Raiden Attitude in MKX

Liu Kang didn't really die in MK9 because the winner of Mortal Kombat is immortal until the next official Mortal Kombat tournament, or am I missing something...

hmmm you're right, there was no 3rd tournament.... it was just an invasion so that part doesn't really count and...
" The Grand Champion him/herself is granted stunted ageing and immortality until the next tournament."
The possibility of a rogue liu kang final boss (in story mode) is pretty high.... then again he could be an unlockable secret saviour/rogue liu kang who is the character who saves the day at the very end. (much higher possibility)

So just out of curiosity does anyone think that there might only be 1 tournament in MKX... Considering this will mostly be about outworld and not earthrealm..... 25 years build up for 1 tournament seems hyped enough! ;)

It was created by the Elder Gods as a way for other realms to defend themselves against Outworld after it grew too powerful.

Liu Kang didn't really die in MK9 because the winner of Mortal Kombat is immortal until the next official Mortal Kombat tournament, or am I missing something...

Yea you are correct...but after MK2...it replaced the sytem of 10 tournments with 1 last tournemnt. The champion of Mortal Kombat does not age until the next Tourney. Now If Raiden has the power to restore Scoprions Family and clan, he could very well ask the elder gods to restore the champion of Earth. (Which i hope happens but I am doubtful.) and with the victory over Outworld in MK2 can Kotal Kahn start a new tournement? And try to claim earth like Shao Kahn? Starting over a new Mortal Kombat Tourney?

I just really hope Raiden is not a total idiot again. His decision making in MK9 never had any logic to it. Especially when you consider the fact that the dude a billion year old DEITY!

I just really hope Raiden is not a total idiot again. His decision making in MK9 never had any logic to it. Especially when you consider the fact that the dude a billion year old DEITY!

"Have trust on the Elder Gods...have trust on him..."

Kidding, screw the Elder Gods. Raiden will get things straight this time! Good decision Raidenlikedeception will be back, I'm sure (I'm dying to be true :laugh: )

"Have trust on the Elder Gods...have trust on him..."

Kidding, screw the Elder Gods. Raiden will get things straight this time! Good decision Raidenlikedeception will be back, I'm sure (I'm dying to be true :laugh: )

Yeah. I'd like to see Raiden go rogue against the Elder Gods a bit. Not quite Dark Raiden again but maybe some Han Soloish Raiden action.

You should be more respectful of Lord Raiden. He is the protector of Earthrealm, the god of thunder!

You should be more respectful of Lord Raiden. He is the protector of Earthrealm, the god of thunder!

I kind of agree with him a bit, though.
Here's the almighty God Of Thunder, and he turns out to be a klutz who accidentally kills Liu Kang because he can't control his own power?

Raiden pretty much said that what he did was an accident......

*After making Liu Kang extra crispy*

"By the Gods, no!"
"No. This was not meant to happen."
"Liu Kang, forgive me."

Just because it wasn't meant to happen, doesn't mean he didn't do it on purpose.

He had to stop Liu Kang somehow

I seriously doubt that he meant to kill Liu Kang.
I'm pretty sure that Raiden's intention was to stop him or knock him out, so that Shao Kahn passes through, and not kill Liu Kang.

Hence, why I said that he accidentally killed Liu Kang.
Klutz God.

^Yeah. Raiden comes off as a klutz by killing Liu, seemingly by accident. I don't think that this necessarily diminishes him as a god though.

I'm no expert theologian, but it seems to me like only the (relatively) modern god of the Abrahamic religions is depicted as all-knowing, all-powerful and ever-present. For most cultures in history, their gods are often depicted as petty, reckless, or even stupid. They get jealous, can be tricked, or have fits of rage just like the mortals who worship them.

Actually even the Abrahamic god has been depicted in these ways. Especially in the old testament, so his status as a supreme being is pretty undeserved if you ask me. My point is that gods can screw up. They're fallible.

Maybe it does in the eyes of the Elder Gods and they replace Raiden in MKX with another EarthRealm protector.
11 warriors who defended EarthRealm died under his watch.
The Elder Gods themselves were culpable in those deaths. After all, their interpretation of the Rules of Mortal Kombat was, and I quote, "Invasion itself is not a transgression. It is the merger of realms that is prescribed."

And the Elder Gods have a well-documented history of looking the other way. What did they do about realms such as Zaterra and Vaeternus (Nitara's native realm) being sacked by Shao Kahn (though Edenia was legally fair game due to losing fair and square in Mortal Kombat)? Why didn't they stop Shang Tsung from seizing control of the Mortal Kombat tournament in Earthrealm (knowing full well he had every intention of rigging the tournament in favor of Outworld)? Why did Raiden and his allies have to act alone in defending Earthrealm from Shao Kahn's flagrant violation of the Rules of Mortal Kombat, in BOTH timelines? What did they do about the rise of the Deadly Alliance, aside from Raiden issuing his resignation from the Elder Gods to stop them himself? How could they not have seen Quan Chi make a duplicate Amulet and give it to Shinnok while retaining the original?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Liu Kang is not immortal. His soul is immortal. Otherwise, he wouldn't have gotten killed in MK:DA. No one elses soul, that i know of, runs around helping others out like he was doing in Mortal Kombat Deception.

Speaking of which...

Why didn't the Elder Gods protect the souls of Raiden's allies during Shao Kahn's invasion in this timeline like they did the original timeline? Further evidence that the Elder Gods were culpable in Sindel's Massacre.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Based on what the new comic describes, I'm going to assume Scorpion is after Raiden possibly having to do with the deal he had at the beginning of MK9. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm glad Scorpion is going after somebody other then Sub-Zero..
But seriously, why go after Raiden?

It was his own fault that Raiden wouldn't request the revival of his family and clan.
He had ONE job...don't kill Sub-Zero.

Scorpions an asshole..