Mortal Kombat Journey - FULL BLOWN MK RPG w/ Screenshots + Info

Oh my god that is so much better.
I've always liked the MKII trees because of their human features. It made them look so much more twisted and cruel than the Skull ones MK9 had.

Thanks for the feedback man, wouldn't have made it better if I did not get critiqued :)

I also like them much better. I like the MK9 trees in concept... the idea was a good one, but they really did not hit it right imo... MK2 they made them perfect.

I think the mouths still need some kind of work

Can you elaborate my dude? I just gave them the plain straight closed mouths like in MK2 (when they're not roaring) but if you got any ideas or criticism, shoot. I am all ears.

The problem with that drawing are the facts that
1) You obviously didn't make the original, hence why what you draw on top doesn't fit in. Different styles.
2) Very poor definition. There are no edge highlights between dark and mid-tones and there's absence of depth. It looks like you only used 1 colour ( black), which is not a good idea.

Not trying to be rude, just some criticism. I have no interest in games like this so can't comment on anything else.

The problem with that drawing are the facts that
1) You obviously didn't make the original, hence why what you draw on top doesn't fit in. Different styles.
2) Very poor definition. There are no edge highlights between dark and mid-tones and there's absence of depth. It looks like you only used 1 colour ( black), which is not a good idea.

Not trying to be rude, just some criticism. I have no interest in games like this so can't comment on anything else.
Original what? Background, character?

And there a slight tones, but the heavy use of black is not used for every character or background, it is used only occasionally stand that is to present a darker character.

However, if you think it lacks depth, then that's criticism I can work with, because that means I should continue to fix it up. :)

The only thing I drew in this case was the faces for the trees which I kind of molded onto the trees themselves. I never claimed to have drawn anything else. Anything else I used was either made by one of us working on the game and I am adding to it, or it is open resource.

However I must disagree myself with what you said about not fitting in because of styles. I do believe their different styles, but blend in nicely, at least style wise they match closely in my opinion (mind you the creepy trees will stand out in style against the fantasy-like forest)...

So after trying to different styles, I do think the tree's faces blend in though they are different styles (the background and the trees)

Most of the character's sprites for battle sequences will look different and be different styles, because they're from different parts of MK (some are concept arts, some are from the Malibu comic designs) so I agree they will look different when side by side (ex, the Shokan next to that specific Tarkatan, as there are several Tarkatan designs in the game)

However, I have not attempted nor plan to make the designs look as if I myself made them all. I want them to look different, because it not only honors the design and intention of the original artist but kind of makes it different to the gamer's eyes. I want the game to kind of pay tribute to MK, and everywhere it has gone, and a lot of that has to do with the art.

If you have no interest in the game itself but have feedback for the art, please specifict where you said that there are no edge highlights. I would love to at the very least if not interest you with the mechanics, please you with the design (though I know it is not possible to please everyone) :)

HOWEVER...

I am guessing your whole comment was on the Living Forest and none of it on the Shokan xD

anyways, looking at it, I do agree there could be more midtones, but I was more of pitching the image idea or concept at you guys for a response. After fixing it up a little, tell me what you think...

there's some midtones :) not sure if you think it needs more or less. Tried to not add too much, using the MK2 ones as reference.

Note I haven't touched the tree in the back at all. The two trees that were modified, that isn't the final either. I plan to smooth out the midtones a little more so it all blends much nicer.

I do plan to add some edge highlights later on today.

However no one has posed the same criticism as you, meaning you may be a little overly picky demanding that much depth, considering MK2 Living Trees lack depth a lot... they used very little shadowing, it seemed mostly like one shade, and they still managed to look awesome.

So honestly if you aren't into this type of style of game and cannot realize its more animated and not going to look life-like (I want to stay away from it look realistic, I want an animated look) and if you are not going to be playing this game (judging by your last statement) then I prefer you add little criticism because what you want this game to be, is not exactly what it is intended to be. My concept seems good to others, while you have a complete different idea in mind it seems.

I will have an updated full touch-up later today.

Updated Living Trees with midtones :
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Just a few questions...

1. Are you just showing off the concept of the game? If so, are you planning a kickstarter?
2. Any story details?
3. From what I see, by looking at the pictures, the battle system seems to simulate Earthbound (Mother). Does this mean we won't be able to see our characters when fighting?

Looks awesome. Just a few questions...

1. Are you just showing off the concept of the game? If so, are you planning a kickstarter?
2. Any story details?
3. From what I see, by looking at the pictures, the battle system seems to simulate Earthbound (Mother). Does this mean we won't be able to see our characters when fighting?

Hey thanks a lot man, glad you like what you see! :) stay tuned man :)

1) No not just the concept! Everything is being programmed and designed as we speak! :) Everything you see is in-game shots while beta testing (so nothing is final, per se, that is why I am opening to suggestions and feedback!)
What do you mean by kickstarter though? :)

2) The story follows after Armaggeddon and it entails Earthrealm fighters uniting after such a big event because they find out Shao Kahn did not die as they believed in the battle. So it goes through Outworld's invasion after Armaggeddon and you play the role of Earthrealm fighting back against Shao Kahn's scheme, which not to spoil anything, turns out is much deeper and more sinister than they ever imagined.
The goal of the heroes is to finally kill Shao Kahn and enable a new Outworld ruler to prevent future invasions and attempts at war with Earthrealm, theoretically, ending Mortal Kombat.
It is a pretty long main quest with a lot packed into it! :)

3) Yeah it plays like Earthbound actually, for the most part so yeah unfortunately you do not see your characters fighting, but you do see their animations of their moves and hear their sounds (like "Get Over Here!" when using the spear move).

However, not to seem like I am ahead of anything, we are using a different program and engine for our next project with a different fighting system where you do see the characters as they fight, but that is our project for after we finish this.

Hint, it is an online MK rpg. Basically porting everything with the addition of kreate-a-kharacter so that you can finally BE a Tarkatan, or Shokan...

Thanks for the questions, glad you like the game's reveal so far and have interest. I liked your questions and your signature too ( that is probably honestly top 5 best fatalities imho) but that's cause I am Team Quan Chi XD

Last edited:
Sorry for the double-post...

Here is an update on the Trees. Darker, without so much straight black. Looks smokey, like MK2 trees. Still kept it looking animated and not realistic...

Think depth-wise and artistically it looks much better.

Spoiler:

Hey thanks a lot man, glad you like what you see! :) stay tuned man :)

1) No not just the concept! Everything is being programmed and designed as we speak! :) Everything you see is in-game shots while beta testing (so nothing is final, per se, that is why I am opening to suggestions and feedback!)
What do you mean by kickstarter though? :)

2) The story follows after Armaggeddon and it entails Earthrealm fighters uniting after such a big event because they find out Shao Kahn did not die as they believed in the battle. So it goes through Outworld's invasion after Armaggeddon and you play the role of Earthrealm fighting back against Shao Kahn's scheme, which not to spoil anything, turns out is much deeper and more sinister than they ever imagined.
The goal of the heroes is to finally kill Shao Kahn and enable a new Outworld ruler to prevent future invasions and attempts at war with Earthrealm, theoretically, ending Mortal Kombat.
It is a pretty long main quest with a lot packed into it! :)

3) Yeah it plays like Earthbound actually, for the most part so yeah unfortunately you do not see your characters fighting, but you do see their animations of their moves and hear their sounds (like "Get Over Here!" when using the spear move).

However, not to seem like I am ahead of anything, we are using a different program and engine for our next project with a different fighting system where you do see the characters as they fight, but that is our project for after we finish this.

Hint, it is an online MK rpg. Basically porting everything with the addition of kreate-a-kharacter so that you can finally BE a Tarkatan, or Shokan...

Thanks for the questions, glad you like the game's reveal so far and have interest. I liked your questions and your signature too ( that is probably honestly top 5 best fatalities imho) but that's cause I am Team Quan Chi XD

By kickstarter i'm pretty sure he was talking about the site that allows people to help fund a project like MK Journey.

On the trees, I think you fixed it now. They look more like the mk2 trees now. I just couldn't really figure what I felt was alittle off about it.

By kickstarter i'm pretty sure he was talking about the site that allows people to help fund a project like MK Journey.

On the trees, I think you fixed it now. They look more like the mk2 trees now. I just couldn't really figure what I felt was alittle off about it.

Glad you think I fixed the trees now. I think they are good now too! :)

I have been suggested to start a kickstarter, maybe I will! I would love support in money for all the work my friends are putting in with me, at least I could pay them xD

The Tree problem is done. Congratulations!!

Thanks bud, you guys were the ones to fix it really though.

Been having this chat with the team working on our game... should there be skills in the game solely for profit? Such as mining in the Cobalt Mines of the Shokan for money or mining iron to smith weapons to sell? Or hunting to make fur?

Want some voices in this idea.

Thanks bud, you guys were the ones to fix it really though.

Been having this chat with the team working on our game... should there be skills in the game solely for profit? Such as mining in the Cobalt Mines of the Shokan for money or mining iron to smith weapons to sell? Or hunting to make fur?

Want some voices in this idea.

I don´t like this ideia, but, i´ll play it anyway.

Last edited:
What skills would you like seeing in the game? Why? And some situations where it would be cool?

Not updating much until after my vacation!

Got a lot of surprises and reveals when I come back.

Still want to hear ideas from long-time MK fans that always wanted an RPG.

Maybe a skill like persuasion. For recruiting chars and/or getting a good deal on an item your buying for half price.

Good luck on this project, is all I can say. Every time I try to do something like this, I either fail miserably or lose interest...

Good luck on this project, is all I can say. Every time I try to do something like this, I either fail miserably or lose interest...

That is why it helps to have a team helping you do everything, for free!

Updates coming soon, I am back from my vacation. I decided not to add the monetary skills I mentioned earlier.

Sorry for double-posting, but I need some help.

I have not played Shaolin Monks in a long time, but the bloody skeleton enemies you fight on the ship with Sub-Zero...

does anyone know their official name?

Updated Outworld Background (darkened, reduced details on catapult)

Spoiler:

Bloody Skeletons ready to claw their prey!
Spoiler:

Leave your thoughts/feedback! :) I will listen, compromise, and change things if it seems to be overwhelmingly known to everyone as an issue.