Story Mode Perspective

jdnice11

In MK9 they had 16 Chapters, but all you played was primarily the Heroes of the game with the EXCEPTION of Scorpion who we all know is a neutral character usually side with the villains.

I like this take on things to a certain extent. In stead of just playing a selected character roster for the story, why not have the player PLAY everyone on the main roster.

I think this would be awesome for the simple fact you get EVERYONE'S perspective of what they where doing during certain parts of the story. Plus it wouldn't feel that certain characters just get JOBBED to another character all the time. And Finally it would give us an extended story that im sure we could all appreciate even more.

Anyway, so what are your thought?

I wouldnt mind if you just swapped between characters every fight and got rid of the "chapters". Id rather stick with story relevance rather than what they did in MK9.

Cuz sometimes that shit just got ridiculous, you would start a chapter, and in order to meet the quota of how many fights the character required they would bs some stuff. For example, in cyrax's chapter, did we honestly need to see him fight Sheeva and Baraka?

I definitely want to see the story from the eyes of some of the villains. Maybe not all of them (for example Reptile and Kano would have been a wasted chapter - Sorry), but some of them who play a big role in the story.

There are a lot of perks to showing things from the other side.

Playing as the villains would be cool. If the game takes place in a time span between the end of MK9 to 25 years into the future then I'm going to guess that we will have a really long story mode. 26 chapters would be nice for once.

I'd like it if you could choose a character, any from the roster, and then watch Story Mode be played out through their eyes.

Jaded-Raven:
E.g., you choose Sub-Zero, you fight maybe up to 6-8 people while going through his side of the story. Afterwards you can choose another character, like Cassie, and then you play her side of the Story Mode while fighting 6-8 people. And if Subbie fights Cassie along his storyline, then Cassie will fight Subbie along her storyline as well.

I just think something like this would be awesome and definitely add to the games replay value!
being able to see everyones story would be. I just can't express that enough lol!

And thats how i feel about that LMAO!

While MK9's story mode was alright, I would definitely prefer something along the lines of what jdnice is suggesting. Instead of having one large story mode where several characters get the short end of the stick, you would be able to select a character and play that specific person's storyline.

Of course, the side effect of this is that we would go back to not knowing who's story is the "canon" storyline. So we could spend the next year or two debating about which character actually "won" the tournament until the next MK game reveals the winner. Not really a bad thing, in my opinion.

Certain characters got trashed in MK9's storymode, so if this lets us avoid that, I am all for it. Not to mention it will actually force NRS to sit down and develop some of the lesser known characters.

While MK9's story mode was alright, I would definitely prefer something along the lines of what jdnice is suggesting. Instead of having one large story mode where several characters get the short end of the stick, you would be able to select a character and play that specific person's storyline.

Of course, the side effect of this is that we would go back to not knowing who's story is the "canon" storyline.

What im suggesting is that there is a SINGLE story. And that even though you pic an individual character to play with, all their stories will intertwine with other characters. Eventually revealing the story as a whole making it cannon. Not a ladder match where some characters endings are cannon and some are not.

There are too many characters to develop them all. The way opponents are lined up to fight one another in MK9 felt forced at times.

I'd definitely like to see something along the lines of MKvsDC's story mode. Where you got to pick a side, both being canon but having different perspectives. You choose either Forces of Light or Forces of Dark. Both of the stories lead up to a huge climatic fight that ends in a cliffhanger. Then after beating them both you get an epilogue chapter that finishes the game.

The individual story thing sounds awesome! I'd love to play as Kotal and see who he had to tear through to get to where he is.
Mileena has got to be one of them. The Outworld throne was rightfully hers after the events of MK9 (even Baraka himself blatantly stated this after Kung Lao's chapter ended).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I'd definitely like to see something along the lines of MKvsDC's story mode. Where you got to pick a side, both being canon but having different perspectives. You choose either Forces of Light or Forces of Dark. Both of the stories lead up to a huge climatic fight that ends in a cliffhanger. Then after beating them both you get an epilogue chapter that finishes the game.

I would like this too. I really like the way NRS does their story modes but I would like a faction return. Evil side and good side

What im suggesting is that there is a SINGLE story. And that even though you pic an individual character to play with, all their stories will intertwine with other characters. Eventually revealing the story as a whole making it cannon. Not a ladder match where some characters endings are cannon and some are not.

Love this idea.

Would be a massive project though.

Not plausible.. unless you want a s**t story. Making a story based mode needs to have flow when your writing it from a story perspective and you get that when you follow a single path that makes sense. In other words your story has to revolve around a single character or group. You can implement some of the outside characters view points now and than but if you constantly do it the player/viewer/reader loses focus on who the story is about or main motivation of what the story teller is trying to convey..and general emotion for said individuals or group gets lost and "muddied" up in the context of the story. If you bounced around to ALL of the characters the story would become heavily convoluted and confusing and complete garbage.

I dont' mind having a story mode that sticks to one side or the other... However with that said, yes I would love to play as everyone, but for me what I would do is tell the story from, lets say, the good guy's point of view.. than once you beat the story mode, you would unlock a second story mode that told the same story form the bad guy's point of view changing up who you play etc. This is realistic since if they are going to make a super long story involving everyone you can just cut it up into two parts that actually do better at telling a story and give gamers something else to unlock.. :)