Are the reveals lacklustre this time around?

Taj Gill

Okay, so this has been on my mind for a while now, and who knows, it may be just me feeling this way, but do the rest of you get the feeling this time around that the reveals are completely lacklustre when compared to MK9?

I'm saying this because for MK9, for each character revealed, there was a hi-res render released, gameplay trailer, story trailer, fatality trailer, etc.

I'm just not getting the same excitement like I did for the reveals for MK9. Not to mention that after a few days have passed since a reveal, the forum topics become stale again, whereas it was bumping like mad for the last iteration of MK.

Your thoughts?

I see what you are saying. Its like the hype is down this time around. I think NRS should probably go about the reveals the same way they did last time. I liked that. That being said i think the reveals are pretty good. Im excited to see them. I can say that I was more hyped about mk9 bc it had been a long time since we had a really good mk. Now we are on the heels of the best selling mk of all time and looking for the encore. I think it will be great though.

Not me.

I don't need an MK9 vignette type of story trailer for MK X.
In fact, I think that it's great that they don't divulge much about the story, so that we find that out when we play the game.
I even think that NRS picked Kotal Kahn for the Raiden reveal because it seems like Raiden fighting against Cassie Cage, Sub-Zero or Scorpion may have given away story plot details in the fight intros between those 3. (Maybe I'm pulling at straws with that.)
The way that NRS revealed Raiden for MK X was perfect.
We got gameplay that showed the potential and combos of the 3 variations, Raiden's new X-Ray and 1 of his fatalities.

I'm more excited for the MK X reveals than I was with the MK9 reveals.
I squealed when the trailer showed up, and my wife laughed at me. :laugh:
With MK9 I had a very good idea of who would be on the roster, especially after Ed mentioned that MK9 was a reboot and that beloved characters from MK1 thru UMK3 would be returning.
With Ed saying that MK X spans 25 years from MK9, though, the possibilities are endless and it could be anyone on that roster.
Hell, after seeing characters like D'Vorah, Ferra/Torr, Kotal Kahn and Cassie Cage, I'm excited to see what else they can come up with.
This isn't the same bankrupt Midway that was rushing to make new characters in the MK: DA thru MK: A era.
This is NRS with plenty of the financial backing from WB, to get the game done right.

I am with Araknyd_Commander on this one, so far I think NetherRealm has handled the marketing for this game fairly well.

I don't particularly want to see story details being revealed this early either. Given the hefty time jump and new faces, doing story trailers for each characters will spoil too much of the plot, I rather not see them go that route. Furthermore, I think the marketing campaign will kick into high-gear when we get closer to release date, right now I'm fine with small drops of info that keep the excitement alive.

Agreed with Mr.Commander.The fact that we know almost nothing about the story this time around is a better way of hype than in MK9 when we knew a lot.Also level of hype=level of disappointment.

Like I said, it may be just me. I kinda want to know a premise of the story, what it's based on. I also want to see more renders of the revealed Kombatants, perhaps a mini bio.

To me, having more knowledge makes me more excited for the main event.

Honestly ive always looked at it as a "beggers cant be choosers" because they dont have to show us anything. NRS always goes beyond the call of duty when it comes to letting us see their games before theyre done.

Whatever they want to give im thankful for.

I feel the same way. I miss the character vignettes and crap like that. It was a great way to promote MK9. I mean, I know we've only had one reveal since the game was first introduced to the public, but it wasn't as exciting as the MK9 stuff.

That being said, I'm enjoying the look and style of this game more than MK9. It's just the promotional process that's boring to me.

What if they mixed it up a little...maybe give us a couple of vignettes and keep some of the other character's fighting styles a secret..that way we can still speculate and try to figure things out ourselves .

I really dont want them to show a fatality at every kharacter trailer either. I' rather wait til the game comes out to see it

I don't have a problem with it.
They only showed 1 character fatality for each.
There's still a 2nd fatality, Stage Fatality and a supposed 3rd slot for another type of -ality (aka either Brutality, Friendship, Animiality, Babality or other finisher) left.

Nah.

For me, the reason I was so hyped about MK9 was that it was a return to the roots of the series that I love; a re-imagining after a slump in the series. There was the nostalgia, and there was also the:

"Oh my God! There's going to be a good MK!"

Feeling that got me pumped.

As we learned more and more about it, it just got better... too good to be true (Even though it wasn't.) We were seeing the characters we knew and loved like it was the first time again.

It brought back something within the community. It was like magic and it sent tantalising tingles running down my spine. It was a flame of hope for the future of MK - a lot of people had lost faith after MK vs DC and everything seemed forlorn after Midway died. The MK series was all but dead.

But it resurrected better than ever.

Understandably, it's hard for MKX to live up to that. MK9 has been and has almost gone. It's comparable to Christmas as a kid. The sheer excitement you felt was amazing and you would love to feel it again, but you can't. You can feel some elation, but it doesn't quite compare.

At least, that's what I think. It's very difficult to explain, and I might have just shitted out more nonsense than londonhellgate.

Understandably, it's hard for MKX to live up to that.

Not for me.
MK X has already surpassed MK9 for me with the new MK X characters, improvements on the classic characters (both visually and seemingly gameplay-wise), variations, stamina, gameplay features, Fatality technology and the much expected improvements to come for the online component.
The online component being improved upon from MK9 to Injustice to MK X, has me SOOOOO hyped.
No more lag and no more Gamespy servers.

I'm very excited about MKX!Im probably even more excited about it than MK9...this time we don't know what to expect.

You know I'm probably wrong but I think the Raiden reveal was whatever for a lot of us and was kind of a bummer...they could have held onto all of that info and gave us Raiden and a new character at comic con or whatever event is next.

I'm really looking forward to MKX, but I understand what you're saying. I do wish they would have the vignettes like they had for MK9. The reason I think they aren't doing them this time around is to try to keep as much of the story a secret as they can. Especially with some of the new characters, I think MK9 style vignettes might reveal too much too early.

Not for me.
MK X has already surpassed MK9 for me with the new MK X characters, improvements on the classic characters (both visually and seemingly gameplay-wise), variations, stamina, gameplay features, Fatality technology and the much expected improvements to come for the online component.
The online component being improved upon from MK9 to Injustice to MK X, has me SOOOOO hyped.
No more lag and no more Gamespy servers.

I'm really hype, too. However, it's not the "I get tingles" hype or the sheer disbelief I had when MK9 was announced.

I just really want to play the game.

With MK9, it was like a light in the dark. There was something special about it and it made me feel like I was watching my Dad play MK2 again and was re-living that desire to play.... it's hard to explain.

I'm not feeling the new reveals so far. Probably because there is not one human-like female that looks Asian/Edenian. Dvorah doesn't count!

I'm really hype, too. However, it's not the "I get tingles" hype or the sheer disbelief I had when MK9 was announced.

I just really want to play the game.

With MK9, it was like a light in the dark. There was something special about it and it made me feel like I was watching my Dad play MK2 again and was re-living that desire to play.... it's hard to explain.

No I understand.
I wish I could go in a hypperbolic chamber and sleep till 2015 arrives just so I can play MKX.

I am hyped to continue where I left off in MK9