Is Ed Boon sure he's doing the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_pathfinder

I understand trying to progress the storyarc, introduce new characters Etc. Etc., But I think it may backfire on NRS/WB painfully. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the new characters- namely D'Vorrah and Kotal Kahn- but I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the characters we grew up with and identify as Mortal Kombat icons may be gone with the wind by MK11. Johnny Cage and Sonya are surely gone, this is their last hurrah, The Shaolin Monks may be gone or too old, All the dead heroes in the netherrealm are likely going to stay there, the Outworld warriors are obviously going to be phased out. Not everybody likes change.

Part of MK9's success was it's nostalgia factor, a return to the ways of old and a total retcon of the PS2 era and all it's travesties (including all the new characters spawned in those games). Who's to say we're not going to get more Kobras and Tsu Haos this time around? They've come too far in redeeming the franchise and returning it to it's glory days just to blow it all away.

What if, between MKX and MK11, a movie gets made and it has all the characters they just got rid of in prominent roles in the story? The new fans will be asking why the characters from the movie aren't in the games anymore. Do you think Ed Boon & Co. are ready for that?

Anyways, I'm still on the fence about buying MKX, after all the waiting and speculating over the last 3 years, I'm personally not too enthused about the next installment. Especially since Ed mentioned the bulk of the story taking place 25 years after the end of MK9 and that a huge chunk of the roster will be new. Are the long time fans ready for their beloved MK to become unrecognizable? I for one am not. And if this game does indeed flop, we may get yet another reboot, which would harm the franchise's reputation.

I don't want to play MK4 HD, figuratively speaking. It's good to see they're going with something new and fresh. They showed off 4 brand new characters, all of which were better than 99% of the MKDA-MKA newbies. NRS isn't being rushed like they were with the 3D MK games. So they have time to flex their creativity.

If the cast isn't recognizable, who cares? They have the stars in the game and that's all that matters. Nobody says "If Kabal and Stryker aren't in MK then I'm not buying it!" They have Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Boon already hinted at Raiden, so they already have the 'faces of Mortal Kombat'. Every character after them is just icing on the cake.

Johnny Cage and Sonya are surely gone, this is their last hurrah

How did you jump to this conclusion so fast?

The Shaolin Monks may be gone or too old

Gone? Probably not. Older? Yup, probably just like Sonya and Johnny. I've yet to see a problem here. Older characters can be badass. Raiden and Shang Tsung say hello.

All the dead heroes in the netherrealm are likely going to stay there

No one ever stays put in Mortal kombat.

Not everybody likes change.

Yet change is inevitable to keep the series thriving.

As long as Scorpion and Sub Zero in it then it fine. It will not flop im sure. Just because certain classic characters aren't in doesn't mean it wont do well.

I like that NRS are making new characters for the series. It what was dissapointing about MK9 no new characters aside from Skarlet. If you want classic characters play MK9.

I want certain classic characters to return however I want new characters as well for the series. Change is good and can't have the same thing over and over.

I will be buying MKX cause I love the series. If a certain character I like doesn't make it in oh well. Still buying it cause I dont buy MK games just because a certain character not in. I really hope there are 12 or more new MK characters.

Besides im sure iconic MK characters like Liu Kang, Raiden, and Kung Lao will make it in.

So far, the game looks awesome ! I love new characters, and the fact that MKX is darker !

Let NRS make something NEW ! I don't mind if they loose money or not, i'm VERY excited by what i see of MK !!

PS : Tekken 3 ALSO took place 20 years later (than Tekken 2)... did anyone still complain about it ?

You should care if they lose or make $ though. The bigger the pot, the more likely another MK is made. We don't need another dark age.

I do get what you're saying though. No risk, no reward. Know risk, know reward.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Way I see it... change can lead to flop... but stagnation is a sure way to flop and stop sales quick. Look at SF... you cannot tell me their recent Ultra SF has sold nearly as many as their big change SF games.

Absolutely, if they continued to reboot the series again and again, MK would find itself in a deadlock - little progress or development progress or development. Exactly why I lost interest in the Tekken series, after Tekken 5 it was pretty much just expanding the previous installment.

I think a more relevant example is Street Fighter III, which went with a new generation. While embraced by the fgc, it didn't sell well and left a big gap until IV. They were a bit too ambitious and you can tell how they rectified it through the roster from iteration to iteration.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

im all up for totally new characters but im not a fan of the ones theyve introduced so far. to be honest i dont like what im seeing with the game so far as it does not look like the developers are expanding on the work they did for MK9 and have thrown all that to one side and decided to take their Injustice model and turn it into MK. cant fool me though

so i dont think theyre doing the right thing by following their injustice engine rather than following up from their MK9 engine.

injustice killed MK

Last edited:
The story takes place right after MK9 and goes as far as 25 years in the future. I don't know why that makes you think Johnny and Sonya will not be in the game.

I don't really give a shit about who's in and who's not. I'm going to be buying the game regardless since it's MK.

Ed also hinted at Johnny and/or Sonya being in the game when talking about Cassie performing fatalities on family members.

Sure MK9 banked on nostalgia factor, but that was only half of it. Do people forget that ALL the characters, even the shitty ones, were in Armageddon...which is easily considered one of the worst fighters of all time, or at least in recent history? MK9 banked mainly because it was a good game, which I'm sure they will continue and expand upon with MKX. As far as returning characters though, I don't see the point in featuring the same characters in EVERY game, the old games still exist and you can still play them, and quite frankly with a franchise as ancient at this point as MK...change can be a very good thing, if done CORRECTLY this time around. And it's not like they said NO characters will return, some will and some won't, just as in any other logical story or sequel to something...I mean what would be the point in making MK9 again exactly the same? For what? Make the same game ten times and add like a new stage, or throw in Jarek or some other forgettable character and call it a new game like what Capcom does with SF? I'll take something new, creative, and innovative any day over that BS.

Still not sure about the characters. They feel like Injustice characters. I'd want at least 1 character that will give me the feeling of playing as a half dressed Edenian woman who uses weapons and is not a monster.

I'm not sure why some of you don't want many new characters. Until MKA, all games had many new characters.

If we're counting boss and hidden boss :
- MKII had 10 new characters and 7 returning.
- MK3 had 8 new characters and 10 returning.
- MK4 had 8 new characters and 9 returning.
- MKDA had 11 new characters and 13 returning.
- MKD had 9 new characters and 17 returning.

Now they have rebooted the serie, I hope they consider add 8 to 10 new characters in each game.

I don't necessarily agree but I can see what you mean. We've all been following MK for years and - to me - the only time MK new characters really failed was in MK4 and Deception really. Deadly Alliance had great new characters with different looks and specials. MK4 and Deception was basically copypasting.

That being said, I don't see that in X. Cassie Cage is not ripping off Cage and Blade's specials, you can see influences there but Cassie is still fresh. Ferra and Torr are unique all the way. Kotal Kahn is SPECTACULAR. D'Vorah is PHENOMENAL. Sorry I just don't see it at this point. All these new four characters are fresh, look unique and have their own specials - which is something characters like Jarek, Shinnok, Kira or Kobra didn't. Now, if the rumours are right and we have 14 new characters... we'll discuss it later. As of now, I don't agree with you. The new characters shown so far are great.

I've been a die hard fan for 20 years and it's a given that everyone has different favorites and others they could care less about. With that said, obviously there are some people that will disagree with me here but I think people think all original characters from the trilogy and are good because they're from the original trilogy. I really don't think the majority of people would miss characters like Stryker, Sheeva, Johnny Cage and Kano.

With so many of these characters dead, I think this is the perfect opportunity to leave people like them out and bring new ones in. Obviously they are going to bring some of them back like Ermac who I think is still alive and no one ever truly stays dead in mk. This sets things up to test the waters with introducing many new fighters that if given the chance, May become new favorites for many people and have new speacial moves to play around with. I personally love the new, darker tone they are going with and the fact that they are trying something new. I just say give it a chance. We've only seen 4 new characters without even playing as them yet and still have a lot more to go. I personally also think that the new ones so far are pretty interesting. They might have really cool stories to go with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.