Ed Boon: "Guest characters very likely"

If it's someone from another video game franchise then I guess it could be Doomguy aka Doom Marine. The new Doom game comes out in 2015, Doom and Mortal Kombat help create the ESRB rating system. The new Doom game is reported that you can kill your enemies similar to the fatalities in Mortal Kombat.

its a very valid excuse, they had to add another set of claw hands just for freddy to work. what would they do to jason for it to work, give him TWO machetes? just straight up give him a ninja sword? at least freddy moves quickly and has had somewhat decent scenes that show he could probably pull off some fighting. jason just walks around, swinging his stupid machete.

No, it's not a valid excuse.
He's just a killer.
Pre-MK9, Freddy wasn't a martial arts fighter either.
Why not? They can give an extra claw to Freddy, but they can't give an extra machete or other ability to Jason?
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
ANYONE can be made fast using the MK X gameplay mechanics, so that's not really true either.
Hell, NRS could make the Easter Bunny and Santa Clasue fast if they really wanted to.

and freddys from the dreamrealm, he had alot of potential for special moves. what would jason have for specials? swinging his machete slightly harder then he usually does? or taking off his mask, causing his enemies to puke in disgust?

So can Jason.
You do know that MK characters have fictional powers, right?

oh and im not defending freddy by any means. hes not a fighter so he didn't belong in the game...but jason? thats ten times worse.

It definitely sounded like that.
While I agree that neither of them feel like they belong in the game, you can just ignore the fact that NRS could give special powers to any character that they want, either.
I don't EVER remember Freddy having that Ground Claws move like he did in MK9.

Last edited:
If Spawn does become DLC then I hope Keith David voices him. I always read Spawn comics with his voice in my mind. Spawn is not the same without him. Michael Jai White is also a good choice to voice him if Keith David is too busy.

There's no much logic to the Freddy/Jason discussion, in my honest opinion. Freddy himself didn't have any good reason to be in MK - that's the whole concept of a "guest character", I think. If he had a chance, so does Jason or whoever it may be. They don't need logic to be in MK, that's why they're guests.

They don't need logic to be in MK, that's why they're guests.

They still need to make sense if they are going to be guest. Fans hated Vader and Yoda in SC4 because they didn't fit at all in the SC universe. Robocop is super gory, but I can't see him working in Mortal Kombat.

Of course they don't need it, but it does help the people who don't like them.

Maybe I'm wrong here... but I don't think the guests are chosen based on how likely they are to fit MK. My point is that we know them already and we know they're not part of MK, they're just a novelty. It's hard to look at Freddy and say "oh, now I like him" if you didn't previously. Heck, even MK vs. DC is sort of ludicrous, IMO! I have a feeling that the only thing they (NRS) want is a basic "link" like monsters, gory content, etc.

Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden would work great in the MK universe, but I doubt Team Ninja would allow it. Rumor had it Namco wanted a Dead or Alive character for SC2, but it never happen due to licensing concerns.

Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden would work great in the MK universe, but I doubt Team Ninja would allow it. Rumor had it Namco wanted a Dead or Alive character for SC2, but it never happen due to licensing concerns.

I know that DoA's creator has bashed Tekken quite a bit, so Namco wanting a DoA character for SC2 is somewhat surprising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I guess at the time, there was hardly anyone that they can use for the Xbox version. A Halo character would never work at the time, so they must have to use Spawn instead. Todd's toy company was already doing SC2 figures at the time.

They still need to make sense if they are going to be guest. Fans hated Vader and Yoda in SC4 because they didn't fit at all in the SC universe. Robocop is super gory, but I can't see him working in Mortal Kombat.

Not really.
NRS could put in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause in MK, if it's going to make them the most on DLC sales, and if it's the guest character(s) that people are most excited over.
When it comes to guest DLC characters, it's down to which one will make them the most money.
Freddy in MK didn't make sense either, but he sold the most out of all the DLC, because apparently people are easily titillated by Freddy Krueger himself.

Last edited:
over exaggerate much? seriously...you've used that twice now, and yet i still fail to see why on earth the Easter Bunny would be in MK.

He's saying if the fans are excited for the Easter Bunny and REALLY want the Easter Bunny to be in, then NRS would make him and put him in MK even if it doesn't make sense.

Commander is saying, "If the fans want it and it's in high demand, NRS will put the guest character in, it doesn't have to make sense to be in MK."

over exaggerate much? seriously...you've used that twice now, and yet i still fail to see why on earth the Easter Bunny would be in MK.

Obvious over-exaggeration is obvious.

He's saying if the fans are excited for the Easter Bunny and REALLY want the Easter Bunny to be in, then NRS would make him and put him in MK even if it doesn't make sense.

Commander is saying, "If the fans want it and it's in high demand, NRS will put the guest character in, it doesn't have to make sense to be in MK."

Yes, thank you.
It doesn't matter if it makes sense, if the guest character will sell, NRS will consider it.
They're a business, first and foremost.