MKX: The MK8 that we never got?

subzert

After Armageddon, we were getting hints as to where the next MK will go. It was going to be a more serious, more dark, gritty Mortal Kombat, with many fighters dead in Armageddon and only a hand were going to return along with lots of brand new characters. But what actually happened was... MK vs DCU. And then midway got in trouble, while the team startex to work on next game(MK9).Eventually Midway went bankrupt and WB games acquired the license and the Midway Chicago studio.

The story continued from Armageddon in MK9 but it went back to the past and changed some events during the MK1-3 time-line. At the end of MK9 many fighters died with few survivors and the events that would lead to the Armageddon were averted.

Now MKX continues from the last game, it's gonna be a more serious, more dark, gritty Mortal Kombat with most of the fighters dead at the end of last game and few survivors along with many new fighters.

This sounds to me like they never totally scraped the idea of what MK8 was originally going to be, it merely got delayed. In a way it was for better i guess, we got the amazing games: Mortal Kombat 2011 & Injustice, and now MKX is coming on an evem better hardware with an even better technology.

Totally psyched for MKX.

Some of the MK X characters also look similar to the sketches made by former Midway employee Vincent Proce (Scorpion, Sub-Zero & Raiden).

Thanks Taj Gill, I was thinking of posting this ever since the gameplay trailer was released. When I saw it, it was exactly how i was imagining MK8 back then in my mind except only more better.

When I saw the trailer for the game, the game did remind me of the original MK8 game. I recall MK8 originally going to have Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Taven and Raiden come back while everyone is dead.

When I saw the trailer for the game, the game did remind me of the original MK8 game. I recall MK8 originally going to have Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Taven and Raiden come back while everyone is dead.

The concept artwork for MK8 also had Kano and Sonya, along with Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden.

My biggest concern storywise is that they're going to just retcon Armageddon. Raiden's meddling with the timeline didn't prevent it, it just made sure Shao Kahn wouldn't be the one to reach the top of the pyramid. The brothers are still scheduled to awaken and Shujinko is still on his quest. I'm hoping NRS takes their lore seriously enough to at least address these points.

My biggest concern storywise is that they're going to just retcon Armageddon. Raiden's meddling with the timeline didn't prevent it, it just made sure Shao Kahn wouldn't be the one to reach the top of the pyramid. The brothers are still scheduled to awaken and Shujinko is still on his quest. I'm hoping NRS takes their lore seriously enough to at least address these points.
I have been playing Deception and Armageddon a lot lately... these games are getting a "vintage" vibe for me and I am actually - now - enjoying them more than when I first played them. I would most likely want those topics adressed sonner or later. Unfortunately, I simply don't see Shujinko and Taven returing to MK as of now. I actually liked their designs and Shujinko could easily been given his own moves. I am actually the only person on the planet that likes Taven ah ah ah and he was the only one having a time control move and had original moves of his own excepting the fireball (that even Scorpion has now)...

Raiden can stop Armageddon if he kills Blaze early on since he's still in his humanoid form and it would be cool to see what happen when we have so many strong fighters without Blaze.

After Armageddon, we were getting hints as to where the next MK will go. It was going to be a more serious, more dark, gritty Mortal Kombat, with many fighters dead in Armageddon and only a hand were going to return along with lots of brand new characters. But what actually happened was... MK vs DCU. And then midway got in trouble, while the team startex to work on next game(MK9).Eventually Midway went bankrupt and WB games acquired the license and the Midway Chicago studio.

The story continued from Armageddon in MK9 but it went back to the past and changed some events during the MK1-3 time-line. At the end of MK9 many fighters died with few survivors and the events that would lead to the Armageddon were averted.

Now MKX continues from the last game, it's gonna be a more serious, more dark, gritty Mortal Kombat with most of the fighters dead at the end of last game and few survivors along with many new fighters.

This sounds to me like they never totally scraped the idea of what MK8 was originally going to be, it merely got delayed. In a way it was for better i guess, we got the amazing games: Mortal Kombat 2011 & Injustice, and now MKX is coming on an evem better hardware with an even better technology.

Totally psyched for MKX.

Armageddon is inevitable...like "Judgement Day"

Just a matter of time

I'm kinda glad they didn't go that route. Those designs are ridiculous, in my opinion.

Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Raiden in MK X resemble those sketches.

Well, the resemblance is undeniable, Sub-Zero even having those horizontal padded stripes, which I guess were never seen in any previous game, and Raiden having those radial cutouts in his hat.

Yeah, Sub-Zero's uniform (minus the mask) stood out as the most similar to me.
Scorpion's design also seems really similar.

It won't surprise me if a few characters in MKX were left over character ideas for MK8. They wanted to reboot the series first before jumping on to new ideas.