, they are like the scar tattoos. But when exposed to UV:

5276330_f260.jpg

amazing-black-hand-skeleton-light-tattoo-712.jpg

And guess what? Sunlight is basically ultraviolet. Kotal Kahn is the sun god, so, it won't be impossible if he visited the right tattooer of Outworld.

My bad, Ledbetter. But I'm not saying the markings on his body aren't tattoos or scars. I actually believe that's what they are. I'm talking about the green coloration covering nearly his entire body. That there looks like it could be paint - perhaps war paint, or something along those lines.

Well, human skin isn't always perfectly uniform in color

True. But it's not just the color. It has cracks and holes in it at certain places, and other things similar. This is really going to bug me until they confirm, or not, if this is really Kotal's skin. I want to post a photo link, but isn't that against the terms of service? I can't post the photo on the forum, or it'll be resized, or stretch out the forum too much.

My bad, Ledbetter. But I'm not saying the markings on his body aren't tattoos or scars. I actually believe that's what they are. I'm talking about the green coloration covering nearly his entire body. That there looks like it could be paint - perhaps war paint, or something along those lines.

Oh, sorry, maybe I misunderstood.

Well, anyway, Kotal Kahn seems to be based on Huitzilopochtli (already said that on other thread), who is the War/Sun/Sacrifice god of the Aztecs, functions that match exactly on his variations. Even though he has a Quetzal's head as his helmet, feathers and snakes (which resembles another god, Quetzalcoatl, known as "the feathered serpent"), it's more likely he is Huitzilopochtli.

And here is Huitzilopochtli:

Huitzilopochtli_V.png

And his skin is green on almost all the representations. Quetzalcoatl the same, when on his human form.

Oh, sorry, maybe I misunderstood.

Well, anyway, Kotal Kahn seems to be based on Huitzilopochtli (already said that on other thread), who is the War/Sun/Sacrifice god of the Aztecs, functions that match exactly on his variations. Even though he has a Quetzal's head as his helmet, feathers and snakes (which resembles another god, Quetzalcoatl, known as "the feathered serpent"), it's more likely he is Huitzilopochtli.

And here is Huitzilopochtli:

Huitzilopochtli_V.png

And his skin is green on almost all the representations. Quetzalcoatl the same, when on his human form.

I do believe Kotal is based on Huitzilopochtli as well, but it's hard to determine if that's Huitzilopochtli real skin or paint. Some internet sources lists it as being paint, others lists it as being his natural skin color.

I think he probally had both, you know, Mesoamerican cultures did have the body painting culture, but I think most gods are not on the same color as humans, specially mayans, who loved a jade-green colored thing.

I think he probally had both, you know, Mesoamerican cultures did have the body painting culture, but I think most gods are not on the same color as humans, specially mayans, who loved a jade-green colored thing.

I guess we'll really never know until it's confirmed or not, lol.

Lol

Well, I just hope he is indeed green and does not spend his time paiting his whole body while he could be conquering the rest of Outworld and other realms.

Otherwise, he wouldn't look like a god, as he probally thinks he is (and may be).

And think about how would he look if he wasn't green for his nature.

Ahau_Kin.jpg

And now, read this one:

Because the Aztec adopted and combined several traditions with their own earlier traditions, they had several creation myths. One of these, the Five Suns describes four great ages preceding the present world, each of which ended in a catastrophe, and "were named in function of the force or divine element that violently put an end to each one of them".[2] Coatlicue was the mother of Centzon Huitznahua ("Four Hundred Southerners"), her sons, and Coyolxauhqui, her daughter. She found a ball filled with feathers and placed it in her waistband, becoming pregnant with Huitzilpochtli. Her other children became suspicious as to the identity of the father and vowed to kill their mother. She gave birth on Mount Coatepec, pursued by her children, but the newborn Huitzilpochtli defeated most of his brothers, who became the stars. He also killed his half-sister Coyolxauhqui by tearing out her heart using a Xiuhcoatl (a blue snake) and throwing her body down the mountain. This was said to inspire the Aztecs to rip the hearts out of their victims and throw their bodies down the sides of the temple dedicated to Huitzilpochtli, who represents the sun chasing away the stars at dawn.

Seems like kid "Kotal" was a mad little guy. And about the [...]"rip the hearts out of their victims and throw their bodies down the sides of the temple dedicated to Huitzilpochtli, who represents the sun chasing away the stars at dawn., if you really don't know it, just watch this from Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto":

Spoiler:
You know, have you read the italic phrase above? Ripping hearts and throwing bodies down temples? I know this is MK and we have seen much worse than this, and I haven't seen a rule for bloody, gory and violent fiction, and I also suppose you are already used to this, because, of course, THIS IS MK. But who knows, right? Maybe you have never seen a fatality :bs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaL1-4sD70

The movie is controversial by portraying the Mayans in a wrong way (or not, for some), but the sacrifice scene is accurate to the AZTECS, the movie did that wrong. Well, as we are talking about them, it's worthy.

Also, this sacrifice is made for Kukulkan (Quetzalcoatl on Aztecs, but remember the scene was a little bit wrong on it's people and god).

[MENTION=18145]Kotal Kahn[/MENTION]

Last edited: