Least favorite album from your favorite band(s)?

nemesiswontdie

When it comes to your favorite band, you always have a album that's your absolute favorite, but what's your least favorite album that they've put out?

Spoiler:

NIN being my favorite band of all time and I love almost all of the albums and soundtracks Trent does but Ghosts is on the bottom of all of the NIN stuff I love. While good, it's definitely far from my favorite. I've honestly only listen to Ghosts all the way through about once. If I want instrumentals, I'll listen to video game soundtracks. Ghosts just doesn't do it for me.

Spoiler:

Rabies is a close second, but Mythmaker takes the cake on this one. I cannot stand this album at all. Greater Wrong of the Right was great, but Mythmaker just lacks all around. Just as bad as Rabies (Rabies' only saving grace is Worlock. I like Tin Omen but if I wanted to listen to something that sounded like Ministry, I'd listen to Ministry).

Spoiler:

The beginning of the fall of Marilyn Manson. Not a single song on here I like. Not a single damn song. Everything from Portrait of an American Family to Holy Wood is fantastic, amazing works of art, but after Holy Wood, everything went to (This Is The New) shit.

Spoiler:

I love Static X, believe it or not. Wisconsin Death Trip is a great debut album and every album from then to Cannibal is fantastic (I even like Shadow Realm). The worst part about this album was that I was SO excited for it. Then I listened to the first single, Stingwray and all hope was lost. I then bought the album and listened to every track on it and hated all of them. Just flat out awful. You can tell that Wayne Static really didn't want to do this album. Even after Cult of Static came out, the band broke up (back together if I recall) but it really was a shame that Cult of Static was just god awful, but it's hard to make a great record again after Cannibal because Cannibal was a fantastic album

Iron Maiden- The X Factor
KISS- Psycho Circus, Hot in the Shade, Animalize and Monster all come joint least favorite
AC-DC- Flick of the Switch
Judas Priest-Nostradamus
Metallica- St Anger
Megadeth- Risk

They are the standout albums that I have found to be the worst I've heard from a handful of the bands I listen to.

Judas Priest - Turbo
-The use of guitar synthesizers was a left-turn Priest should NEVER have made. "Don't fix what's not broken" certainly applied to this band. Perhaps this album would be much better if they had stayed with their traditional sound...

Megadeth - Risk
-Megadeth spent much of the 90s in competition with Metallica (Dave Mustaine's pre-Megadeth band) in search of that elusive #1 spot on the Billboard 200. The closest they came was with 92's "Countdown to Extinction", which was beat out only by Billy Ray Cyrus' "Some Gave All". Megadeth even changed managers from Ron Laffitte to Bud Prager, the latter of whom guided bands such as Foreigner and Bad Company to massive mainstream success. In an interview, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich stated that Mustaine should "take some more creative risks", hence the title of this clunker. The album contained elements of other genres, but was nearly devoid of metal. The use of the NHL, WCW, and the Universal Soldier movie to promote the album's lead single ultimately proved to be a flop, which set the tone for the sales performance of the album (in fact, it was the band's first album since their debut not to receive RIAA certification), and Prager paid for this with his job, while longtime guitarist Marty Friedman quit the band to pursue other musical interests once Mustaine made it clear that he wanted Megadeth to get back to its metal roots. Additionally, Risk was also the band's final studio album released by Capitol Records. They released a compilation album the next year to get out of their deal with Capitol and sign with the now-defunct Sanctuary Records. Within 3 years, Megadeth would be disbanded due to a nerve injury suffered by Mustaine, and while the band was reactivated in 2004 upon Mustaine's recovery, the band would be without co-founder David Ellefson until 2010.

Metallica - The entire string of albums released between 1991 and 2003
-Metallica streamlined their sound to appeal to a more mainstream audience with their self-titled 5th album, otherwise known as "The Black Album". It launched the band into international superstardom, but it seemed as though the band was changing their style to keep up with the times, as evidenced by the next 3 albums; an alternative-type sound on Load and Re-Load, and a detuned, no guitar solo sound reminiscent of nu-metal on St. Anger. While all 4 albums debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, they no doubt alienated many longtime fans....myself included, I must admit (the Napster controversy of 2000 that began when "I Disappear" got leaked alienated fans even further). They didn't return to anywhere close to their classic form until 2008's Death Magnetic. Additionally, the band nearly fell apart during this string of albums as a result of the 2001 departure of Jason Newsted (who would not officially be replaced for 2 years) and James Hetfield's stint in rehab.

Exodus - Force Of Habit
Testament - The Ritual
-The above two albums were written, recorded, and released at a very tough time in metal's history. Thrash had major potential to unseat glam as the prominent subgenre in rock, as evidenced by the Clash of the Titan's tour headlined by Megadeth and Slayer in 1990/1991. However, in late 91, the entire rock world was turned upside down with the emergence of Grunge. All of a sudden, bands who dominated the 80s metal world suddenly found themselves either dropped by their record labels, disbanded, or under pressure by record label executives to change their sound to fit in with modern trends. Exodus and Testament were among the bands who felt the pressure to change with the times, and it resulted in albums that just didn't stand up to any of their material before or since. The Ritual would turn out to be Testament's last album with the "Classic line-up", and their last with lead guitarist Alex Skolnick until 2008's "The Formation of Damnation", while Exodus briefly disbanded following Force of Habit, which turned out to be their last studio album for the next 12 years.

KISS - Dynasty
-KISS established themselves as one of the premier hard rock bands of the 1970s, but even they were not immune to pressure to keep up with the times. During the 70s, disco was the biggest music fad, and the band made an effort to score a hit using disco elements. The result was "I Was Made For Lovin' You"...needless to say, that song alone completely ruined the Dynasty album, and within a few years, Peter Criss and Ace Frehley would be out of the band, replaced by the late Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent, respectively, and by 1983, the band's iconic make-up was gone.

Van Halen - Van Halen III
-I can tolerate the "Van Hagar" albums, but Gary Cherone in VH is FAR worse than Justin Bieber in my book...is it any coincidence that the Gary Cherone experiment was a one album wonder, and that this album was not followed up for 14 years? Oh, and by the way, VH3's follow-up not only had a different singer (original frontman David Lee Roth, to be exact), it also had a different bassist (Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang...Michael Anthony quit VH around the time of the band's Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame induction to work with former VH frontman Sammy Hagar in Chickenfoot).

Last edited:
Lacuna Coil- Shallow Life: They went with Don Gilmore as the prducer and completely Americanized their sound and went to a more Alt Rock style on this album. But it was really bland boring Alt rock. Thier follow up Dark Adenaline also produced by Gilmore was an improvement over this, but still does nothing for me. I just hope they stay away from Gilmore for their next album.

Tristania- A tie between Ashes and Illumination: I just found these efforts completely boring.

HIM- Dark Light: The first four tracks are actually really good, but after that the album really falls apart. Nothing stands out.

I didn't like Led Zeppelin's Presence or Coda. Both albums were meh....

@ Tarkatan: Indeed, Turbo sucked, though I like Turbo Lover, the only good song on the album, imo.

I didn't like Led Zeppelin's Presence or Coda. Both albums were meh....

@ Tarkatan: Indeed, Turbo sucked, though I like Turbo Lover, the only good song on the album, imo.

Are you effin' kidding me?! Turbo Lover caused me to stop listening to Priest for about 3 years when I first heard that song, and that's not the type of song to be proud of! About the only things worse were when Celtic Frost went glam, and when KISS went disco!

One Artist:
Lindsay Lohan's "A Little More Personal" album.
Not really much good songs there except, "I Live For The Day".

Band:
Destiny's Child's first few albums before they were down to 3 people.

Last edited:
One Artist:
Lindsay Lohan's "A Little More Personal" album.

With all the shit I've heard about her, she will be EXTREMELY lucky if she avoids joining the 27 Club, and you can quote me on that even if she doesn't!

Notable members of this infamous club include influencial blues musician Robert Johnson (May 8, 1911 - August 16, 1938; suspected strychnine poisoning), Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones (February 28, 1942 - July 3, 1969; drowning), Jimi Hendrix (November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970; drug-related asphyxiation), Janis Joplin (January 19, 1943 - October 4, 1970; heroin overdose), Doors frontman Jim Morrison (December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971; suspected heart failure), Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain (February 20, 1967 - April 5, 1994; suicide), and Amy Winehouse (September 14, 1983 - July 23, 2011; alcohol poisoning). One musician who narrowly avoided it was Suicide Silence frontman Mitch Lucker, who crashed his motorcycle while under the influence of alcohol 12 days after his 28th birthday.

Are you effin' kidding me?! Turbo Lover caused me to stop listening to Priest for about 3 years when I first heard that song, and that's not the type of song to be proud of! About the only things worse were when Celtic Frost went glam, and when KISS went disco!

I thought turbo was ok. not screaming for vengeance good, but it wasn't the pile of shit nostradamus is.

Metallica - The entire string of albums released between 1991 and 2003
-Metallica streamlined their sound to appeal to a more mainstream audience with their self-titled 5th album, otherwise known as "The Black Album". It launched the band into international superstardom, but it seemed as though the band was changing their style to keep up with the times, as evidenced by the next 3 albums; an alternative-type sound on Load and Re-Load, and a detuned, no guitar solo sound reminiscent of nu-metal on St. Anger. While all 4 albums debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, they no doubt alienated many longtime fans....myself included, I must admit (the Napster controversy of 2000 that began when "I Disappear" got leaked alienated fans even further). They didn't return to anywhere close to their classic form until 2008's Death Magnetic. Additionally, the band nearly fell apart during this string of albums as a result of the 2001 departure of Jason Newsted (who would not officially be replaced for 2 years) and James Hetfield's stint in rehab.

ok I admit st. anger was crap. but I don't think everything after justice is. lol. people are just butt hurt cuz "they're metallica". megadeth doesn't get called sellouts for albums like cryptic writings or risk, iron maiden doesn't get called sellouts for everything after fear of the dark. I think they have some good songs in that time period but those songs are not near as good as the older stuff they released. I have absolutely no problem with the black album. I would group it with master of puppets before re-load instantly.

and I know you didn't say sellouts in your post but it looks like that's what you are implying. people have to understand that time changes, people change, and music changes. like in the 90's music didn't sound the way it did in the 50's. I think people should expect and accept change in music every so many years.

Last edited:
Alice in Chains - anything after Layne Died

Avenged Severfold - Hail to the King

Ozzy Osbourne - Scream

Seether - Holding on to strings better left to fray

Dio - Master of the Moon

Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor

OOMPH! - Unrein

With all the shit I've heard about her, she will be EXTREMELY lucky if she avoids joining the 27 Club, and you can quote me on that even if she doesn't!

Notable members of this infamous club include influencial blues musician Robert Johnson (May 8, 1911 - August 16, 1938; suspected strychnine poisoning), Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones (February 28, 1942 - July 3, 1969; drowning), Jimi Hendrix (November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970; drug-related asphyxiation), Janis Joplin (January 19, 1943 - October 4, 1970; heroin overdose), Doors frontman Jim Morrison (December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971; suspected heart failure), Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain (February 20, 1967 - April 5, 1994; suicide), and Amy Winehouse (September 14, 1983 - July 23, 2011; alcohol poisoning). One musician who narrowly avoided it was Suicide Silence frontman Mitch Lucker, who crashed his motorcycle while under the influence of alcohol 12 days after his 28th birthday.

Yeah true.

I also am not a fan of...

Beyoncé's last album. For her new one, I hope it'll be good this time.

Britney's Britney Jean. I'm still a fan of Britney but there are only 3 songs I like from that album... "Work B****", "Body Ache", and "Perfume (The Dreaming Mix)". The other songs sound like flops to me. I hope she remixes the whole album!