Are the reveals lacklustre this time around?

Once the official release date has been announced (hopefully sometime soon). Then the vignettes and other videos that MK9 had will start coming out. I can understand if some people are a bit disappointed considering the hype that was around MK9, that's their opinion.

I loved MK during my childhood, after MK3, my interest in the series took a nosedive. MK9 brought back what I loved about the series, so it's difficult to beat that level of hype. NRS arguably tried too hard with MK9, since they couldn't even keep up with the weekly updates.

Although I'm usually excited for new characters, for some reason, I'm more interested in established characters for MK....perhaps the overwhelming number of lackluster post-MK3 characters left a bitter taste in my mouth. With a good chunk of the cast not returning, I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Last edited:
Although I'm usually excited for new characters, for some reason, I'm more interested in established characters for MK....perhaps the overwhelming number of lackluster post-MK3 characters left a bitter taste in my mouth. With a good chunk of the cast not returning, I can't help but be a little disappointed.

How do you feel about Kotal and co.?

Good for you. Hope she's everything you never wanted.

Nah. I'm not too hard to please. So don't get your hopes up. I'm pretty open and flexible anyways. If there will be no other females I like, I'll just play as Cassie. She has some of the attacks I already like. I'll make the most of everything anyways.

That's just a screenshot of the Loading screen when someone was viewing an E3 Stream. To date there hasn't been any OFFICIAL Sub-Zero render/loading screen shot released similar to the new Kombatants + Scorpion.

That's all that the other hi-res character renders really were, though.
The NRS guys basically took out the "Mortal Kombat X" lettering and the load bar at the bottom, from the loading screen, and without those things it's what the other hi-res renders were.

That's all that the other hi-res character renders really were, though.
The NRS guys basically took out the "Mortal Kombat X" lettering and the load bar at the bottom, from the loading screen, and without those things it's what the other hi-res renders were.

You're right in that regard but I'm saying it would be nice if NRS would just be consistent. There's way more detail in an official released picture, than a screen shot.

The promotion for Mk9 was as such because they needed a lot of publicity to regain trust with the core fans and of course garner new people to get interested. Now MK9 has succeeded. We all trust NRS to do a great job and now they can use more of those assets to deliver a great game. They don't have to do nearly as much convincing as they did before. MK9 and of course Injustice I think has framed their demographic nicely. They want cinematic fights with competition level depth of gameplay and of course a story mode. This is going to be NRS's bread and butter from here on out. They're not going to... for example, move to a 3-d arena like Soul Calibur or the like any time soon. They're going to keep it a 2-D fighter I think. Basically, they're not going to drastically experiment like they did back at Midway.

The promotion for Mk9 was as such because they needed a lot of publicity to regain trust with the core fans and of course garner new people to get interested. Now MK9 has succeeded. We all trust NRS to do a great job and now they can use more of those assets to deliver a great game. They don't have to do nearly as much convincing as they did before. MK9 and of course Injustice I think has framed their demographic nicely. They want cinematic fights with competition level depth of gameplay and of course a story mode. This is going to be NRS's bread and butter from here on out. They're not going to... for example, move to a 3-d arena like Soul Calibur or the like any time soon. They're going to keep it a 2-D fighter I think. Basically, they're not going to drastically experiment like they did back at Midway.

Wow.
Those are some very good points, actually.
I agree.
I wasn't so sure about the whole "WB buying out NRS" thing and how that would go, especially after the terrible MKvsDCU.
MK9 WAS that game that convinced me otherwise, and gave me more confidence in where the series was headed.
It was a building block for Injustice and they got better, just as Injustice was also a building block for MK X and they have learned from that too.
Now with MK9 and Injustice under their belt, NRS has gotten the attention of the DC comics audience, the MK audience and the attention of the general fighting game audience, and it seems like all eyes are on them NOW more than ever.

How do you feel about Kotal and co.?

The only one I find really interesting is D'vorah. Cassie is just bland. The rest are okay. Overall, still better than most post MK3 characters though. I appreciate that the character have different physiques this time around, in previous games almost every character had the same height and build.

Chill out. We only have seven announced characters so far and only one human female. Don't worry... I'm sure you'll get some slutty trash to obsess over eventually.

MK9 have only one too, considering Kitana, Jade and Sindel are not human but edenian and Mileena and Skarlet...

I loved MK during my childhood, after MK3, my interest in the series took a nosedive. MK9 brought back what I loved about the series, so it's difficult to beat that level of hype. NRS arguably tried too hard with MK9, since they couldn't even keep up with the weekly updates.

I loved all the MK games up until Trilogy. After that, it wasn't until MK9 that I started to care about the series again. My biggest gripe is just the horrible new characters they come up with. I don't know how to put it in proper words, there was just an 'MK thing' about all the characters up until after Trilogy. There are some characters here and there afterwards that I didn't mind, I guess, but, I don't know if it makes any sense what I am trying to get across here (I know what I mean, anyway, lol), I just don't get the MK vibe from most new characters.

Okay, so this has been on my mind for a while now, and who knows, it may be just me feeling this way, but do the rest of you get the feeling this time around that the reveals are completely lacklustre when compared to MK9?

I'm saying this because for MK9, for each character revealed, there was a hi-res render released, gameplay trailer, story trailer, fatality trailer, etc.

I'm just not getting the same excitement like I did for the reveals for MK9. Not to mention that after a few days have passed since a reveal, the forum topics become stale again, whereas it was bumping like mad for the last iteration of MK.

Your thoughts?

I know what you mean. It might just be the fact it's too early in the games life to reveal small sections of the story when they probably only have 7 models done.

Might have to wait for like 60% of the roster before we get real story elements.

I loved all the MK games up until Trilogy. After that, it wasn't until MK9 that I started to care about the series again. My biggest gripe is just the horrible new characters they come up with. I don't know how to put it in proper words, there was just an 'MK thing' about all the characters up until after Trilogy. There are some characters here and there afterwards that I didn't mind, I guess, but, I don't know if it makes any sense what I am trying to get across here (I know what I mean, anyway, lol), I just don't get the MK vibe from most new characters.

didn't Tobias quit after MK4? maybe a correlation :)

I know you said trilogy but that's only one title after the trilogy and when they first tried to go 3-D

As Critical-Limit pointed out, this is all due to Tobias leaving.
He was the soul of Mortal Kombat.
Boon was just a programmer, and once he was in charge, he had no clue how to keep the same spirit, and that when things went quickly downhill.

About the reveals, I'd like it if they released renders of all three variants, posed identically, side by side, for each character.

Boon was just a programmer, and once he was in charge, he had no clue how to keep the same spirit, and that when things went quickly downhill.

I agree, if you watch some of the "Bio Kards" for MK:D and MK:A, it sounds like he has no idea wtf he's talking about when he's describing the characters. Especially when it comes to the story aspects.

All things considered, that's pretty sad that the co-creator of the franchise gives off a vibe that he doesn't know his baby inside and out. Reminds me of a "Undercover Boss" scenario when the boss of a company sees for the first time the functions of what the peasants do for his/her company. Like shouldn't you already know this?

In MK1 it would be forgivable that he didn't know the lore/design stuff.
After all, he was the programmer, and I reckon he did a jood job at it.

But the worst of it all is, today Boon is probably nowhere near the development.
In the process of his promotion within NRS, he is now creative director or something like that, meaning his job is now to do what Tobias did.